PM trouble (splitted from "New Layout")

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Is there work being done on the board already? I am having some problems. I got e-mail notification of a pm received and there was nothing there.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

PariahPoet wrote:Is there work being done on the board already? I am having some problems. I got e-mail notification of a pm received and there was nothing there.
No, I haven't made any changes yet. And when you get a PM notice e-mail and there isn't a PM, that means whoever wrote the PM to you decided to delete it before you could see it.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Hmm....didn't know you could delete a pm that's already been sent. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ok, this is getting really, really annoying! I keep getting PM emails with no PMs. I'm getting them at least once a week. Either I have a stalker or something on the site is screwing up. Could it maybe be a spam bot that sends pms, but the post disappears once the bot is caught and expelled?

Anyway it is getting on my nerves! :evil:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

You're saying that you're getting an E-Mail in your E-Mail account that says there is a PM for you at the Pack; but when you check there is no PM on file; just the E-Mail notice?

I remember this happening on another board, and it was a glitch with one of the actual threads, triggering the response...if you were "watching" that thread, and somebody posted to it, you got a PM notice in your E-Mail, rather than the thread notice. It was, as I recall, a glitched internal address.
Try "un-watching" some of the threads you are "watching" now and see if it goes away.
That's the best I can offer... :(
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Actually, I believe I haven't subscribed to any threads. If I have it was ages ago, nothing that would have new posts.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

I splat the posts into a separate topic since it was irrelevant to "New layout".

Otherwise, I don't think the software is that poorly designed to send a "private message notice" instead of a "topic notification reply". How many of these messages are you getting in a day? If I can manage some time tomorrow, I'll write a small modification to record all private messages that come to you, to see who's doing it, if it's a terrible bug, and so on. Thus the records won't be deleted when the actual private message is deleted. (since deleted private messages are totally deleted from the forum, they're never kept in a hidden spot)
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Well, that sounds like a lot of trouble. I don't think it's enough of a problem to warrant all that extra effort. Right now I seem to be getting maybe two a week, it's not a daily thing.