Trapped in Form?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Uhmm...in a word, yes.
ImageImageImageImage
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Anubis wrote:(Off topic)wait a minute! if thats true then a werewolf would TF once every six hours with the tides because that when the moon is closest to an area. and what about evolutionary wise what sort of event(s) that could bring an involintary TF when a full moon hangs up in the sky?
There's a big difference between describing an element as "influencing" and "causing a werewolf to involuntarily shift."

And besides, the point I was trying to make is that there's more to the moon than a big freakin' rock.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I can think of one other thing that might cause a WW to remain stuck in a form for extended periods of time.

Emotions, or better put, extreme emotions. Imagine getting someone who is a WW so angry at you the involentaly shift and fall into a rage. Still almost completly human in thought, perhaps not even realizing that they shifted. They maul the person that pissed them off. realize what they have done/that they shifted. Then try and go back human. Its possible that thier emotions, or maybe thier selfconcious, might pervent them from shifting back.

The same could be said in situations of extreme grief or fear. Someone involentaily shifts after a gun is pulled on them. They handle the situation then try and shift back, no go. Or said person has just lost thier life mate, they try to full wolf so they can run/howl off thier grief, but something keeps them in human form. It could last for a few hours, or maybe even years depending on the power of the emotion.

Just my thoughts ^^;
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

The thing about the extreme emotion argument is that the first shift is always involuntary durring the full moon, but after they've experienced it, they will have some understanding of how to force it or suppress it. If they shifted under some extreme emotional stress, that could revert them back to the uncontrolled "learning" period, but not cripple their ability to shift completely.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:The thing about the extreme emotion argument is that the first shift is always involuntary durring the full moon, but after they've experienced it, they will have some understanding of how to force it or suppress it. If they shifted under some extreme emotional stress, that could revert them back to the uncontrolled "learning" period, but not cripple their ability to shift completely.
I think you are underestimating the influence and power of emotion over the body and ones will... so I disagree with you.

I know a little bit about how much of an effect emotion (both Outwardly Dramatic and Deeply Buried and Unseen) can have on ones physical body over both short and long term periods, and I can tell you that it can do quite a number on someone.

Also...emotional trauma is enough to cause people to have selective amnesia, so forgetting and re-forgetting how to controll ones shifting ability I think could be quite plausable for someone who experiences an extremely emotionally traumatic event...even to the point of seemingly permanent controll loss.

Short Term Form-Lock or temporary loss of concious controll would possibly not only be likely, but even Common, depending on the people involved and the situation. IMHO.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:Also...emotional trauma is enough to cause people to have selective amnesia, so forgetting and re-forgetting how to controll ones shifting ability I think could be quite plausable for someone who experiences an extremely emotionally traumatic event...even to the point of seemingly permanent controll loss.
In which case they revert to uncontrolled lycanthropy. A lycanthropic shift is nothing like anything a person could have ever experienced beforehand, so in order to learn how to control it, they would have had to have shifted and reverted via the natural cycle.

Selective amnesia could cause them to forget how to force or prevent a shift, but doing so would only set them back to the natural cycle.

An emotional trama could theoretically motivate a werewolf to choose to stay in form, but I just can't see it being the direct cause of anything more than a loss of experience in control.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Syzygy wrote:Hmm...
What about some sort of a silver collar (forcibly) put on the werewolf's neck in human form. Wouldn't that slice into their neck if they tried to TF?
I still dont believe the whole collar slicing into necks, I believe it would just choke them untill they pass out and the transformation stops and then reverts back.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

Aah... But they'll still be trapped. Somebody could also make the inner ring of the collar razor-sharp.
Eat more tobasco.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:An emotional trama could theoretically motivate a werewolf to choose to stay in form, but I just can't see it being the direct cause of anything more than a loss of experience in control.
Within a Werewolves body, if they have the capacity to induce or resist shifting, then there Must be a biochemical "Switch" of some kind.
(Assuming we are talking about bio/sci-fi werewolves, and not purely mystical ones...in which case the rules would be completely different)

All one would need to do is be stressed or off-balance enough so that those chemicals/hormones are pushed so far towards the, "don't shift...hold this form no matter what...moon or no moon...danger or no danger", level that they can no longer will themselves to do anything untill it returns to normal.

I would imagine that certain illnesses, or exposure to toxic substances or some recreational or medicinal drugs as well, could disrupt a werewolves "Shift/Don't Shift" hormone balance enough that they would either be forced to shift involuntarily, or be disabled from being able to properly induce a shift either way.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Syzygy wrote:Hmm...
What about some sort of a silver collar (forcibly) put on the werewolf's neck in human form. Wouldn't that slice into their neck if they tried to TF?
I still dont believe the whole collar slicing into necks, I believe it would just choke them untill they pass out and the transformation stops and then reverts back.
You haven't seen a badly neglected dog with a tight collar, have you? If that dog is still growing and the collar is tight enough the flesh will actually grow up over the sides of the collar and become embedded in the animal's neck. It often has to be cut out by a vet.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Stuck in form...FormLocked...Shifter broke??

Post by RedEye »

It's possible. Remember, when it isn't the moon (LunarSynthysis?) it is some emotion that triggers adrenalin (fight/Flight). Since a Werewolf is better at either activity...and many times running away is the best action, the Were' could be stuck...FormLocked...until the scare or threat is dissipated, according to the Instincts of the WOLF involved, which would be at variance to the Human idea of Threat/Danger.
I could also suggest that FormLock could be triggered by: Grief (loss of Mate), Shame, Mental Upset (can't focus enough to cause reversion),
Abiding Anger (as in Lit. above), or even Love; For Pack, For Mate, for Cause.
The WOLF is the Protector of the Human. In shifting, the Wolf dominates.
Reversion, on the other hand, must come as an agreement between Human and Wulfen spirits or minds.
Maybe the Wolf wants to change, the Human doesn't. (Who Would?)
Maybe the Human wants to change, but the Wolf has issues.
Werewolves are a doubled being. Both have to respect the other SELF in that body.
Lots'a ways reversion...or shift...won't happen.

Or, so I've been told...... :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

Ya i think it is possible to get stuck in wereform that means eatting all the time and mabe hiding during the day. :howl:  :oo
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

I think it would be possible to get stuck in complete wolf form but not any other form. Here is why. Gestalt takes too much concentration and practice to keep the body between forms at that transformation peak. If that were to slip they would just go into either form. A werewolf couldn't get stuck in human form just for the simple fact of that necessity to change the moon would still pull them if they went without changing for too long no matter what they willed their body to do. I believe that if a werewolf changed to full wolf form and whole heartly did not want to change back into a human for whatever reason that they could remain stuck in that form. Living out the rest of their existence as a wolf. Basically it is a mental aliment preventing the change not a physical one they have to want to change back to a human.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.