Deer Woman

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Deer Woman

Post by Jamie »

I'm trying to get more information about what I'm pretty sure is a were-deer film. And it's by John Landis! However, I haven't been able to completely confirm that it contains a shapeshifter. It might just be an animalistic woman.
Has anyone here seen this? Can you confirm whether there is any actual shapeshifting in it?

Here are some links:

Internet Movie Database

Preview video on Youtube

DVD Release
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

Here are two reviews:

>John Landis is mostly known as a comedy director. However, his revolutionary “An American Werewolf in London” was so groundbreaking and made such an impression on the horror industry that Landis will always be considered a master of the genre . . . Landis was brought on to the “Masters of Horror” television show to direct the short-form horror film “Deer Woman.” Written by his son Max, “Deer Woman” is about a Native American legend of a beautiful woman with deer hooves. She makes her way into human society, seduces men and then tramples them to death . . .

>The detective is tracking a string of murders where unrelated victims tend to be trampled to death while in a state of arousal. He stumbles upon the legend of the Deer Woman . . . While it is tempting to label this episode as a cheap-end “X-Files” plot, there’s a lot more here. It’s really a horror-comedy, with a strong emphasis on comedy . . . It is this tight-lipped delivery that makes “Deer Woman” work as a great piece of modern camp. Instead of ripping off something like “The X-Files,” he sends up the genre. Landis directs the horror elements very straight, even when the subject matter is so ludicrous. What you end up with is a pretty hysterical piece of television . . .

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/review ... review.htm

>>Set in the Seattle area (but filmed, as all MoH episodes are, in Vancouver), "Deer Woman" looks great. The scenery and cinematography are a perfect match, and best of all Landis is back at the top of his game . . .

>>The pacing in "Deer Woman" is right on the mark, a testament, again, to Landis' sharpness and also to the quality and tightness of the script penned by his son, Max, who was still a teen-ager at the time. Interestingly enough, in the "Working with a Master" featurette, we learn that John and Max disagreed about the ending with, as you'd expect, the elder Landis having final say . . .

http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php?n ... ent&id=928
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

RedWolf wrote:Here are two reviews:
Yeah, it sounds good from the reviews. Unfortunately, none of the reviews I've read has actually stated that she turns into a deer. Yeah, there are references that her feet look like a deer's feet, and her eyes reflect the glow of headlights, but these characteristics could belong to a non-shapeshifter too.
-Jamie Hall
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I have seen it and own it. I bought it cheap.

Its a nature spirit half deer. She is like a Satyre. Human waste up, deer legs down. But she covers them with a long dress.

She seduces men and then stomps them to death before vanishing. Its only a 60 minute movie.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

heh....I bet the sequel would be....

[s]Dear[/s] "Deer Ann Landers"

:jester:
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Rhuen wrote:I have seen it and own it. I bought it cheap.

Its a nature spirit half deer. She is like a Satyre. Human waste up, deer legs down. But she covers them with a long dress.

She seduces men and then stomps them to death before vanishing. Its only a 60 minute movie.
Like a satyr! Ack! We finally get another animal-person film from John Landis and it isn't even a shapeshifter! :(
-Jamie Hall
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Short movie.

I saw it the other day in the video store. It was one of two stories. But it wasnt in. I probably wouldnt have gotten it anyway.

I finally convinced my mate to rent The Shaggy Dog. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend