The details of transformation.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

The details of transformation.

Post by outwarddoodles »

Being there seems to be so much conversation inwhich I have missed out I would like what people have seemed to settle on for the details on transformation? :shift:

What triggers it, how can it be controlled by its self. What does it feel like? And what is the change to human to wolf and back? And if we are using 3 forms (human, wolf, and hybred) then what are the changes between them?

And does this mean you'll be naked in the end? :wink:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Sorry now, I forgot to put what I thought.

I think the transformation could gon in many different ways. I think it may start from the nose and work down, may start form the center and burst outward all together, or all together now! I think the bones would strecth and the musles would grow, shrink, or form ,depending, and then the skin and fur strecth over. Which it would look much better seeing them form before the fur so you would see it all. :D
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Re: The details of transformation.

Post by Aki »

outwarddoodles wrote:Being there seems to be so much conversation inwhich I have missed out I would like what people have seemed to settle on for the details on transformation? :shift:

What triggers it, how can it be controlled by its self. What does it feel like? And what is the change to human to wolf and back? And if we are using 3 forms (human, wolf, and hybred) then what are the changes between them?

And does this mean you'll be naked in the end? :wink:
Brownrigg has said the trigger for the first shift is always the Full Moon. However, after that it seems the moon isn't exactly needed...

As for the feeling, one would imagine it to be both Excruiatingly painful, but pleasureful and thrilling at the same time. someone one likened the thrill to that of jumping out of a plane. ;)

The change can be to any from, from any form. In fact, on the first shift, the Werewolf has been said (By Brownrigg) to shift to a Full Wolf form, not the Hybrid (Gestalt).

Uh...changes between the forms? as in, appareance?

:?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

As Aki stated, the full moon does play a part in transformation. Essentially, a newly-infected werewolf couldn't know how to shift or be instructed as to how to shift -- as another forum attendant stated, trying to teach someone how to shift would be like trying to explain to someone that's never had chocolate what it tastes like. Therefore, the first shift is during the full moon and unwilling as the werewolf will just as well not know how to resist the changes. Once having experienced it, however, he will know what causes the shift and be able to force a shift without a full moon or resist a shift during the full moon.

The first shift is extremely painful, so much so that it can sometimes be fatal if the lycanthrope's regenerative capabilities do not become active in time. There is no way anyone could possibly be prepared for the kinds of pain that comes with a shapeshift, but the more they shift, the less painful it becomes. First, they will know what to expect during future shifts, and any future shifts will be willed. Eventually the pain won't bother them as much as it did the first time and it will feel more like an adrenaline rush.

It's debatable what triggers a shift, but for the most part I think we've agreed on adrenaline. This works in with the whole supernatural folklore element because it defines the supernatural triggers (full moon and daylight) in more or less psychological definitions. The idea that was thrown out was that a full moon can enduce an increase in adrenaline (in humans) and a sunrise is naturally relaxing. Werewolves are in human form most of the time and therefore subject to the same psychological influences, but since psychology didn't exist as a concept back when werewolves were first observed, the triggers were considered to be supernatural (though we never really got a chance to discuss that thouroughly, so don't hold me to it).

We never really went into a deep discussion about the possibility of a werewolf form or a werewolf form and a full wolf form, but it's mentioned in Jack Loffman's character description that his father "went feral," so I think that would be a good indication that, yes, werewolves are capable of shifting from full man to full wolf and anywhere in between.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

*nods* Other than the virtual given of the full moon, I say extreme emotional stress or injury could trigger a change in a werewolf who hasn't grasped complete control. Another possibility for an unwanted shift could be the right sort of dream - dreaming of themselves as their lupine self, or a particularly bad nightmare.

I visualize the change itself starting with "secondary" features - overally body hair increase - pointing of the ears, lengthening and sharpening of teeth and nails, the eyes changing color and shape, then from out in - hands and feet begining to change, the muscles swelling as bone rearranging. Essentially, going from least to most drastic changes.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

One thing I'm not fond of is the bubbling flesh. Just doesnt make any sense. Even for shapeshifting, its really odd.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Arania wrote:*nods* Other than the virtual given of the full moon, I say extreme emotional stress or injury could trigger a change in a werewolf who hasn't grasped complete control. Another possibility for an unwanted shift could be the right sort of dream - dreaming of themselves as their lupine self, or a particularly bad nightmare.
You could make an argument for the emotional stress or injury, but I'm going to have to disagree with the dream theory. I've been jolted out of my sleep by muscle cramps, so I doubt a werewolf would be able to stay asleep through the whole shapeshifting experience. They could potentially have a dream that would trigger the beginning stages, but the pain would jolt them awake, in which case they would more than likely reverse the effects on their own accord.
Silverclaw wrote:One thing I'm not fond of is the bubbling flesh. Just doesnt make any sense. Even for shapeshifting, its really odd.
*nods* Yeah, that is pretty bad. I think that was thrown in for the horror element as opposed to something that could be debated.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

I agree with the bubbling flesh - that has always been just plain revolting, and doesn't make sense in a shift from one to the other.

For the dreams, well, I guess it would be a combination of just how painful the shift was and the individual. Me, for example, I can have a bad stomach ache and instead of having that wake me up, the stomach ache just incorporates itself into my dream... so I have a stomach ache in whatever I'm dreaming. Or if I'm really thirsty, I'll dream about being really thirsty, and nothing I drink helps (which sucks, btw)
Beastofgaia
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Beastofgaia »

i think that the White Wolf view on the change is good... 5 forms... homid, glabro, crinos, hispo and lupus...

homid: like an human being... the WW couldn't be recognize as a WW...

Glabro: a form enter the Crinos and Homid form... the man gets 15 centimeters and his claws and fangs bengi to grow...

Crinos: the beastial form... used for the battel... big, strong, the best predator in the food chain...

Hispo: a really big wolf... looking like the prehistorics wolves...

Lupus: like a wolf... theWW couldn't be recognize as a WW...
- She the Mother of all things... we are her sons and she take care of our live... I will howl this night in order to open my heart to her...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Beastofgaia wrote:i think that the White Wolf view on the change is good... 5 forms... homid, glabro, crinos, hispo and lupus...

Glabro: a form enter the Crinos and Homid form... the man gets 15 centimeters and his claws and fangs bengi to grow...

Crinos: the beastial form... used for the battel... big, strong, the best predator in the food chain...

We are trying to stay away from White-wolf. They tried to sue Underworld.

Please stop using those terms. We have our own.

Gestalt, human and wolf.
Beastofgaia
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Beastofgaia »

okey no problem^^ 8)
- She the Mother of all things... we are her sons and she take care of our live... I will howl this night in order to open my heart to her...
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Figarou wrote:
Beastofgaia wrote:i think that the White Wolf view on the change is good... 5 forms... homid, glabro, crinos, hispo and lupus...

Gestalt, human and wolf.
Well, Technically speaking White Wolf had some damn solid ground to stand on in the Underworld case - more so than just Vampires Vs Werewolves - but the entire plotline mirrored one of their novels.
From what I heard through the rumor mill, they won the case, but I could be mistaken.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Arania wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Gestalt, human and wolf.
Well, Technically speaking White Wolf had some damn solid ground to stand on in the Underworld case - more so than just Vampires Vs Werewolves - but the entire plotline mirrored one of their novels.
From what I heard through the rumor mill, they won the case, but I could be mistaken.
its not the Vampires vs Werewolves I was pointing at. Its the White-wolf terms. (Crinos ETC.) Its not a good idea to say "Crinos form" "Wyrm" and all that jazz. We don't want them coming down on our case for that.
GinkitsuneYasha
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by GinkitsuneYasha »

Well for shifts, I would say the 1st few be the most painful, and the frist few shifts contorled by the full moon, intil they learn how to shift on their own, supect the pain and over power that pain. 8) :wink:
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Bubbling flesh: Eck! I know, I couldn't think why.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

*falls out of chair due to enormous size of ginkitsuneyasha's signature* what,m yes, it would be painnful... *can't take eyes off*

yes, it would be painfull the first few times definetly but the amount and duration would depend o the people.
GinkitsuneYasha
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by GinkitsuneYasha »

Shadowblaze wrote:*falls out of chair due to enormous size of ginkitsuneyasha's signature* what,m yes, it would be painnful... *can't take eyes off*

yes, it would be painfull the first few times definetly but the amount and duration would depend o the people.
*looks back and forth* I wouldn't have the piccy in my siggy if I could get the little icon to work with the head I try and put in it...

edit: my friend help me fix it all
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Annoncer- Time for another stunning eposide of 'Return of the Dead Topic!!!' :wink:

I'm just going to post here instead of making a new thread. Its related to this topic anyways.
OK, reverse shifting; changing back to human form. Would it be in the same shifting order as when they got furry? Hands/feet/tail first to start going back to human. Or would those be the last things to change? Check Silver's Corner about shifting if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:Annoncer- Time for another stunning eposide of 'Return of the Dead Topic!!!' :wink:

Awwwww..I already seen that episode. Its a rerun!! :wink:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

pfft. they';rea ll reruns. boooo!

anyways, i figure that it would either happen in the same or reverse order.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadowblaze wrote:pfft. they';rea ll reruns. boooo!

anyways, i figure that it would either happen in the same or reverse order.

hmmmmmm.........some TF orders may not look right when reversed.

We shall soon see the diff...(rolls "R")......ance!!! :D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yeah, you do have a point. but the TF order could be slightly reverse- or it could just change. the question is, should the human have fur aon while evrything else happens?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'd go with last-in = first-out, first-in = last-out. That is, if the fur popped out late, it would retract early. Or, if they had a thin coat of fur early and thicker later, it would gradually recede just as it gradually came in.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:I'd go with last-in = first-out, first-in = last-out. That is, if the fur popped out late, it would retract early. Or, if they had a thin coat of fur early and thicker later, it would gradually recede just as it gradually came in.
If i was a werewolf, I'll be laughing like crazy when the hair on my belly recedes!!

I'm ticklish!! :lol:
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

YA i bet when you wake up the next day you probly feel like you were beat up with a baseball bat, but that should decrease with in the day but still would be painful i hope, LOL JK rvt
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html