Does this make anyone else nervous?

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote: GASP!!! Thats a lot of pictures!! I can do it, but it'll take time. Lots of time.

Err....ummmmm....to much time.

Naaa...I have another project I need to finish 1st.
Yeah, that's really the task of automated software.
It would make a kickass movie though.
I happen to have a software that can make the animated gif. (Animation Shop 3) The downloading of all those pics into a folder will take a lot of time.

If I had FTP access, I can download it faster compared to one at a time.
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:I happen to have a software that can make the animated gif. (Animation Shop 3) The downloading of all those pics into a folder will take a lot of time.

If I had FTP access, I can download it faster compared to one at a time.
That's what wget is for "wget -r site" recursively downloads stuff from site.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Stop worrying about the bloody black hole already and look both ways before you cross the street!

[/Capricorn]
ImageImageImageImage
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Am I worried? ...no.

It will be facinating to see what happens when they turn this thing on, but it's not going to be the end of the world.

Worst case scenario, they will have invented a curious and possilby dramatic new way to make a machine self-destruct, and waste a whole lot of money (and possibly lives).

I actually find it quite likely that very little of note will happen at all, and the Mini-Black holes simply won't appear.

Best Case Scenario, Some facinating stuff will happen in there which will open our eyes to secrets of matter and energy that can be used for the benefiet of mankind.

I'd rate the chances of them prooving the existance of dimensions beyond the 3 we know as 0% though. Applying "Time" as a fouth dimension in mathmatical equations may be effective, but no amount of math is going to convince me that such a thing as 5th+ dimensions could exist.

I'm hoping this project will disproove such silly ideas once and for all, so our most brilliant scientists can get back to studying REAL science again, instead of this sci-fi nonsense about time-travel and 5th dimensions, etc.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Well...once all electronics stops working....we know that thing is turned on.

:D
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I've heard about this.

I can't say I'm not interested or excited...for we all love this sort of stuff :P

But I hope they are careful. And a lot of this money could go towards poverty.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

i thought this over the night and i agree with the expirment
for the people who assume it will blow up the world, why are you assuming the worse? if those chances they presented arnt good anoth for you then what is? science is about taking risk, if we dont take risk and asume the worst like some of you, we would still be living like coloinals.
sure it could "cause alot of damage and possible do this blablabla" but the same thing was said about the atomic bomb, many scientist thought when teh atom bomb exploded it would set the atmosphere on fire and kill us all, but as you see that didnt happen. Finally, for those who think the scientist are playing god, there not playing god, there just trying to learn more about are universe and there is nothing wrong with that.
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Lukas wrote:i thought this over the night and i agree with the expirment
for the people who assume it will blow up the world, why are you assuming the worse? if those chances they presented arnt good anoth for you then what is? science is about taking risk, if we dont take risk and asume the worst like some of you, we would still be living like coloinals.
sure it could "cause alot of damage and possible do this blablabla" but the same thing was said about the atomic bomb, many scientist thought when teh atom bomb exploded it would set the atmosphere on fire and kill us all, but as you see that didnt happen. Finally, for those who think the scientist are playing god, there not playing god, there just trying to learn more about are universe and there is nothing wrong with that.
Im not exactly sure the atom bomb was a great example. That thing did plenty of damage.

And I dont think theres anything wrong with studying ones surroundings, but I think when you're trying to delay death, create living robots and make whole universes, you are going to far. This world is not your friggen toy to futz around with! Other things live here too. And every single human is not suposed to live to 99. Its not natural. I hate when people think they can control everything. That human attitude that they're better then everything else in the world pisses me off. Cant humans live in peace with nature and just enjoy it for what it is?
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

MoonKit wrote:
Im not exactly sure the atom bomb was a great example. That thing did plenty of damage.

And I dont think theres anything wrong with studying ones surroundings, but I think when you're trying to delay death, create living robots and make whole universes, you are going to far. This world is not your friggen toy to futz around with! Other things live here too. And every single human is not suposed to live to 99. Its not natural. I hate when people think they can control everything. That human attitude that they're better then everything else in the world pisses me off. Cant humans live in peace with nature and just enjoy it for what it is?
Saddly no.
Human's believe that everything can be owned. I'm sure someone already tried to sell the moon.
But anyway, Humans and Nature. It's instinct to rule. Just becuase humans can create and think the most amazing and complex things, doesn't make them the best. I often think the mot simplest things are amazing.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

MoonKit wrote:And I dont think theres anything wrong with studying ones surroundings, but I think when you're trying to delay death, create living robots and make whole universes, you are going to far. This world is not your friggen toy to futz around with! Other things live here too. And every single human is not suposed to live to 99. Its not natural.
Excuse me? I intend to live to be at least 120 years old...thank you very much. I see no reason why anyone should be in any hurry to DIE.
MoonKit wrote: I hate when people think they can control everything. That human attitude that they're better then everything else in the world pisses me off. Cant humans live in peace with nature and just enjoy it for what it is?
Now THAT I can agree with. We are not the owners of everything we touch and see. This planet belongs to the animals and plants and bugs as much as it is ours to enjoy...no more no less.

However, I believe science can be used to allow us to live the way we would like to live, while leaving a smaller impact on the world around us.

Imagine if we could power the entire country with a handfull of super advanced generators, each the size of an average gas station? We could dismantle all the wasteful, polluting powerplants in the world! How wonderful would THAT be?

What if someone actually invented Anti-Gravity technology? All vehicles could effortlessly float above the ground, and the need to pave the earth with concrete would be no more.

This kind of science is not inherantly bad...it just depends on how it is applied.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

MoonKit wrote:Im not exactly sure the atom bomb was a great example. That thing did plenty of damage.
The damage in the example was the fear that the explosion might initiate a reaction between nitrogen and oxygen, and ignite the atmosphere, killing most of the life on Earth. IIRC, it was baseless.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Fang wrote:Set, I was raised christian, i have since switched, I was using it as an example of how man can destroy everything he holds dear hith one simple decision
I'm not a Christian, I never was, I never will be. The whole tree thing can be seen in more than one way, hence it being a bad example. What about that don't you get?
Fang wrote:as for this experiment, a 10 to the negative 40 chance of earth being destroyed still is not good enough for me, If it's dangerous, don't Fu*k with it!
Theoretically, EVERYTHING is dangerous. You getting out of bed in the morning has a chance to destroy the world. Will you stop waking up simply because of that? No. So how is this any different?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Set wrote:Theoretically, EVERYTHING is dangerous. You getting out of bed in the morning has a chance to destroy the world. Will you stop waking up simply because of that? No. So how is this any different?
Indeed...it's called "The Butterfly Effect". Any action...no matter how seemingly insignificant, could potentially be the first in a chain of events that eventually leads to something really huge.

The original idea is that a Butterfly, flapping it's wings once could casue a hurricane to eventually develop on the other side of the planet, where it would not have had the butterfly remained still.

You can't live life fearing every possible risk. You would have to stop moving and breathing...and existing...to remove all risk of yourself causing anything potentially bad to happen. But then again...maybe technology evolving from this experiment will be the only thing that is able so save the earth from being pulverized by a moon sized comet 234 years from now. In which case, it would be a risk NOT to go ahead with it as well. If you do the math...the chances of a really big rock smashing into earth in the next 100 years is exponentially higher than the chances of this machine making the Earth go *POP*.

The idea that this thing could mean the end of the world is the absurd product of the imaginations of people who have watched too many sci-fi movies. ...it's just not going to happen.

=^.^'= ~
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I have to agree with Lukas. The whole direction of this conversation smacks of the old curmudgeon's chestnut "If Man were meant to fly, God would have given us wings!"

And to be fair, I agree with Moonkit, too. The atom bomb is a bad example. A better example would be the recent dust-up over stem cell research. To avoid a flame war, that's all I'm going to say about that here...read my blog on Myspace if you want to hear more...

Anyway, if these mini-black holes are supposed to collapse virtually as soon as they appear, who's to say they don't naturally occur and we've been literally surrounded by them for the whole existence of life on this planet?

Seeking to understand something doesn't automatically mean one can control it. We understand volcanoes and tornadoes but can't control them.
ImageImageImageImage