RP IRC Chatroom open for business!

From Tabletop to Larping.
Baphnedia

RP IRC Chatroom open for business!

Post by Baphnedia »

IRC Server = chat.psionics.net:6667
Channel = #paradice

This room is open to Pack members, and non-Pack members alike! If you're in the Pack though, please use the same nick name as you do here. The room comes with a dicebot, so long as it remains occupied.

It comes with a rather good dicebot, unless you're dropping level 89 fireballs that you think blow up planets.

If you're interested, come join us over there! If you need IRC help, please ask!
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Just precluding some questions:
IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is a client-server based system, and servers are for the most part independant. For example, if you connect to irc.freenode.net and join #paradice you'll find it to either be empty or full of people talking about some completely unrelated thing; it has nothing to do with the #paradice on chat.psionics.net.

To use IRC:
Find an IRC client; there are quite a few out there, for every platform.

Here're some of my favorites:
ChatZilla - an extension for Firefox and Mozilla (I think Mozilla comes with it, not sure though). With it installed, you'll be able to click on links like [url=irc://chat.psionics.net/paradice]irc://chat.psionics.net/paradice[/url] to get on IRC, and it can also be used independantly, without a link. It runs on anything that firefox runs on, as far as I know.

XChat - My personal favorite; a bit harder to learn to use if you're unfamilliar with IRC, and originally designed for *nix (Linux, Unix, and other misc. POSIX-compliant) OS's, it can be a little odd feeling to someone not used to such things, but it's very powerful, and runs on most mainstream OS's.
Also popular client, although not one I like, is mIRC, a nonfree windows-only program.

Useful commands found on most clients (Note: many clients let you do // if you actually want to start a line with / that's not a command):
/me <string> - Executes an emote with the supplied string. For example, entering "/me dances" would display * Ralith dances.
/join <channel> - Joins the specified channel. All channels begin with #. For example, entering "/join #paradice" after connecting to chat.sionics.net would take me to our channel.
/nick <new nick> - Changes your nick.
/away <reason> - Sets your status as away, for reason <reason>. Most clients will display your nick greyed out or otherwise marked in the userlist while you're away.
/msg <nick> <message> - Sends a private message to <nick>. Most clients will open a new tab or window when a reply to one of these is received.
/notice <nick> <message> - Like /msg, except will show wherever <nick> is currently viewing, and does not open a new tab/window.
/whois <nick> - Displays information about the nick supplied. For example, entering "/whois Ralith" would display
* [Ralith] (~Ralith@soggy202.drizzle.com): Ralith Lupus
* [Ralith] #paradice
* [Ralith] chat.psionics.net :The Internet's Premiere Role-Playing Chat Community
* [Ralith] idle 00:00:17, signon: Thu Nov 03 06:59:07
* [Ralith] End of WHOIS list.
(note that formatting may vary on other clients)

How to register (Registration will prevent others from impersonating you):
Once you've connected, enter "/nickserv register <pass> <email>". The email MUST be valid, as it will send a one-time-use command to it that you'll have to enter to complete registration. Once you've registered, reconnect and enter "/pass <pass>" within one minute to log in. If you don't enter it within the time limit, the server will force your name to change to something like "Guest123". Most clients can be configured to automatically enter that after connecting.

If you say someone's full nick, chances are their client will flash to get their attention. Don't abuse this.

[edit: added /away]
[edit2: added note about beeping]
[edit3: added /msg and /notice]
[edit4: minor reformatting]
Sanity is relative.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Thank's Ralith! It's a good tutorial and it covers most of the needs of the players. Now only to ask Vilkacis for a tutorial when he's done with his dicebots (the same goes for Lupin)...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

You can find the IRC stats for the channel here. They're updated every 30 minutes. (Unless I kill it to do something CPU hogging.)
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

sorry to say baph but im not one for dice rolling RPing, im more for the one that concours with writing skill on how much you hit someone then simply luck, I know it sounds odd but your have to be really good too get how to do it, I am one of the people that can kill most of his oppents, but I know someone who is so good that he will kill you in like the first post he makes((referring to longer forum post instead of IRC post))
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Well, while I use the dice a little bit as an arbiter of what happens, they are used somewhat sparingly. We're not using any formal system, and roleplay isn't about dice in the first place.

Diceless roleplaying is easier than bothering with dice, because once you start working variables, you have a tendency of getting more and more (and more) detailed all the time. It isn't a numbers game except to computers, except for the basics.
Nishah
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Infuriae

Post by Nishah »

Hmmmm... intresting notion Searif...

Someone that is so good in text-based roleplaying that he kills you in one post ? I do have some trouble picturing quite HOW you do that.... I'm no novice at discriptive playing but that kinda blows my socks off...(and i'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing ?? ) Got an example ? PM it or Mail it if this is not the appropriate place to post that...

And about the diced/diceless playing... I prefer diceless when you go social and diced when you go physical... I've had too many prolmens with yahoos that suffer from the "did not !" syndrome when you write about their persona getting waxed... at least dice can't be argued (and even then...).
And indeed - dice breed complexity...
Sister of Wolves, seek your compagnions
You hear the call of the wild,
I summon your instincts
- Hagalaz Runedance/wake skadi
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Dice and associated complexities are good primarily for one thing: preventing the sort of person who just claims to be uber.
Sanity is relative.
Lone_Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Ralith wrote:Dice and associated complexities are good primarily for one thing: preventing the sort of person who just claims to be uber.
Definitely. We don't use them much so it's no biggie to use them once in a while to avoid players totally controlling their destiny ;)
Hearth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hearth »

Does mIRC compute, or is it completely different thing?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Heart of the Pack wrote:Does mIRC compute, or is it completely different thing?
mIRC is an IRC client, yes.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Lupin wrote:You can find the IRC stats for the channel here. They're updated every 30 minutes. (Unless I kill it to do something CPU hogging.)
I lie, they're here now http://ralith.nonexiste.net/~pack/paradice.html
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Oh, and if we didn't mention this before, we kinda moved.
irc.paradice.net 6667 #paradice

500,000+ lines total?!