Body sounds during a transformation.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Snap-Crackle-Pop :wink:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think the bodysounds in Underworld are pretty scary/realistic.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Actually, I'd prefer not to switch from outside to inside of the werewolf's ribcage when the werewolf transforms.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I'm going to imaging some cracking ands popping as bones change and the body forms, yet I just don't want to imagine it. Yes, a werewolf is going to create sounds during a shift, whether it be the changing or their mouning if they're new, but please, lets not put too much in Freeborn.
:shudder:

I would expect hair to make a soft rustle but thats it.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:I'm going to imaging some cracking ands popping as bones change and the body forms, yet I just don't want to imagine it. Yes, a werewolf is going to create sounds during a shift, whether it be the changing or their mouning if they're new, but please, lets not put too much in Freeborn.
:shudder:

I would expect hair to make a soft rustle but thats it.
What about the body sounding like someone ripping a chicken in half?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I can snap and crackle in real life, and often do when I'm yawning and stretching. (So far, no one has made the connection between it and my lycanthropy obsession, even though I'm not intentionally mimicing shape-shifting.) I've pictured in my mind a similar phenomenon in the real thing, but nothing over-the-top.

It should not be louder than about 20-30 decibels, or the sound level of the quiet fan or kitchen appliance that you notice when it shuts off. Now, the inhuman hollering and screaming, that's going to be up there at least in the 80s or 90s, and will drown out any other sound, except, ironically, to the shifter himself, and the lady who bit him.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

Apokryltaros wrote:Actually, I'd prefer not to switch from outside to inside of the werewolf's ribcage when the werewolf transforms.
No, but I was pointing at the sound.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

I always imaged the loudest sound to, indeed, come from the skull. I think that it may also be one of the sounds that happens mid-way through TF. As the snout begins to form, it might happen in short bursts as the bone gives way to the new tissue. Any solid material such as bone wont shift smoothly and continuously. Like earthquakes, two plates have to build up pressure before sliding. Each burst of growth from the muzzle area would inevitably sound like a stick smaking on a wet, mushy and hollow log so hard that a muffled crack can echo across the walls of a room. So yes, this may be the most violent part of a TF, both in how it feels, looks, and... sounds.

That's just my two-cent vision of the situation.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

I belive that the movie AWWIL was right on the money with the sound FX of all the popping and cracking. Ohhhh how i love that transformation. :shift: :shift:
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

howlbigbadwolf wrote:I belive that the movie AWWIL was right on the money with the sound FX of all the popping and cracking. Ohhhh how i love that transformation. :shift: :shift:

I get that same sound when I pour milk into a bowl of Rice Krispies. :grinp:
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

lol, Rice Krispies!
lck
Anyway, i think there would be some poping and cracking sounds but not any snapping sounds. Snapping, to me, means breaking and I don't think bones break during transformation.
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

I think sound is required.

I agree that some of the eighties movies overdid some of the, as Figarou puts it, "Toilet bowl flushes." But, the sound is part of the horror of transformation. All is lost on me for transformations of the old 50's movies. The lap dissolve method where a guy just holds still while the film dissolves from one section of film to the next. Yeah, not horrorific and not really doin' it for me.

Although, as a child of the seventies and eighties versus the fifties, I cannot be horrorfied by the old creature features or Universal monster flicks. I can testify to the true fear that my parents recall having seen these movies. Today, we would laugh and mock.
"Ignorance is Bliss to those Uneducated" -Nick Hexum of 311

Please don't shoot me!!
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I would forsee more popping sounds than anything else, after all if the bones break then they need to mend in addition to transforming, but popping can happen with muscles, tendens, and cartlidge.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Zockereinstein
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dancing with machines.

Sounds

Post by Zockereinstein »

Well, usually we pay more attention to images... but the sound is an important part of any performance (ok, not for mimic). Even being something artificial, the cracking and moving sounds from the older movies were, in many cases, the best of the transformation scene. And for most of the werewolf film-fans they are definitely associated with the change.
About the music, it should be not too hard or loud... or best of all, perhaps it would go fantastic with no music at all.
Echo!!....
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

There should be sounds like someone's back being thoroughly clicked. Lots of popping and dislocating of joints. The hair should make a quiet rustle and possibly also (I don't know how to really describe it) the sound you hear when someone tears a muscle severely.
Eat more tobasco.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

All of the above are OK, but not too much sound. I would like to to be mostly quiet with the occasional sound. Maybe background noises, like a dog barking outside or the clock ticking.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Syzygy wrote:There should be sounds like someone's back being thoroughly clicked. Lots of popping and dislocating of joints. The hair should make a quiet rustle and possibly also (I don't know how to really describe it) the sound you hear when someone tears a muscle severely.
That'll work in a close up shot. I just hope its not overdone. (Being to noisy.)
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

Scott Gardener wrote: It should not be louder than about 20-30 decibels, or the sound level of the quiet fan or kitchen appliance that you notice when it shuts off. Now, the inhuman hollering and screaming, that's going to be up there at least in the 80s or 90s, and will drown out any other sound, except, ironically, to the shifter himself, and the lady who bit him.
That sounds good to me. Maybe a small groan only once though otherwise it goes over the top and into the deep end. I know it has nothing to do with sound but a few tears would look interesting too.

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

I agree with most of the snap sounds everyones suggesting, and the fur sounds :)

And i also agree with the no music part, a TF scene would be chillingly awesome without any music :D

Laters
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

You would think that a TF would also alter the inner-body organs a bit. The twisting of the body may even jerk around the intestines, and squeeze out a few farts. I'm totally serious.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora