Is werewolves and horror unescapable?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How much horror would you like to see?

None. Its been done to death anyways.
14%
Some. Every werewolf film needs some horror in it.
48%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
22%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
8%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
8%

Total votes: 63

Fastenjaw
Pack Member
Pack Member

Is werewolves and horror unescapable?

Post by Fastenjaw »

Can werewolf films ever really be mainstream without having horror in it? And how much horror is acceptable to you? I Would like to see less horror in werewolf films but I don't know how mainstream feels about it. Well werewolves are what we make of it. So I guess it would matter on what they looked like and the story behind it. Supposedly non horrors are rare but they have been done. I know there is other talk about horror elements but I dont know what everyone feels about how much horror should a wolf film have (if any). I didn't see a poll so I will start one here. Lock this thread if there was an older one I missed in my search.
Killa Tofu!
MuDD
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by MuDD »

I Voted for some horror, because in my mind there would have to be some of the whole "scary" aspect, it's part of why I like watching werewolf movies.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I love horror movies with werewolves, but I also like non horror movies with werewolves. I don't really mind I guess. I haven't voted because I like both types of movies really, or any kind, any genre can have good AND disappointing wolves in it.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Little bit of horror. When something that big and that dangerous gets mad it can get pretty horrifying. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Fiery Foxish TFmage Extraordinaire
Location: Finland. Most probably lurking behing that rock. *points*

Post by FoxOfWar »

Some of it, I'd say. Eh, practically what MoonKit just said above me. :D
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I don't mind blood. But you do have to realize just because a movie has a fight scene in it doesn't make it horror. Killing things alone doesn't qualify for horror.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yeah just look at arnold schwarzenager, he kills more people in hes movies than any horror movie. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Switch?

Post by RedEye »

Well, if horror is needed why not from the Werewolf's perspective? The horror of living in a society that is more dangerous than the Third Reich,
if a loved one goes missing, you dare not contact the police; you can save a life and get shot dead because of how you look.
But then, I think that's what the Motion Picture is going to be about...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

"All of The Above"

I don't think all werewolf films, stories and art should be the same.

I want to see every kind of werewolf, from the super-cute "Doodles" werewolf, to Ultraviolent Demon Werewolves, and anything/everything in-between.

I am not a Fan of Horror films at all, and am disgusted and thoroughly NOT entertained by "Blood and Guts"...but I recognise the Werewolves continued potential in that genre, and therefore support it anyway...just so long as all other interpretations get thier fair representation as well.

Ultimately though, I feel that there should allways be something inherantly SCARY about werewolves, even when they are niether evil nor ugly. ...Like...even if you know the person/werewolf very well, trust them and know they would never hurt you...being alone with one would allways make you feel nervous and uneasy.

A werewolf can be presented as "SCARY" without the film being of the 'Horror' genre.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Well said Vuldari. 8)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Ack! Vuldari beat me to it, and said it better. Werewolves are scary, but they don't have to be horrible.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

I'm tired that old werewolf horror crap :P
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

lots and lots and lots..................horror is a staple in a growing boys diet :D :lol:
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Some like Dog soldiers are actually really good, but ya I have to say it's getting really old.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

gladius wrote:lots and lots and lots..................horror is a staple in a growing boys diet :D :lol:

Yeah, I like horror movies but this werewolf horror is getting old. Good werewolf horror isn't unpossible though, its just rare. Still I'm expecting to see something else than horror in a freeborn :)

I've seen the Dog soldiers though, it was good but not excellent. Waiting a second part :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

Through history and legend Werewolves have been linked with evil. Personally, if I am watching a Werewolf flick, I'm watching it because I want be entertained. That means a good plot, believable characters, quality special effects, a well designed and hopefully scarey as hell Werewolf and some genuinely trouser fouling moments. :evillaugh:

It doesn't have to be about gore, although its gotta be said that if a Werewolf is going about its normal business, there's gotta be some. You can see a man get shredded and it will disturb but think of the tube scene in American Werewolf in London. You don't have to be grossed out to be scared.

Like I say. This is my own personal opinion. I have grown up loving Werewolf films, and being truly excited at the prospect of any new film releases. But the fact that I got hooked aged about 5, means that all my experiences with the genre were scarey. To me Werewolves will and always should have that element of horror to them. :wolfsheepclothing:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I decided to think of this as a genre question rather than as a "can werewolves only be bad guys" question.
Werewolf movies in the fairy tale genre (The 10th Kingdom, Ladyhawke, Brothers Grimm, Harry Potter, Big Fish) can certainly work, even though we've seen few successes so far, but I know there are great werewolf fantasy novels out there, and the fantasy movie genre has only started to come into its own in recent years, so, yes, I believe there's plenty of room for non-horror werewolves there. Of course, they could still be bad guys without the movie itself being horror and without pleasing fans who only want to see horror.
Also, the werewolf comedy genre has a lot of possibilities that have been barely explored. It even has one success story: Teen Wolf. Yeah, I know that movie sucks by today's standards, but a lot of people forget that it was a box office smash in it's time. Partly, I think they forget this because Teen Wolf can't escape the shadow of its box office bomb sequel, Teen Wolf Too. An then there's also An American Werewolf in London which is one of those rare movies that is a comedy without losing any of its horror characteristics. It doesn't count as a straight comedy, but it points in directions that a true werewolf comedy movie could go.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Night Rain
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Night Rain »

Nothing but horror. I want to see something that will keep me awake for a week.
That would have to be a damn good movie.
"Don't mind the blood here; welcome to the slaughterhouse!"
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

Just had a thought......What if...

heheheh

Right. Look back through the history of werewolf stories and legend.

Most cases down the centuries have been put down to Lycanthropy.
Not PHYSICALLY changing into wolf form, but MENTALLY.

Now, I am sure that if you examined these cases of lycanthropy, through history, you would find that pretty much all the sufferers exhibited signs of agression or for want of a better expression...BEASTLINESS( :lol:sorry).
Seriously though, theseLycanthropes were feared for the way that they acted, working to a lunar cycle, attacking people indiscriminately and being generally vicious.
This is I feel why the werewolf is inextricably linked to horror.
Yes, the werewolf is fictional, but its roots lie in FACT.

The werewolf can be whatever YOU want it to be, It can look however You want it to look. We've all got different ideas on how a werewolf should be..

isn't it fun discussing it !?
:howl:  :oo

hwlwnk :howl:  :oo

:wolfsheepclothing:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

The werewolf doesn't need to be entirely chained to the horror genre (although much of the general audience will always see a werewolf in the title or reviews and automatically expect a certain kind of flick -- and possibly be disappointed if they don't get it. If you went to a movie expecting to see a slasher movie, and got a tragic romance instead, how would you feel?) but there are obvious possibilities that should not be ignored. Keep in mind that most horror films out there have nothing to do with werewolves. Most (or at least a huge number) are about entirely ordinary human beings. Alfred hitchcock or M. Night Shamalayan (sp?) are excellent examples of this. In short, what I'm saying is that humans are scary enough without any supernatural stuff being involved. This, by the way, goes for real life. Zodiac, Ted Bundy, BTK, Chuck Manson... all of this stuff really happened and it sounds like some B-movie script (especially Zodiac - that dude was a serious whack-job).
So, okay. You have a human stalker or serial killer. Simple mental dysfunction or an evil personality make this person sufficiently scary that you already have the makings for a good horror flick. Now imagine the stalker/killer has the hunting instincts of a bona-fide predator, the ability to track you by your scent from miles away, claws, fangs, and the ability to see in the dark. Maybe I'm just weird, but that strikes me as even scarier and lends itself to better plots. Now add in the possibility that it can shrug off bullets (unless they're made of silver). Now you have no real hope of defending yourself from this stalker/killer and added into the mix, if you were to call someone for help they won't believe you, hang up on you and it's right then that you feel the warm moist breath on the back of your neck.

Yeah, the werewolf/horror thing has been done alot, but you have to admit that the werewolf as an icon works really well in that role. That said, I'm glad that Freeborn looks like it will break out of this mold and show us the werewolf's softer side, and give us a real plot and story as opposed to a slash/blood/gore/screamfest. Still, I like, and would like to continue to see, werewolf horror movies as well. They're fun.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

hwlwnk YAY!!

Well said. I agree completely. I have nothing against what Mr Brownrigg is trying to achieve. I can only tip my hat and give him all the respect he deserves. He is breaking the mould. I am truly excited at the prospect of FREEBORN. I cannot wait to see how the whole thing pans out. But I do hope for a few scares along the way. :howl:  :oo

:wolfsheepclothing:

forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

Don't we all wait for a few scares hehehe
"lolis"
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Well Vampires have appeared in romantic and action type scenarios so why not let the werewolf follow suit?

Just make them less ugly and it shouldn't be so much of a problem.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

less ugly......a poorly done up werewolf still looks better than any vampire out there paws down...... :P
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

White Paw wrote:less ugly......a poorly done up werewolf still looks better than any vampire out there paws down...... :P
then you havn't seen some that I have seen. think Bicycle helmet with fur glued on it or Gorilla costume with a dog mask.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.