Topic Drift

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Topic Drift

Post by Vilkacis »

Okay, topic drift has been unusually bad and unusually common as of late, and I've noticed that it has started to irritate a number of people. While a small amount of off-topic discussion is to be expected, I think we've probably gone over the line lately. I have, I'm sorry to say, even contributed to this myself. I don't want to just start throwing new rules at the lot of you, so I'm going to ask:

Do you want us to start clamping down on topic drift?

If so, how much is too much? Where is the line drawn?

And, in which sections of the forum should this be applied?

Please explain your reasoning,

Thank you,

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Topic Drift

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
And, in which sections of the forum should this be applied?

-- Vilkacis

Topic drift should not happen in the "what should a werewolf be" thread.

All the others shouldn't matter.

But if one does goes off-topic in the "what should a werewolf be" thread, what should be done? Delete it?
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:But if one does goes off-topic in the "what should a werewolf be" thread, what should be done? Delete it?
I should imagine a warning at first, then deletion only if it continues. That seems like an appropriate response.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:But if one does goes off-topic in the "what should a werewolf be" thread, what should be done? Delete it?
I should imagine a warning at first, then deletion only if it continues. That seems like an appropriate response.

-- Vilkacis
ok, done. warning.

No going off topic in the "what should a werewolf be" thread from now on.

Thats where all the important stuff is at.

If there is a need to go off topic, split it and move it to another section.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

enouf that it dosen't consume the whole thread like it did with my "werewolf perks" post
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

wolf marine wrote:enouf that it dosen't consume the whole thread like it did with my "werewolf perks" post
Thats in the general section. We want the "what should a werewolf be" thread to be kept clean.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:ok, done. warning.

If you say so, but that undermines the entire reasoning behind this post...

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Figarou wrote:
wolf marine wrote:enouf that it dosen't consume the whole thread like it did with my "werewolf perks" post
Thats in the general section. We want the "what should a werewolf be" thread to be kept clean.
that oh yeah i ment to put it in general stuff but i wasn't paying attention what i was doing, sorry! :oops:
Last edited by Anubis on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I think it's a problem in the General Stuff section, too. I want to hear what the Pack has to say about this.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:ok, done. warning.

If you say so, but that undermines the entire reasoning behind this post...

-- Vilkacis
You and Terastas is a moderator in that section. Just keep an eye open for off-topic post. I will do the same. :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:I think it's a problem in the General Stuff section, too. I want to hear what the Pack has to say about this.

-- Vilkacis
If you look at the index...The General stuff section is "The place for anything at all..." Thats means going off-topic is ok there.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:
Vilkacis wrote:If you say so, but that undermines the entire reasoning behind this post...

-- Vilkacis
You and Terastas is a moderator in that section. Just keep an eye open for off-topic post. I will do the same. :wink:
I think you're missing the point. If I wanted to just start applying new rules, I would have just posted a notice about it and started enforcing it (after I discussed it with you first, of course). The entire point behind this post was to ask the Pack if they thought it was a problem, how much is acceptable, and where it should be applied.

It's your perogative if you want to override all that and start enforcing new rules, but it undermines the authority you've given me and reduces our options to what you want.

Wolf marine came up and stated that he thought this should be applied in the General Stuff section, and you completely invalidated him. That was exactly the kind of thing I had asked for, however.
Figarou wrote:If you look at the index...The General stuff section is "The place for anything at all..." Thats means going off-topic is ok there.
I disagree. You can post whatever topics you want there (anything at all), but discussion inside those topics should remain on-topic as defined by the thread. Otherwise, what's the point? If you want to take the discussion elsewhere, there's absolutely no reason not to make a new thread.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ooookayyyy

Lets see what the Pack wants.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
I think you're missing the point. If I wanted to just start applying new rules, I would have just posted a notice about it and started enforcing it (after I discussed it with you first, of course).

Just so you know, I don't make the rules here. I'm not in command. I only have the administrator postion so I can make changes to this forum if needed. I'm just a representative for the Pack. Not a leader.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Just so you know, I don't make the rules here. I'm not in command. I only have the administrator postion so I can make changes to this forum if needed. I'm just a representative for the Pack. Not a leader.
Even so, we have the ability to make rules, since we can enforce them. However, if abused, none of us will have that power for long.

That's why I made this thread. The authority to make these changes comes from the good will of the Pack. If they think it's a problem, then we can fix it. If they don't think it's a problem, we should not butt in -- that would only cause problems.

I want a good idea of how much I'm expected to interfere. I'd rather not step on toes here.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Even so, we have the ability to make rules, since we can enforce them. However, if abused, none of us will have that power for long.

New rule!! I'm the only person allowed to toss duckies here!!!

Just Kidding!!! :jester2:

Vilkacis wrote:That's why I made this thread. The authority to make these changes comes from the good will of the Pack. If they think it's a problem, then we can fix it. If they don't think it's a problem, we should not butt in -- that would only cause problems.
Sure, The Pack is what keep this forum going. If a problem needs to be addressed, we should discuss ways of solving it before applying a new rule.
Vilkacis wrote:I want a good idea of how much I'm expected to interfere. I'd rather not step on toes here.

-- Vilkacis
Or pound on someones head for no reason.

:punishment:
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

You could probaly tell I am one of the people who really dislike topic drift. Now theres always going to be a drifting topic abound, but what I dislike is when that little thing takes over the whole topic and derails it.

I think the little random comments junk really gets at me. Not to point a hoof at anyone but I really didn't appreciate something like the '.....I have a belly button' thing. Often times unnecessary actions or when it just gets obnoxiuos (sp?), which turns too asinine. That would need to be clamped down on. Random comments shouldn't be there.

And ofcource theres the 'unwritten rule' to go by. Say its a small topic easilly answered or sometimes a repeat topic. If its nothing that seems of too much important sometimes I guess it doesn't matter if it floats around a bit. While a serious topic asking for more brain squeezing and debating should not have to be derails completely.

People love to explain their day often times, I went to Coney Island today and I think at Monday I'm going to Kings Island. I had fun, I'd love to tell you all how'd that went. Or sometimes someone comes up with something really sly, and just NEED to tell it! Thats why if posible we should get a shout box at the bottom of the forum in order for those little randome comments we all so love to tell.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Vilkacis wrote:Do you want us to start clamping down on topic drift?
I don't mind either way, though I suppose it would be for the better
Vilkacis wrote:If so, how much is too much? Where is the line drawn?
Too much is when the topic drifts off so much that it has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic. I think I'm one of those people responsible... I apologize...I think it would be good to stop it after half a page... give or take a couple of comments.
Vilkacis wrote:And, in which sections of the forum should this be applied?

In the "What Should a Werewolf Be" thread certiantly. Maybe in the threads that concern the film of "Freeborn" as well or the "Werewolf Films" and the "General Film" threads?
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, give a warning out first. Then if it still goes on, a angry warning! :evil: :P 8)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The person who starts a topic doesn't neccessarily own the topic outright, but should have first say on whether topic drift is or isn't allowed. Some topics are by design silly and invite drift--such as the one entitled "duckie madness (whipped cream attached)." Others are meant to be taken seriously. Still others, while intended in humor, are about specific humorous things--like the much heated Marine Wolf's "Perks" thread.

90-95% of the time it's hardly an issue, but as of late it's come up fairly frequently.

I agree outright with Figarou's proposal and declarations on the What a Werewolf Should Be. Over here, I'm inclined to agree, but with the above comments.

Here's a proposed ettiquette. If you've got a great joke, add it to the end of a post as an addendum, but make sure you're also contributing to the topic itself.

Another proposed ettiquette suggestion: if you have a great joke or comment that is off-topic, start a new topic in the relevant forum, and post a link to it in the original thread. A one-liner linking to another topic is less disruptive than a page and a half of discussion in 20 languages, followed by a string of arguments, followed by the original topic resuming.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Scott Gardener wrote: A one-liner linking to another topic is less disruptive than a page and a half of discussion in 20 languages, followed by a string of arguments, followed by the original topic resuming.
uuuh haha, yeah sorry about that. :oops: figarou and velkacis say sorry aswell!! :punishment:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I dislike topic drift. I think that in certain sections, like "what should a werewolf be" it should be treated harshly (i.e. a warning followed by deletions, BUT NOT of the whole topic, unless the starting post was frivolous to begin with). In sections such as "General" I think it should only be treated harshly when it is in blatant disregard, because that is a form of spamming.
I do not think that topic drift problems within a post should cause the topic post to get moved to another section, unless the whole post was off-topic right from the beginning. I also think that mindless babble should be considered topic drift (i.e. those posts with 3 to 7 words, all are misspelled, and the sentence makes no sense; a little bit of ducky play is NOT mindless babble unless it completely takes over an entire post).
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I posted this in another thread, but I should post it here too:

I've never worried much about topic dirft. There's a natural cycle about those things anyway. It's just how human conversation works. If the thread's gone off topic, and you want it back on topic, post about something that's on topic.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, topic drift is essentially the natural order of the forum; we either answer the question or critique the ideas of other forum posters that attempted to answer before us. If someone's additional comments make more sense or strike more nerves than the original question posed, it's natural that it will likewise attract more responses. The topic doesn't necessarily drift -- it just becomes more focused in it's direction, which, to people eager to expound on different elements, may seem like a complete topic drift.

It's also natural for posters to joke about previous suggestions, which is a lot nicer than saying "bullcrap." As long as it somehow correlates with a previous post, it should be tolerated except in excessive ammounts (in which case it stops becomming comments and starts becomming spam).

That's the only time I would really crack down on topic drift: when a post seems to relate in no way shape or form to any prior post within the thread.