Posting naughty stuff.

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well, no. What I see is that most people will notice and not swear, and the occasionaly time in which they do it gets censored.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:You know, I never did understand the point of language censors.
Same here.

But this is America. Land of censorships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PupI1HytQW4
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

um....did I miss something WHY IS VILKACIS NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE?! :VERYcaf:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Fenrir wrote:um....did I miss something WHY IS VILKACIS NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE?! :VERYcaf:

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... 116#100116

Vilkacis wrote:
Personally, I apologize for that. I would love to spend as much time as I used to with the Pack, but I'm making some heavy handed moderation of my own life right now, and the Pack simply has to make way for more important things. I know this leaves you in a bad position, but I am no longer willing to pay the high price I once did.

So when it comes down to it, it's really only you and Lupin.

-- Vilkacis
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Vilkacis wrote:You know, I never did understand the point of language censors.

Is '(Bleep)' or 'F*&!' really any less offensive when the context is obvious? Not to me.

I can only think of two good reasons for a language filter:

1) Remind the poster that they've crossed the line so that they can re-think their response, or

2) Embarrass the thoughtless poster.

Of the two, the second is not only a lot more fun, but much more effective.

Are we sending the message that swearing is fine so long as it's obfuscated? I think it should either be 100% allowed, or 100% not tolerated.

But that's just my opinion.

-- Vilkacis
IMHO, some thoughts simply can not be trasnlated in words with the intended emotion without the use of the occasional "Extreme Explative"...

...however, most of these words are references to things that are either sexually innapropriate, and completely out of context, or simply foul and disgusting.

Personally, I find 'Implied' profanity slightly less offensive that blatant crudeness. I sensor myself, actually...as I never use such language myself...but still feel the need to imply the emotions behind such words from time to time.

Enforcing Censorship is sort of like setting up speed bumps. To avoid tripping over them, one needs to tread carefully and choose thier words wisely. If one lets thier anger get away with them, the automatic censors will scramble thier messages, and seeing all those symbols and punctuations in place of the words they typed should hopefully catch thier attention and make them aware that they've crossed a line.

I would hope that most of us have good concience enough to feel embarrased after posting a message that requires a great deal of censoring, as you suggested Vilkacis.

[spoiler](However...I do not support the attitude of "Revenge", or the idea that it is somehow FUN to watch others screw up and suffer public humiliation. ...it may be human nature to commonly wish ill upon those who displease us, but it's still messed up and wrong.)[/spoiler]
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Vuldari wrote:(However...I do not support the attitude of "Revenge", or the idea that it is somehow FUN to watch others screw up and suffer public humiliation. ...it may be human nature to commonly wish ill upon those who displease us, but it's still messed up and wrong.)
I suppose you're right.

I don't remember where, but I've heard tell of a forum where select swear words were replaced with something like 'puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy'. (This is what I was thinking when I made my post.)

People might think twice before saying:
I find it hard to talk when having the phrase I want to puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy your puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy sensored.
or
Ban the little puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy, they aren't adding anything to the board; they're just here to get attention or piss people off.
I hadn't really thought of it as a point of cruelty, but I suppose perhaps it is.

-- Vilkacis
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Vilkacis wrote:
Vuldari wrote:(However...I do not support the attitude of "Revenge", or the idea that it is somehow FUN to watch others screw up and suffer public humiliation. ...it may be human nature to commonly wish ill upon those who displease us, but it's still messed up and wrong.)
I suppose you're right.

I don't remember where, but I've heard tell of a forum where select swear words were replaced with something like 'puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy'. (This is what I was thinking when I made my post.)

People might think twice before saying:
I find it hard to talk when having the phrase I want to puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy your puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy sensored.
or
Ban the little puppy, puppy, puppy, puppy, they aren't adding anything to the board; they're just here to get attention or piss people off.
I hadn't really thought of it as a point of cruelty, but I suppose perhaps it is.

-- Vilkacis
HA!

...that's actually pretty clever...

I wonder how effective that was? ...for discouraging the use of excessive profanity, that is...

A personal pet-peeve of mine is when people bypass the censors by spacing out the letters, or putting dashes or stars inbetween so it slips through...or using odd spelling like Ph*** ***, etc, etc.

Apparently, being absolute jerks is so important to them that they take the time to come up with new ways to fool the censors every time the filters adapt to them. ...people like that just make me sick. They should take the hint and shut up, or at least say something constructive.

*grumble* ... *sigh*
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I know all about it. The places where I've been moderator, I always say that you can curse and shout whatever you want, if you just leave it with that, and that usually works.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

As was pointed out at the head of this particular section, there are investors watching this forum (and probably still are).
None of us wants to say or "hear" anything that would offend and turn off those investors, would we? After all, it's those same investors that will make "Freeborn- the motion picture", possible...
Although personally, I'd prefer Freeborn as a "Musical", most of the classic musical teams are either dead or retired.... :lol: :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...