Work in progress

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Work in progress

Post by takyoji »

I guess I might as well write out what's on my task list and how complete everything is so far. If anything seems to be missing or over/under prioritized, feel free to point it out. It's chronologically from most recent to oldest.

The Packs Den Forum
  • NOT STARTED - OpenID support
  • NOT STARTED - Create an alternate CSS file for using a lighter layout with mobile devices (i.e. an iPhone)
  • PRE-PRODUCTION (PLANNING) - Werewolf Code feature
  • COMPLETE - Moderation queue (whereas new posters' messages are checked before publicly visible to prevent spam).
  • NOT STARTED - Transfer the older layout (bsrf).
  • COMPLETE - Upgrade to phpBB3.
    • Recode the current layout to work in phpBB3
    • Backup posts, users, topics, private messages from the database.
    • Backup the filesystem
    • Run the conversion offline
    • Upload the converted database and files
    • Fix an avatar issue and go live
  • COMPLETE - Create and post forum regulations.
  • COMPLETE - Get rid of admin activation for new accounts and provide a better solution
User Entertainment/Networking
  • NOT STARTED - Write an IRC client that supports the wolf emoticons, sound notifications, and other IRC-based functionality.
    • Server daemon (what the client connects to).
    • Authentication integration.
    • Sound notifications.
    • Wolf emoticons.
    • Direct messaging.
    • File transfers (negligible).
    • Forum profiles accessible from the client (negligible).
  • ~35% COMPLETE - Write an IRC bot for authentication (using the forum's user database) and for entertainment purposes.
Other
  • NOT STARTED - Code the frontend and backend of the new website layout for The Packs Den.
    • News section
    • Movie/book reviews
    • Gallery
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Re: Work in progress

Post by Silverclaw »

Sounds good! 8) Thanks for doing all this! :D
:howl:  :oo
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Actually, one thing you may not even realise you've fixed is one of those little annoying things that I never bothered grouching about but really appreciate being able to fix: the date and time system. Giving us the chance to make custom settings means I have finally been able to change the date from MM DD YY (which appears to be normal in America) to DD MM YY (which is normal over here). Much appreciated.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Midnight wrote:Actually, one thing you may not even realise you've fixed is one of those little annoying things that I never bothered grouching about but really appreciate being able to fix: the date and time system. Giving us the chance to make custom settings means I have finally been able to change the date from MM DD YY (which appears to be normal in America) to DD MM YY (which is normal over here). Much appreciated.
Also, the local timezone the software was set to versus the timezone of the actual server was different, thus it was off by like 6 hours. But we've easily fixed that as well about a week ago. Spongypants23 pointed it out to me.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Don't overwork yourself Tak, remember, school has to come first.. Whenever that starts.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

spongypants23 wrote:Don't overwork yourself Tak, remember, school has to come first.. Whenever that starts.
Prison starts on September 2nd. But hey, at least I get to tutor a web design class and do an individual study (or something) this year since they don't have anything else for me. xP
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Just as a minor notice, "OpenID" support was added to the list. This will help ensure that your login information will be secure and also that you won't even need to use a username or password to login. This will be available as an ADDITIONAL feature, as it will not be mandatory. Note: OpenID requires an OpenID account from a provider (for example, Verisign, Yahoo, AOL, LiveJournal, and others).

A breif summary of how OpenID works:
  • You go to The Packs Den and put in your OpenID URL (if you have the PIP extension for Firefox, it will do this for you. I also think it's going to be implemented into Firefox directly soon) and hit submit.
  • You're brought to your OpenID provider's website, more specifically, the login page for your OpenID account (this page is secured with TLS encryption (aka HTTPS), whereas if you logged into The Packs Den directly, you wouldn't be operating through an encrypted connection). You insert your login information and hit submit.
  • If you login correctly, your OpenID provider's server tells the server for The Packs Den that you logged in successfully. Our server checks to see if it's the exact OpenID provider you stated in your account. If it is, then you're allowed access, if not (as in, if it was an imposter), it's ignored.
  • You're then brought back to The Packs Den logged in.
It all sounds complicating, but all this works transparently to you. All you do is attach an OpenID URL to your account, and just use your OpenID provider to login. The process is even simpler when you have an extension in your browser to do the work for you (you won't even have to know your OpenID URL since it'll add it for you).

The advantages to this are:
  • You log in on an encrypted page (pretty much the same amount of encryption as your banking website has; however, that depends on the OpenID provider you use). Nobody can really get your login information by simply being on your network or by being your neighbor (cable internet) which however is possible when you aren't using an encrypted login page.
  • Your password isn't even seen by our server when you login (this is why OpenID is a good way to prevent your password from being stolen)
  • It should barely take much time to implement
  • It's really not that hard to use
demonwithin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Nightshade
Additional Details: Call me Nightshade :3
Mood: Ruthless

Post by demonwithin »

I like! :D
They say that I can't last a day in the real world.... I say you wouldn't survive one night in mine...