How do you like moon-triggered werewolves?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

What's your favorite kind of moon-triggered werewolf?

Transforms once per moon cycle, on the full moon night only.
8%
Transforms three nights in a row, when the moon looks full, always into the same form.
25%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
11%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
3%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
8%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
18%
I hate it so universally that I won't choose any of the options. I'd rather that moons have nothing to do with werewolves.
26%

Total votes: 61

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Mooning Werewolves?

Post by RedEye »

My personal observation is that, yes; the moon does affect Were's. They can see better, for one thing (More Light).
Since I view Werewolves as essentially Mutated Humans, they are human enough to be affected by what they have seen in the Movies...hence, lunar triggered Shifting.
It largely depends on just how much Humanity and how much Wolfishness you ascribe to Werewolves...are they Humans with 'something extra' or are they 'slaves' to the inner Wolf?
I suspect that most Were' newbies would go the Lunar route, until some more experienced Were' asks them "Why don't you shift at other times? You really aren't locked into that Lunar business, you know."
Perhaps there is a Religious reason...Full Wolves 'sing' to the full moon...Perhaps Were's would develope a Religion around the Moon, to fulfill an inner need...
They probably would use reason one, up there...they can see better.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

a thought on the different things and superhero vs curse scenarios.

What happens when these three meet?

someone who has been cursed to be a mindless beast once a month and goes on a rampage,

a shapeshifter type werewolf that controls their own transformation (this type is the born a werewolf and in control)

and a beast-shifter type that is a human with genetic alterations to allow them to transform into a facimily of a werewolf (the superhero version)

Why have just one type of werewolf in the same world? now that is really the most boreing thing in these movies.

Maybe some triggered by the moon, others not. But maybe the moon triggered are the more psychotic and possibly vicious and strong pound per pound. But the Beast-Shifter the more in-control but least monstrous.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I would like to apologise for my rudeness earlier. I was insulting others while expressing my opinion, and that is not cool. My attitude was totally not okay.

I'm sorry.

Looking back, what I said can easily be interpreted as "This way is the BEST way, and all of you are stupid for not realising this"...which is not only unforgivably rude, but just plain Not True.

I seem to have a bit of a two faced personality. One moment I am being all kind and understanding, but suddenly, in a different thread I'm trying to force my perceptions and preferenced down everyones throats, and being a real jerk about it too.

I don't know why I do that. I'll try to controll myself a little better.

------------------------------------------------------------
'...you may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion...'
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Jessie-Simone
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Jessie-Simone »

:wink: Transforms three nights in a row, when the moon looks full, but is more wolfish on the real full moon night, less wolfish the other two. I think that makes scens that they slowly progres over the 2 nights then fully on the 3 night.
Thanks to Sae-Kurosawa
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Fiery Foxish TFmage Extraordinaire
Location: Finland. Most probably lurking behing that rock. *points*

Post by FoxOfWar »

Hmm... lemme see.

If it were what I'd like to be... totally(or at least near) in control, able to shift anytime. (Fox!)

Story wise... I like wilder stuff. Actually, at the beginning, anything but the change controlled by the on "cursed"/"blessed" (depends of the point of view, really). Then maybe later when the character has gone over the crisis and gained some control...

I voted for the 3 days, because that's what I'd use if ever were to write a werewolf story. Where my were's were when I happen to do that werestory then... *smirk*
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
Khuwwa
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Khuwwa »

I picked "every night with varying degrees", as vrikasatma said, becase it is most interesting. But I think it should be more mental, less physical. If you are going to use the whole moon aspect, then transforming for a few days roughly near the full moon sounds best... I really don't understand why in the stories it's always One night only! Or Three Nights the beast shall appear... I always thought of it as a more complex, flexible, biological sort of thing. I would have picked the other option if it did not have to be more than three days, because it could be two, three, four days, varying with the werewolf's mood, how long it's been since the last shift, and any other reasons...
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

I personally prefer for a variety of options to all be true; it differes from werewolf to werewolf. For the character I'm writing about, the Moon makes transformation occur when it is full, but he can still accomplish it other times of the month with effort. He also loses ALL control on the one night of the full moon, but can exert some control during the day before and after, and is practically himself when changing out of phase.

The Full Moon is an iconic feature for the cursed werewolf. It';s often fun to drop it in favor of the surprised minster hunter who THOUGHT his prey would be helpless under a crescent moon, but for Tragic Monster Syndrome, it's hard to beat. :shift:
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

Gee... this sounds as random as...

I am a werewolf and I have four nails, when do I transform? I don't have to! Waflles don't have teeth. :p

Whoever associated transformation with the moon must have been a silly movie producer who wanted to instill supertition into the creature, but hated to do his reasearch. Not all Transformations are associated with the moon.

There are various folklore exploreable through the web that has had stories where transformation occured outside of a lunar cycle.

That is why I chose none of the above :)
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

Maybe someone should claim that the crescent moon is linked to a weredeer transformation? Deer activity, especially during the fall rut season, is widely believed to be linked to the lunar cycle. The "horns" of the crescent are also likened by some to deer antlers.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf

Post by vrikasatma »

Cervids in rut are most active during the full moon, so that might not be a good analogy. However, the crescent moon would be VERY appropriate for a werebull transformation.

I'll check around and see what moon phase (if any) the Running of the Bulls takes place under. Hopefully this won't cause a firestorm, but wouldn't it be wild to go to a bullfight and suddenly the bull rears up and becomes a Minotaur?! :o
ImageImageImageImage
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

So, maybe you could have someone turn into a minotaur when the moon enters Taurus?

:lol:
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf

Post by vrikasatma »

Or the werewolf change when the moon enters Scorpio?

Not many people know that Scorpio is ruled by a series of constellations; Scorpio first, then Lupus, and finally Aquila.
ImageImageImageImage
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Something for Sci-fi. a werewolf transforms when ever the Star Sirius is present in the sky. This would make for an everynight transformation unless they go to the souther hemisphere or something.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Of course, the trick would be knowing that Sirius is known as the "Dog Star".
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Lupin wrote:Of course, the trick would be knowing that Sirius is known as the "Dog Star".
did I forget to mention that :lol: hwlwnk
Ookamikaze
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The Duckie Bomber Wolf

Post by Ookamikaze »

Well as for m-shifting then I do it almost anytime but my energy rises higher as the full moon approaches. And no I can't p-shift but there are small changes.
I'm having my stupid moment right now I'll be back in 5.
GENSI
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by GENSI »

the-moon-only-gives-the-werewolf-stregnth-and-power-but-the-human-body-cant-hadle-it-so-the-body-forces-itself-to-change-so-the-werewolf-could-use-the-power-with-out0tiring-the-muscles-and-cells :x
FEARTHEHOWL
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

GENSI wrote:the-moon-only-gives-the-werewolf-stregnth-and-power-but-the-human-body-cant-hadle-it-so-the-body-forces-itself-to-change-so-the-werewolf-could-use-the-power-with-out0tiring-the-muscles-and-cells :x
Interesting opinion. I'll have to add that to my list of possible explanations.

However, please don't type it like that. Not only is it difficult to read, but it makes it feel like you are trying to say that is the SINGLE, ONLY answer...

...and the angry face at the end suggests that you have hostile emotions towards anyone who tries to disagree with you.

FYI... that sort of attitude does not fly very far around here. I respect your opinion, and I think that is a good idea. Now PLEASE...return the favor, relax and respect ours.

Oh!... and...

WELCOME TO "THE PACK" GENSI .................Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
GENSI
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by GENSI »

SORRY-AND-THANKS :D
FEARTHEHOWL
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Caps lock isn't much better. *chomps GENSI as the traditional welcome, a bit hard though, and runs off with blood dripping from her maw*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Set wrote:Caps lock isn't much better. *chomps GENSI as the traditional welcome, a bit hard though, and runs off with blood dripping from her maw*

napkin?
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

No thanks. lck :eviljester:
Black Fang
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Moonlight

Post by Black Fang »

A werewolf (or lycanthrope) in folklore and mythology is a person who shapeshifts into a wolf, either purposely, by using magic, or after being placed under a curse. The medieval chronicler Gervase of Tilbury associated the transformation with the appearance of the full moon, but this concept was rarely associated with the werewolf until the idea was picked up by modern fiction writers-Wikipedia

Turns out full moons and werewolves was just picked up from medieval times by writers.
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

moon, eh?

Post by nachoboy »

i think that for new were's, it would be triggered by things like subconscious thought, including thoughts that the moon might affect things, emotions, and other such things.

when were's get more used to it and practiced, i imagine that maybe they could change at will.

also, i think that the moon's phases may make it easier to shift, but not command any shifting. you know what i mean?
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Something to keep in mind the word were means human not werebeast.
I know its not important, just something to throw out there.

were (wer) man: wolf werewolf=man wolf.