[Pre-production stage] Web-based IRC client

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

[Pre-production stage] Web-based IRC client

Post by takyoji »

Currently I'm starting a basic project of writing a better IRC client for the IRC PackChat. Little do some people know, there's actually a more active chatroom for The Pack rather than the Java one on the website. It's at http://kiri.nonexiste.net:2001/ However, it's very basic, doesn't make a sound when someone says something while you're not checking the window, etc.

Thus, I'm planning on making a more special IRC client that'll provide a couple more features and then officially replace the Java chat with the web-based IRC client that I'm going to write. Some of the ideas of additional features will include:
  • Sound notifications
  • An authentication system thus someone taking somebody else's username won't be much further of a problem while still allowing guests and so on.
  • The wolf emoticons
  • A special theme for The Packs Den
  • User profiles that'll be visible right from the client
  • No requirement of having Java installed since it'll be written in Javascript instead (NOTE: Java and Javascript are ENTIRELY different programming languages. Also, Javascript is built into the browser, Java isn't)
  • File transfer support (if my concept works well)
Those are a couple of ideas and I figured that it would be reasonable for people to critique or add to the ideas first before I really do much. Also note, this is my first project with writing a moderately-sized Javascript, thus not all features might be implemented instantly.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Re: [Pre-production stage] Web-based IRC client

Post by Moss27 »

Maybe a spam blocking system that will block people who are trying to type too fast?

If not, that's okay.
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

Moss27 wrote:Maybe a spam blocking system that will block people who are trying to type too fast?

If not, that's okay.
Actually, that's rather simple. A bot could be written to kick a person off the channel if they're doing something undesired.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

Cool. I've been to so many places without bots, people just get annoying after a while. :)
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"