Werewolf Code?

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Werewolf Code?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Does anyone here remember the "Werewolf Code" that was invented as a spin off of the Geek Code?

I always thought it was a wonderful idea. Plus, with all the new forum upgrades we've been experiancing lately, might be something that could be incoded into our profiles. (Admins willing, of course.)

Regardless, I would still like to see a link to it.
:D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Baphnedia

Re: Werewolf Code?

Post by Baphnedia »

I remember it - likewise there are therian-codes of about every type (dragon code, wolf code, etc etc et al). Hadn't given it thought in years.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

What r u guys talking about? :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

For instance (for me):
DC2.Dw Gm L W T72.76t Pfltw Skh Cgy+,bpu+ Bfl Arv++ Nw M--- Orv H+ $+ Fo+ R++ Ac++ Jr+Jv++ S U* I-- V Q+++ TC++ E++

It tells a LOT about me in a very condensed space. More than 28 questions are answered by this version of the code. It applies to non-dragons as well...
http://www.wyrm.org.uk/dc/
White-Paw
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: there is no real me only an entity something of an mystery
Mood: Ruthless

Post by White-Paw »

same as an fursona code :D
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

From how I understand how it all works, it wouldn't be all that difficult at all. Also, we'd have a simple little Javascript or PHP page that could create the code (by answering a little questionare), and another that would decrypt the code into page that would explain everything regarding that code. Just simply create a list of questions along with answers and something like that could very easily be made. Also, it actually wouldn't be all that hard at all to cram like.. 40 questions (where there's like 8 answers each) into a 40-letter code or even smaller yet.

I guess it could be like everyone's own view on "what would a werewolf be like?" The more interesting thing out of that is that I could make something to read all the codes that everyone has set, and have it graph out the data for each detail to see which answers were chosen the most and see statistically of what the most favorable type of werewolf would be amongst the views of all our members.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

As for the use of the code here - that's downright brilliant.

You're hired.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Sounds an interesting idea... anyone got a link?
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

It does sound promising.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

What Takyoji said.

Whatever he said. It sounds good.

:D
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Midnight wrote:Sounds an interesting idea... anyone got a link?
Apparently it's not really known or public anymore or something. Because ironically, when you search for the exact phrase of "werewolf code", this thread is #2 in search ranking (which I'm honestly quite proud of, considering that was quite effortless to do so. xP): http://www.google.com/search?q=%22werew ... =firefox-a
outwarddoodles wrote:Whatever he said. It sounds good.
So I'm speaking Greek to everyone now? xP
Otherwise, SOMEBODY needs to throw together a list of questions (or it could be a group-effort). Perhaps it could be debated upon over the IRC? http://kiri.nonexiste.net:2001/ Come on, you know you all want to! :P
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Tak: I was joking. You were just going on about Javascript and what not. To me, it all basically translated to: "Yup, it's posible, and we can do other really cool stuff too."

I was reminded about the Werewolf Code when I saw this user's signature.

His werewolf code looks like this:
WWCO.1 SShb LNAr SPRbchm SILd WIRn GNDs UNQd EAThda SGNcbes SPKb STCd WLL++ HRT+ DLY++ STY+++++ INt+++ RGN+++ JMP+++ STR++ BIG++ CLR+ AGE++ CMN- DEX++ IRT+ EYE++ FUR+
Some of these things are easy to decode, other's aren't. Obviously, we can easily list the parts of the werewolf code members feel should be placed in it -- then work from there.

The aspects I can remember are: Will/Control, Stanima, amount of fur, Intelligence/instincts, Strength, Height/Weight/Size, Jumping ability, Age/Health, Commonality, Dexterity, Eyes, Fur, Percentage of Wolfiness, Evil/Good, Rage/Berserker, Effect from Moon/other triggers, shifts, Desire to Kill, Number of Forms, effects on human appearance, etc etc
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

takyoji wrote:Because ironically, when you search for the exact phrase of "werewolf code", this thread is #2 in search ranking (which I'm honestly quite proud of, considering that was quite effortless to do so. xP): http://www.google.com/search?q=%22werew ... =firefox-a
It gets better. We're now number one:

And I'd like to discuss it in chat but there's only ever the nocturnals there when I visit. Notes that none of the sleepers have typed anything in the best part of half an hour. F'n time zones.
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Although many characteristics can be expressed through simple numerical values, I believe the code should allow users to express their creativity as well. Many concepts can be so unexpected, that they can't be applied to such a simple code. In my mind, it should combine both code and a summary. For example:

Control: -Number-
Intelligence: -Number-
Commonality: -Number-
Source: Alien/Magic/Science/Nature
Triggers: Moon (Crescent)
Weaknesses: Mistletoe, Iron

Understandably, such a summary might take excessive place on the screen. In that case, instead of everything being written in the signature, at least some of it could be listed on a separate page and linked from each of the user's posts, the way "Profile" and "PM" are.

For statistics' sake, the questionnaire might demand more general answers as well, and those would only be included in the graph. For example the graph would analyse if the weakness to silver applies (No) and if others do (Yes), and the detailed page would list all the alternative weaknesses.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I prefer that the code be simplified, answered with a questionaire, and with the choice of being displayed in our profiles.

An "addtional notes" section could be added for the profile version. Otherwise, most of us express our unique werewolf opinions on these boards. The code is just an 'extra' fun thing.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

It could be an interesting adjunct to our signature. Takyoji doesn't have anything to do, so let's have him set it up...

(yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Somebody out there, do it, then send it to the Taky one. That way he won't get overworked. (srsly)
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Done a bit of hunting around because the idea intrigued me... and look what I found.

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... f=27&t=709

Looks like the idea was Vilkacis' baby. (Anyone here still in touch with Vilkacis?)

The first version of the code is still up on the Pack topic page but all the links on the page seem to be dead... I'll try building one up using the first version... here goes nothing...

WWC0.1 SSHb LNAr SPRbsh SILt WTRn GNDs UNQs EATdafvy SGN SPKbh STCd WLL++ HRT+ DLY+ STY+ INT+ RGN++ JMP++ STR++ BIG CLR+ AGE+ CMN-- DEX+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+

This is of course all subject to change should anyone unearth a later version of the code. (I've already had a quick try of the wayback machine... no luck so far).

Suggestions I'd make for improvement (based only on v.1 and things I'd go for that it doesn't cover):
SGN: !SGN = no differences detectable to the unaided eye.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Red-Eye: Tak doesn't *have* to do anything (but knowing his ever so eager nature, he probably feels as though he does.). I am willing to chat with anyone or argue out in this thread what elements should go into the code. We can make a thread specifically for the finished code (instead of having to find someplace to host it), and any Admin should be capable of making a profile box labeled "werewolf code."

To Midnight: That's awesome! Thanks! And I like your suggestions a lot. We are, after all, in power to tweak a little things here and there.

My suggestions:
- Change "Shifting to the Moon" to a general "Shifting Triggers." These triggers can include moon, anger, general need to shift, will, whatever.
- Add "quadropedal" to stance.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I run into Vilk every now and then (online)... I'll send him a note.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

So if I look up "Werewolf Code" on Google, I find myself looking up "werewolf code"? I had better not Google "Google," or the Internet might curve in on itself and collapse into a singularity.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

We/I should go further with execution of the task, although some things still have to be thought over yet:
  • Should it be only a code and require people to use an encoder/decoder? Or should it be a list of the attributes and the selected values in readable form?
  • If it's shown as a list, should it be opened in a new window?
Additionally, are there any attributes that should be added, removed, or generalized? (Source)
  • Degree of Shapeshifting
  • Shifting Triggers
  • How Lycanthropy is Spread
  • Silver
  • Water
  • Diet
  • Telltale Human Signs
  • Speech
  • Stance
  • Shapeshifting at Will
  • Degree of Pain while Shifting
  • How Long Shifting Can be Delayed
  • How Long One Can Stay Shifted
  • Intelligence
  • Regenerative Abilities
  • Jumping Ability
  • Strength
  • Size
  • Colorization
  • Longevity
  • Rarity / Commonality
  • Speed and Agility
  • Irritability
  • Vision
  • Quantity of Fur
Additionally I had a few other ideas that could put the werewolf code feature to use such as:
  • Users being able to find other members on the forum with similar interests (via some search comparison-based feature)
  • Finding the community overall perspective
  • Finding movies, stories, and art with werewolves similar to your views (might be a little ineffective though, considering some movies for example may not go over some of the above attributes)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Don't forget "Length of shifting". I don't want those 10 minute TF now. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I still think that adding a simple Profile box where members could copy and paste their own werewolf codes would be an easy and effective first step.

We could also begin by either Sticky-ing Vilk's post, or creating a new one with a revised edition and an explanation with how we intend to further implement the code into the forums. Once again, letting our Pack mates know what it is and generating interest.

So, Profile box and Sticky. Easy?

I'm still absolutely in love with this idea. And I still really, really want to see it executed/in use by any means.

The list Takky provided with werewolf characteristics is absolutely perfect. And, as a code, length doesn't seem to be an issue: so we can add Shadow Wulf's or anyone else's ideas very easily. To me, the set up of the code doesn't seem to be an issue at all -- I just want to see it get used!

Other ideas I have/like:

Would there be a possibility of allowing some sort of widget of sort that could allow, say, when a user is browsing the forum and reader posts, they could move their cursor over a button on another user's post that would then create a small window displaying the code? Too complicated?

Otherwise, an encoder/decoder would be a priority too, in my opinion.
Finding the community overall perspective
You mean like GRAPHS and STATISTICS?! THAT would be incredible. <3 <3
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Now that we finally are migrated to server that we once again have control over, and since I'm done with high school and all. It's finally time to actually implement this. All I need is for the details of it to be finalized (such as the prompts and potential answers) and any other ideas people happen to have.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Everything's looking good so far; I don't have any suggestions to make at this point. To answer the other question, I think an encoder/decoder would be very nice (as long as there are plentiful links to where it can be found, such as a bit.ly address automatically generated a line below each person's code).
You mean like GRAPHS and STATISTICS?! THAT would be incredible. <3 <3
I heartily agree here; that would be extremely useful!
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet