How painful should the shift be? And...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How painful after the first few shifts?

Always painful just like the first time.
12%
Reduces in pain over time but is still very painful.
21%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
16%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
13%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
7%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
32%

Total votes: 102

GENSI
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by GENSI »

after-the-first-shift-your-body-should-be-ready-and-prepared-for-the-changing
FEARTHEHOWL
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

GENSI wrote:after-the-first-shift-your-body-should-be-ready-and-prepared-for-the-changing
Seriously... you are welcome to continue sharing your opinions here.

...but-cut-it-out-with-the-dashes-between-every-word-thing. It is obnoxious.

STOP IT Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
GENSI
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by GENSI »

MY-SPACE-IS-BROKE :x
FEARTHEHOWL
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

GENSI wrote:MY-SPACE-IS-BROKE :x

*runs around like chicken little*

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Oh..wait. you mean your space bar on your PC.

Whew. :jester:
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

you could use the periods instead, its less hard to read.

like.this.hi.my.name.is.rhuen.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Rhuen wrote:

...or the underscore...

This_is_typing_with_the_underscore.

And.this.is.typing.using.periods.as.spaces.

Personally_I_like_both_better_than_using_dashes...

ESPECIALLY-IF-YOU-INSIST-UPON-USING-ALL-CAPITAL-LETTERS-LIKE-THIS.
(Please don't do that either, BTW. All capital letters = YELLING on the internet. Yelling is Rude.)

...but seriously...replace your keyboard. You can pick up a basic, no frills one for Cheap.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Dawnsie

Post by Dawnsie »

:howl:  :oo You know, I always thought that a transformation would be a lot more like the first time you had sex - fairly painful at first, then a transition into feeling very good, and it also depends on how much you are fighting to control or repress it....if you are not ready, it's gonna be a bit nasty....has anyone else wondered about this particular theory?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Dawnsie wrote::howl:  :oo You know, I always thought that a transformation would be a lot more like the first time you had sex - fairly painful at first, then a transition into feeling very good, and it also depends on how much you are fighting to control or repress it....if you are not ready, it's gonna be a bit nasty....has anyone else wondered about this particular theory?
I absolutly DESPISE the repeated comparrison of a Transformation with the physical sensations of Sexual Intercourse.

...it allways feels like people are just making the whole thing into some kinky sex fetish.

...when I consider the ways in which a Transformation could be considered 'enjoyable', I think of more of a purely psychological thrill sort of way, or maybe the RUSH of a really intense workout/run/climb...but not THAT kind of pleasurable sensation.

'That's just perverted'

But in the "First Scary...then Exiting" sense...Yes. I agree that it could be alot like that.

=^.^'= ~
Dawnsie

Post by Dawnsie »

:lol: Notice I said nothing of the pleasurable sensations, but made comparisons to the physical instead - the changes your body goes through - etc. I think your body actually going through massive changes in structure would not be completely comfortable, and would be extremely similar psychologically to the fears and unsureness of having sex, rather then being a sensuous thing. And please forgive me for this cliche - but when we have that time of the month, the pain is still there - it hasn't become pleasurable, but something we are used to and have to deal with each specific time. Every single time is different depending on mood, enviornment, nutrition, etc. You never quite know. You get through it as best you can, and some women handle it quite well, while others do not. It also depends on body structure and size. It appears to me this would be much bigger then a case of cramps, and would be a bit scary just about every time. And seeing this is only my second post, at least try to be kind in responding - It's slightly alarming to be jumped on after the first post.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Dawnsie wrote::lol: Notice I said nothing of the pleasurable sensations, but made comparisons to the physical instead - the changes your body goes through - etc. I think your body actually going through massive changes in structure would not be completely comfortable, and would be extremely similar psychologically to the fears and unsureness of having sex, rather then being a sensuous thing. And please forgive me for this cliche - but when we have that time of the month, the pain is still there - it hasn't become pleasurable, but something we are used to and have to deal with each specific time. Every single time is different depending on mood, enviornment, nutrition, etc. You never quite know. You get through it as best you can, and some women handle it quite well, while others do not. It also depends on body structure and size. It appears to me this would be much bigger then a case of cramps, and would be a bit scary just about every time. And seeing this is only my second post, at least try to be kind in responding - It's slightly alarming to be jumped on after the first post.
Sorry about that...

Comparing Transformations to Sex, and Comparing the Lunar Werewolf cycle to female menstration are two of my pet peeves, and it just drives me crazy every time someone brings one or both of these up...again.

It's just bad taste, IMHO.

But I know what you Meant. ...comparing it more to how a person 'reacts' to the unfamiliar sensations, rather than how it 'feels'.

=^.^'= ~
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Vuldari wrote:
Rhuen wrote:

...or the underscore...

This_is_typing_with_the_underscore.

And.this.is.typing.using.periods.as.spaces.

Personally_I_like_both_better_than_using_dashes...

ESPECIALLY-IF-YOU-INSIST-UPON-USING-ALL-CAPITAL-LETTERS-LIKE-THIS.
(Please don't do that either, BTW. All capital letters = YELLING on the internet. Yelling is Rude.)

...but seriously...replace your keyboard. You can pick up a basic, no frills one for Cheap.
Ah, you would have yelled at him no matter how he separated his words. :wink:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

hmm I think it'd be very painful first, even more if you try in fight it.
Fighting it would put more preasure on yourself ect.

After a few transformations, you'd get used to the pain then it wouldn't be as painful. You know?
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
Nissadex

Post by Nissadex »

You know, if the shift was really really painful after a long peroid of time, then (In the belief that werewolves could) wouldn't they commit suicide? I don't know about you, but If I was a werewolf, and I had to go through that much pain every time I wanted, or ws forced to, shift, then I'd be pretty sunk REAL fast. I think its more realistic, that although it may hurt the same ammount every time, that it not hurt enough to bother the person so much that they have to roll on the ground, howling in pain. I think that it would hurt less, because, like others have said before me, you're body would get used to it. Imagne someone doing a split. At first, it would hurt REALLY bad if they did a split without ever doing on before, but after pratice, they can do it with no pain. Actually, I see shifting as a bit different, like they would feel the popping discomfort when they shifted, but after a bit it wouldn't -hurt-. It would still be uncomfortable, but it wouldn'tt ame them wish they hadden't done it.
'When it hurts to look behind you, and you're scared to look ahead, you can always look beside you, where your best friend will be.' -Unknown
Jessie-Simone
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Jessie-Simone »

:) Nissadex That is what I agree with.
Thanks to Sae-Kurosawa
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

I go with the nerve dead or massive endorphine release methods for the body to make the transformation mostly painless. a deep pain at the start but if you don't fight it your body might just become numb, maybe a hot, dizzy, electric buzz kind of feel.
Like being really sick and doped up on pain killers, and you need to throw up. If you fight this need it hurts and your uncomfortable, but give in and it happens quikly and while you may feel all hot and dizzy the process is done.
maybe a bad and gross comparison. :lol:

But that's just how I see it, and like vomiting, once you let it happen you might feel much better afterwards.
Zockereinstein
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dancing with machines.

Both answers.

Post by Zockereinstein »

In that "Oh, I am a werewolf, a mystical creature from the woods, protector of the nature, bla, bla, bla...", the change would be painless and sure enjoyable. Well, this is the point of view of most people around here (I think). Personally I prefer the "cursing" point of view, that is, a curse, a bloody and painful curse terrible for the mind, soul and body of the werewolf (and worse for the victims, of course). So in the last case the transformation would be terribly painful. :wink:
Echo!!....
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

YA pain and pleasure go together if you know how to mix them right, i know girls that when i nibble or twist on there nipples they Love it you just have to know the amount of pain that is consitered pleasureable. lck
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

I have been thinking this one over.

I would see the start as horribly painful but quikly due to brain changes, chemical balances changing, and hormonal shifts that you're mind may protect you from the major pain to come from the main portion of the shift. I could see the majority of the experience being "trippy" like with hallucinacians, screwed up vision, even blacked out vision as the face and eyes change, and basically like your flipping out on some drug.

Another though on the transformation, with all the muscles clinching during the transformation doesn't one run the risk of vomiting or releasing their bowls during the first part of the shift, when all the muscles tighten up just prior to the onset of the transformation?
Fencediddy
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Blades are good! Silat for all!!

Post by Fencediddy »

the stress on he body that a change induces would be much like wolverines claws it hurt everytime. the rapid expansion of muscle and change in bone structure would be enought o shoot any nreves over and over again. but sense this is a natural occurance the body may come to expect it but it wouldnt kill the pain. as i stated in my view of an emotionally driven change as opposed to a full moon change. the WW would be in tons of stress and then the body would react as more of a self defense/ release of tension by changing.

the pain would be ther all the time no matter what its just liek cracking your knuckles. the first time you swear youll never do ti agian but then you keep doing it and suddenly it becomes second nature and habit. the secret is pain alweays hurts it just not minding that it does.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

Well my oppinion is number 2. In order to re-configure your bone structure in any way some pain seems required while conscious in my oppinion requires some pain no matter what. Of course if the pain reaches an unbearable point you could pass out and thats then end of that :)

It would also seem that after awhile a werewolf would gain experience with the pain and be expecting it, but it would hurt none the less. Its like when you stab yourself on accident with a knife versus on purpose. Hurts less on purpose eh? (Well...not saying I do it often, but for me it didn't)
My real online handle is Derutydragon
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

MuDD wrote:I think I'm going to have to go with an other vote, I like to think that a werewolf's transformations would only hurt if they fought the change, i.e you don't fight, it doesn't hurt, or atleast it doesn't hurt as much
That makes sense to me. I agree.

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

I think it should be along these lines...

First Transformation: Excruciatingly painful. The body is changing in ways the person has not anticipated, and he fears this change. Those two factors would increase the feelings of pain.

All Transformations after: The person starts to accustom to the change and learns to suppress the extreme feelings of pain.

Also, has anyone else wanted to see a were charge at someone WHILE transforming?

Personally i think that would be majorly awesome :D

Laters
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I find it rediculous for people saying it feels good over time when shifting. Wheres the excitement in that?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Since others seem to be repeating themselves, I feel compelled to as well...

It is my opinion that, due to the extremes at which the body must be manipulated in order to transform, significant pain is an unavoidable consequence, even when factoring in endorphines and the like.

However, I think it is important not to overlook that the presence of significant pain during any kind of intense physical activity does not automatically make said action "Unbearable".

I like to use intense physical workouts, and high-impact sports as an example. In time, your muscles and joints begin to ache and burn painfully...and yet, one will quite willingly keep going, in spite of the pain, until they can go no further, and later on (even whilst tending to their injuries), describe the experience as a predominantly positive one.

Like eating really spicy food...the pain itself is not in any way a source of any pleasure...but you willingly endure it again and again in order to re-sample the addictive, intense flavor that comes along with it.

In summary: I think it is only logical that it would be painful every single time. But...that does not mean that I don't think if one learned to accept the change, that they would be able to learn to greatly appreciate the experience of transforming...in spite of the pain.
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

That's a very interesting point. It's true and makes a good example.

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill