weird sports

The place for anything at all...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

weird sports

Post by Kzinistzerg »

What's the weirdest nonofficial sports you have every played?

for me it was:

calvinball (from calvin and hobbes- its really fun. i love random games.)
volleycube (volleyball with a giant nurf die. as in sinular for dice.)
hockey-baseball-tennis-bowling (dont ask. but it involves giant tennis balls, hockey sticks, baseball bats, and rollerblades. occasionally a basketball net.)
badminton-cube (badminton where you use the afromentioned cube of voleycube instead of a birdie. wheee!)
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Der amerikanische Steppenwolf

Post by Rogue_A »

Elementary and middle school had some of the WEIRDEST games to play.

"Garbage Dump": There were a bunch of foam balls around, and two sides. The team with the least amount of stuff on their side when time ran out won.
"Wizards": Eh....there are two teams. Each of them has a "wizard" equipped with these funnoodles as his magic wand thing. Basically a game of tag, but the only person who can untag you is your team's wizard....and if he gets tagged...dun dun dun, well, just don't get tagged yourself after that!. Then I think there was this modifier rule for the older grades where the wizard had to be back at his home base in 10 seconds or else he died...or maybe I'm mixing it up with another game.
"Metorites": OMG. Hide because foam balls will be flying at you from everywhere and if you get hit, you're dead. Dodgeball x10 because you've got tons of hyper children around and more than a couple of balls. In High School, there were less foam balls, replaced with foam balls that had a plastic "skin" on them, and the name got changed to "Knockout". No wonder the boys threw the balls so hard at ya.

Or....

Calvinball (I played this too, hehe!)
Pillowball
(hockey like game involving this stick with like a poofy cylinder shaped cushion thing for the blade part of the stick....)
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Certainly the oddest sport, or official sport that I've come across lately is sport stacking... definitly interesting to watch, but something I would never in a milllion years considered 'sport' worthy.

http://worldsportstackingassociation.org/index.htm
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Ahh yes...CALVINBALL...the greatest game ever invented. (...if you don't mind that it is impossible to win, and the game never really ends, that is...)

Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

we played a dodgeball variation called med- you had a 'doctor/ on your team who could heal you back into th game but only got 3 himts herself.

looks like calvinball gets the most awesome sprt award...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

My old school had a dodge-ball like game called bombardment. Which consisted of:
-2 teams, eich with their own side of the Gym
- A bunch of balls in the middle, which everyone runs to get at the begining
-Mats used for cover from the onslaught

Basically, Dodgeball with more room to manuver, cover, and alot more kids.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yay! New sport!

racing bicycles meant for 5-year-olds. W ehave this track marked in chalk and tape in the street out front, about ten feet wide, and 20 feet long. it's realy twisty. my brothers, 17, and 20, are racing our two small bicycles. they are both 2 feet long, and one and a half feet tall... it's hialrous. :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Ever watched MXC on SpikeTV?

Other than that... Well, the only thing that ever really came to mind was the first event Graham Chapman said he ever participated in with the Dangerous Sports Club. The concept is simple: Take any object you want and bolt it onto a pair of skis for preparation to be run down a really steep hill (usually with trees at the bottom). It can be anything you want, in his own words: "From a wheelchair to a grand piano -- bonus points for originality." The club originally wanted Graham to go down on an opperating table, but instead he ended up going down with somebody else in a wooden gondola.
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

Bactery and virus - two people are appointed as bactery and virus. Then you start running. If one of the aforementioned two touches you, you're sick and you can't move. One part of the area is 'hospital', into which friendly people can carry/drag the sick people. Once in the hospital, you're cured and you can start running again. No winners, no losers, no point, plenty of fun.

Rope dodgeball - same as dodgeball, but you're tied to another person with a six-foot rope. Gets really hectic when people get tangled in the ropes.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

I never did get speed stacking. Some of those other ones are pretty fun though. At my elementary school we had to juggle plastic grocery bags. I don't think anyone else does it so it's not a sport, but I thought it was kinda wierd :D
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

At one time, I used to take part in "Sibling Toss". This was years ago, and probably pretty dangerous, thinking back on it. The only other sport that I've done (outside of regular sports) is lawnmower racing.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

Extreme Ironing: http://www.extremeironing.com/
extreme ironing - the latest danger sport that combines the thrills of an extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well pressed shirt.
The wierdest...(but certainly the most fun) extreme sport ever invented..

and yes..i have played before... :D

edit: It is offically recognized as an extreme sport...go figure...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Kick the Can - Oh the fun!

King of the Hill...on Unicycles.

GoldFish Fighting - When I was little I used to always make my Goldfish crackers fight each other by holding on in each hand and ramming their heads together. The first one that breaks apart loses. I also used to make my dinosuar gummies fight, and because all they do is squish those were left to the creative mind and biting them. I introduced the game to my friends at the Round Llama Table and we had a blast. Often we game them silly names to go along with it and bet.

Keep your hand on the Stove - The person who keeps it there the longest wins! (done often with a stove that had been turned off for a little, or what ever hot thing you could find.)

Poke Fight - Two people would lock one of their hands together with another like they would a thumb war, but extedn their index finger. Both people are standing or sitting right infrount of each other. To win you have to poke the other person while a the same time the other person is trying to poke you, and your hands are held together.

Dollar Poker - You take the number on your dallor bill and play it as you would poker. Ofcource you can get different results though.

Dollar Ring - You and whoever else makes a ring out of a dallor. You put it on one person, that person may flex their hands or do what ever else they want to do with their hand. The last dallor on his hand wins.

Theres alot more but I can't think of them much right now. :D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Extreme Ironing: http://www.extremeironing.com/

Quote:
extreme ironing - the latest danger sport that combines the thrills of an extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well pressed shirt.

The wierdest...(but certainly the most fun) extreme sport ever invented..

and yes..i have played before...

edit: It is offically recognized as an extreme sport...go figure...

Wow, That's interesting :lol: . I'd have to say that's the wierdiest one I've seen so far too
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Unsportsmanlike conduct

Post by Scott Gardener »

George Carlin insisted that sailing wasn't a sport, since riding the bus wasn't a sport. Given how much athleticism goes into sailing, I'm inclined to disagree. But, I have wondered where one draws the line in defining a sport. Generally, I have considered a "sport" to be an event in which two or more athletes or teams of athletes compete to accomplish a goal in a strenuous physical activity.

Thoroughbred horse racing is a sport, but the athletes are equines. Granted, jockeys have to be fit and well-trained as well; not just anyone can get on a race horse, even a champion, and expect to win.

NASCAR racing, hmm... Again, you have to be a skilled driver, and those cars are not air-conditioned. Still, it's more and more a technical skill rather than sheer brute force.

Chess? Not a sport. It can be a competition, but not a sport. Weirdly enough, you can still be unsportsmanlike if you lose. (My sister would often times resign from a game by wiping all the pieces off. I'd annoy her in response by putting them all back on, in the same position. Obsessive-compulsive disorder is the only mental illness that can be fun.) Same goes for Magic: the Gathering, ESPN 2 airtime notwithstanding.

Golf? Toughie. It's mostly technical skill; most of the athletics involved is on the part of the caddie, hauling all those extra sticks. (I'm one of the few doctors on the planet who doesn't get golf, but then again, I haven't entirely forgiven the PGA for all those episodes of Werewolf that were pre-empted on USA back in 1989 in order to show golf tournaments.)

Then, there are things that shouldn't be sport, but are.

Tae Kwon Do should be a martial art, a way of life. Football shouldn't be a way of life, but for a lot of people, it is. But, Tae Kwon Do is supposed to be a way of life. None-the-less, it's also turned into a sport. Still, it's a fun one, and since I've got a few trophies myself, it would be most disrespectful to knock this turn of its evolution. I have yet to see Aikido made into a sport, and I'd be curious to see how competative Tae Chi meditation would be played. "It's Chow Tsung in the lead, with his Zen-like trance, but... Oh! A major upset! Tae Huong has found enlightenment! Goal!!!!!"

(And, when I say "football" I mean the one with the oblong ball, that's kind of like rugby, only a lot more expensive. I know that most people everywhere besides in the U.S. use the word "football" to mean the sport where people kick around the ball that a buckminsterfullerine looks like. We in the Big Mac and fries part of the world call that soccer.)

Bicycling: sport. Sled-dog racing: sport. VCR programming: not a sport.

I'm just waiting for the day that the committee in charge of Alaska's Iditerod rules that the sled dogs have to be dogs, not lycanthropes in lupine form.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Unsportsmanlike conduct

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:NASCAR racing, hmm... Again, you have to be a skilled driver, and those cars are not air-conditioned. Still, it's more and more a technical skill rather than sheer brute force.
NASCAR has no right being compared to European track racing -- there's a big difference between a legitimate track and an oval. It is a sport when you have to watch every individual turn, but the only reason NASCAR in it's familiar oval form still exists is because Marlboro can't advertise anywhere else (that's all it is: eighty corporate logos zooming by every thirty-five seconds).

Granted, the engines get so hot that a driver can lose up to ten pounds before he crosses the finish line, but if he can put them back on before the next race, I don't think it should count for much. :P

And I definitely have to agree with you on Football, and the fact that the Patriots are a three-time superbowl team has the absolute least to do with it. On top of it being a team sport with little room for one-man armies, the league has been aranged in such a way that monopolies like the ones in Baseball and Basketball are impossible. Every season is unlike any other (who would've thought the Bengals would ever be 4-0?).

And another thing American Football has over European Football: killing a referee is murder, not spectator participation.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:Golf? Toughie. It's mostly technical skill; most of the athletics involved is on the part of the caddie, hauling all those extra sticks.
WTF Image

...golf not a sport? Have you swung a golf club lately? Do you have any idea what kind of physical conditioning it takes to drive a ball 300 yards?

I can understand the Nascar issue (I'm not sure if I would really consider auto racing to be a "sport" in the same way baseball is a sport either), but GOLF?

"Mostly technical skill"my @#%... Only in the same way throwing an american Football with the proper spin and angle, or throwing a curve ball in a Baseball game requires "technical" skill...but both would be duds without the physical strenght behind it.

Golf is just more focused on a single motion than a more brutal sport like Rugby. ...but it is definately a SPORT.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:Golf? Toughie. It's mostly technical skill; most of the athletics involved is on the part of the caddie, hauling all those extra sticks.
WTF Image

...golf not a sport? Have you swung a golf club lately? Do you have any idea what kind of physical conditioning it takes to drive a ball 300 yards?

I can understand the Nascar issue (I'm not sure if I would really consider auto racing to be a "sport" in the same way baseball is a sport either), but GOLF?

"Mostly technical skill"my @#%... Only in the same way throwing an american Football with the proper spin and angle, or throwing a curve ball in a Baseball game requires "technical" skill...but both would be duds without the physical strenght behind it.

Golf is just more focused on a single motion than a more brutal sport like Rugby. ...but it is definately a SPORT.

I tried playing golf.

I'm really good at slicing and hooking that golf ball!! :o
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Golf is infinetly more fun when it's a contact sport. :roflmao:
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Shadowblaze wrote:Golf is infinetly more fun when it's a contact sport. :roflmao:
I would love to see that! :lol:

I've never really tried golf, the only time I've swung a club I dug a six inch deep hole. :lol: (it was at school) I don't know what kind of conditioning is required, but I'd classify that as a sport.