Powers in Human Form

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Huntress
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: I am the one that chose my fate, i feel the anger changing me...

Powers in Human Form

Post by Huntress »

I jst wanted to kno wat u guys think the powers should be while there in human form, like the hightened senses, how strong should they be, should they run fast should they be able to jump as high as a 2 or 3 story building, should they be able to jump from a 4 or 5 story building without dying or breaking any bones. i jst want ur ideas oh and if this has been posted before i'm sorry.
There's a soul howling for freedom...can u hear it?

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The most probable ability they'd have in Smooth would be the ability to really argue against the existence of Werewolves, armed with every possible source of proof of their non-existence (the result of much research). This would be a primary self-preservation capability.
They might have a somewhat heightened sense of smell, as well as accelerated healing capacity (faster than Human, slower than Gestalt).
As for strength; Were's are a very athletic sort, some of the increased strength might come through. It would be limited to the biological "leftovers" from the Shift.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

powers? How about saying "abilities" instead of "powers."

You make it sound like its some sort of "super hero" thing.

And I agree with Redeye. :D
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

But... won't they be able call upon Greyskull?
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I'd say, ability to be about three times stronger at least than their apperance would let on. Ability to tap in some strength, with out fully transforming given the right emotional motivation. Like takeing it to the edge but not going over, with practice anyways.
Some hightened senses, but while the glands or what not are hightened the physical limitations of human sized ears and nose would limit how far this goes.

Stamina would be a big one I would think, along with faster healing and better immune system and better resistance (but not immune to various toxins and such) After all weight for weight the amount of morphine it would take to make a dog sleep would kill a human.

and with practice the amazing ability to convince others that such creatures don't exist except in folklore and quikly find those claiming to be werewolves for attention and use them as proof that such things can't exist with strange thesaurus level arguments that should only be seen in court houses.

I would imagine in human form, some may even possess some shamantic powers and such, depending on what kind of werewolf they are. After all transformation is one hell of a spell to pull off, going either way as the primary form.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

mabie slightly hightened senses, but mostly just instincts/habits would persist. (IMO)
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

Ya I would like th ability to tap in to diffrent powers at will if i wanted to like sight, smell, strenth, stamana, hearing, and healing. mabe like the ability to tap in to like lets see.....25% of full powers and the ability to shift in to a 50% tranformation form you know pritty hairy with my face and body formed to look like a half transformed werewolf. Then to take it all the way be fully transformed. :shift:
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
Zockereinstein
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dancing with machines.

Powers??

Post by Zockereinstein »

I prefer not to consider a werewolf as a superhero... I find flash or spiderman much more interesting in that way.
But redirecting the direction of this thread, a werewolf in human form shouldn't be stronger or better in any way. Well, it's just an opinion, but the "superpowers" would ruin the atmosphere of the film.
Echo!!....
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Considering the incredible things Lycanthropy does to a human body, it would make sense to me for there to be some marginal but noticable change in the persons everyday physical status.

...but not 'superhuman' strength. More like, the difference you would experience from working out and building up your stamina and strength an extra 20-minutes a day every day...even if you don't work out at all.

You would feel different (and maybe look a little more fit)...but likely only you would really notice the difference at first, and only for a little while untill it becomes the new 'normal' for you.

If the fully transformed state has significantly enhanced senses, I feel about half and half about retaining some of them in human form. If so, I think, and prefer, that they would be significantly reduced, but still just enough to be unusual. However, having the human senses remain normal makes the addition of the enhanced senses while transformed more significant.

My feeling about "powers" in human form right now tell me that, If the werewolf has too much of thier power in human form, there is less and less reason for transforming at all...and where is the fun and exitement in that?

(Slightly Off Topic ... I still am more partial to stories where the drama comes from when the werewolf has to react to and gets in to trouble because of thier irrepressable need to transform, rather than the convinient 'super-ability' of transformation being their method of choice for getting out of trouble, like a SuperHero with a "secret identity". ...but that's just me...)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

All the japanese animu logic gets left out... :<

When you think superman, i think Vincent Valentine.
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

I don't think they should have any amazing abilities in human form, only minor improvements.

Heightened smell and hearing would be the biggest bonus (IMO) and then better reflexes and more endurance.
Eat more tobasco.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:All the japanese animu logic gets left out... :<

Powerful like Superman when Transformed, and impossibly quick and agile like Vincent in human form?

See...I don't like that at all. Unless the werewolf exists in a universe where people with natural abilities like Vincent exist, that is just WAAAAYY too powerful.

...on the other hand. If it IS that kind of universe, where mortal human gunslingers can leap off the roof of a 5-story building and hit targets with pin-point accuracy at 200 yards, mid-backflip, and then reload and start firing again before they hit the ground without so much as spraining thier ankle...
(thats "Anime Logic" for ya'...)
...then it would only be logical for Werewolves to have a pool of abilities that would make the entire 'Justice League' cringe.

Which is cool and all...but I'd really like to see a few more "down to earth" werewolf stories done before turning around and taking everything off the deep end like that.

IMHO
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Vuldari wrote:
kitetsu wrote:All the japanese animu logic gets left out... :<

Powerful like Superman when Transformed, and impossibly quick and agile like Vincent in human form?

See...I don't like that at all. Unless the werewolf exists in a universe where people with natural abilities like Vincent exist, that is just WAAAAYY too powerful.

...on the other hand. If it IS that kind of universe, where mortal human gunslingers can leap off the roof of a 5-story building and hit targets with pin-point accuracy at 200 yards, mid-backflip, and then reload and start firing again before they hit the ground without so much as spraining thier ankle...
(thats "Anime Logic" for ya'...)
...then it would only be logical for Werewolves to have a pool of abilities that would make the entire 'Justice League' cringe.

Which is cool and all...but I'd really like to see a few more "down to earth" werewolf stories done before turning around and taking everything off the deep end like that.

IMHO
"Down to earth stories" doesn't necessarily mean no powers at all. See, the way i see it, a superlifeform that can copy everything Vince does can still date a normal lifeform, get a job, get a scholarship, get high, get laid, get rich, get anything... so long as the superlifeform doesn't act like an idiot and attract unwanted attention, or even die from salmonella. See, if one is an anomaly on the account of being above-average in capabilities, saying that that one anomaly NEEDS to live a superhero life with all the crimefighting and all that stupid crap, wearing the whole spandex+underwear+cape+mask, and thinking that it should also apply to "down to earth" scenarios, is... damn, pretty assinine.

And that brings me to another thing. And i'm surprised no one has brought this up:

If someone is capable of being Vincent Valentine, that someone doesn't just act out in the open to whatever deeds or misdeeds might come to it, gunslinging, matrix-jumping, and releasing whatever limit-break that someone has, IN. REAL. LIFE.

If someone did such a thing, that someone would be first arrested, sent to jail and then to court, with massive media floods and sadomasochistic paparazzi blitzing cameras like an epileptic, get criticised/persecuted/threatened by anti-superlifeformers, Jack Thompson, some philanthropist, a psychologist, the Vatican, and every other extremist religious factions while becoming a topic of debate between them and extra-terrestrial buffs, occultists, DnD masters, otaku from around the world, and furries, become an internet meme from imageboard websites such as 4chan, 2chan, wtfux, etc, get parodied in Flashes, get a horrible Uwe-Boll-directed movie based directly on that someone's actually non-existant love life, and be forgotten overtime. Or get famous. Or become INfamous by getting enlisted in federal blacklists.

NOT get kidnapped by mad scientists, and then brainwashed into "mindless weapons" to serve "evil". If anyone insists that's what happens, i would personally feel sorry for that anyone for believing in a pipe dream of pipe dreams.

And this is pretty much by common sense, and what little i know of what people have done in the past.

So to sum it up: I thinks that superlifeforms aren't restricted to just one lifestyle, because "down to earth" is a pretty broad phrase. And to me, the biggest definition of the phrase is the equivalent to "go by the flow".

Wow, way to give an example of incoherent speech. I think i overlooked a lot of things in this wall of text. :duckbomb2:

This is why i need to stop talking and produce visual comments instead, since that's the only thing i do best... :ducktoss3:
Last edited by JoshuaMadoc on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

definately instincts, and scences :D
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Wow...Im sorry but this is the first thread that I am to lazy to read what everyone actually said. Theres just so much of it! :D

But I think definatly a few powers. You know...slightly hightened senses and better agility. Nothing crazy, but a little enhanced.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:"Down to earth stories" doesn't necessarily mean no powers at all. See, the way i see it, a superlifeform that can copy everything Vince does can still date a normal lifeform, get a job, get a scholarship, get high, get laid, get rich, get anything... so long as the superlifeform doesn't act like an idiot and attract unwanted attention, or even die from salmonella. See, if one is an anomaly on the account of being above-average in capabilities, saying that that one anomaly NEEDS to live a superhero life with all the crimefighting and all that stupid crap, wearing the whole spandex+underwear+cape+mask, and thinking that it should also apply to "down to earth" scenarios, is... damn, pretty assinine.

And that brings me to another thing. And i'm surprised no one has brought this up:

If someone is capable of being Vincent Valentine, that someone doesn't just act out in the open to whatever deeds or misdeeds might come to it, gunslinging, matrix-jumping, and releasing whatever limit-break that someone has, IN. REAL. LIFE.

If someone did such a thing, that someone would be first arrested, sent to jail and then to court, with massive media floods and sadomasochistic paparazzi blitzing cameras like an epileptic, get criticised/persecuted/threatened by anti-superlifeformers, Jack Thompson, some philanthropist, a psychologist, the Vatican, and every other extremist religious factions while becoming a topic of debate between them and extra-terrestrial buffs, occultists, DnD masters, otaku from around the world, and furries, become an internet meme from imageboard websites such as 4chan, 2chan, wtfux, etc, get parodied in Flashes, get a horrible Uwe-Boll-directed movie based directly on that someone's actually non-existant love life, and be forgotten overtime. Or get famous. Or become INfamous by getting enlisted in federal blacklists.

NOT get kidnapped by mad scientists, and then brainwashed into "mindless weapons" to serve "evil". If anyone insists that's what happens, i would personally feel sorry for that anyone for believing in a pipe dream of pipe dreams.

And this is pretty much by common sense, and what little i know of what people have done in the past.

So to sum it up: I thinks that superlifeforms aren't restricted to just one lifestyle, because "down to earth" is a pretty broad phrase. And to me, the biggest definition of the phrase is the equivalent to "go by the flow".

Wow, way to give an example of incoherent speech. I think i overlooked a lot of things in this wall of text. :duckbomb2:

This is why i need to stop talking and produce visual comments instead, since that's the only thing i do best... :ducktoss3:

Scenario #1: The 'Uber' character in question is the only one around with abilities at that magnatude. The result being...they are in a league so far above the rest of the world they are essentially invincible.

Any and all moments of danger and acts of aggression against this character will allways be dealt with with such rediculous ease that there will never, ever, ever be any conflicts or situations that would be considered "Serious" or even seem to matter, as the Low-Key "Hero" in question would allways be certain to win, and likely be able to do it in a single quick action before anyone even noticed he was in danger.

I HATE 'God' characters like that.

I see nothing attractive or entertaining about reading a story about a seemingly immortal, mortal-god like character who does nothing more exiting than have obnoxious sitcom dramas with his girlfriend, or boss at his boring office job, where any and all conflicts related to his unique 'condition' would be about never using it, or never having any doubt about how easily he is going to win.

(Unless it is a "Comedy"...in which case, the sheer 'Absurdity' of the situation would be the Point, and a source of great laughs.)

Scenario #2: There ARE other people around that have this outragious level of skill and power.

Fact: Human beings consistantly show a love for power, and are known througout history to be easily corrupted by it. No normal person would be able to resist using such strengths if they had them at thier disposal. Real people don't typically show that kind of self-controll.

If people like that were around, you can be certain that they would be using said abilities. (not neccesarily wearing spandex and rescuing babies from burning buildings or trying to take over the world...just self indulgant "get what I want" stuff) Thus, the world would be aware that such people exist, and would be on the lookout for them. IMHO 'Secret Identities' are simply not possible outside of comic-book style anti-realities. People would find out.

Real Drama requires vunerable characters. Either the protagonist needs to be vunerable to the normal characters around him/her, or the protagonists rivals/aggresors/aggrivators must be and act at a level significant to them.

What kind of story are you suggesting you want to see in which you have a character with SuperHuman abilites that are never used? What would the story be about then? Just because at thing is technically possible, does not make it advisable or make any sense.

What is so assinine about expecting and preferring stories about powerful characters to involve them using thier unique abilities in an exiting manner?

I'm saying...for a story like this to work, either they DO have that kind of ability and use it, or they DON'T have that kind of power, and have more plausable "Down To Earth" adventures instead.

To sum up my opinion...

The Scenario for any good story (be it a Movie, a Comic Book, a TV Sitcom, a Novel or a campfire legend), needs to have a 'Point' and a 'mood'.

...comedy...thriller...drama...fantasy...action...horror...mystery...supsense...

or some combination thereof.

You need to make up your mind what your story/scenario is about. Otherwise, it's just...'pointless'.

------------------------------------------

[EDIT:] Once more, to clarify what I am saying.

I really feel that one must make up thier mind about what kind of story they are writing. If you want to make the story about characters with super-duper crazy abilities, then make the story about them USING those abilities.

If you want to make a good "Down To Earth" story, you really need to make the characters significantly less "uber" if thier subsiquent restraint about using what extrordinary abilities they do have is to make a believable amount of sense.
(Not NO abilities...merely more 'reasonable' ones.)

If you really think that you could write a sensable story about someone as freakishly aglile and talented as Vincent Valentine in a "Down To Earth" plot, then write it and proove me wrong. I love a good story.

...but, for the time being, the suggestion feels like sheer "Nonsense" to me. I humbly disagree about the notion that it can be done that way, with any admirable result.

=^.^'= ~
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

a werewolf should in my opinion reflect the limitations of the universe in which it comes.

If its a world were people can hardly jump two feet off(above not length) the ground(at a run and be athletic to pull it off) and lift a quarter of their own weight on average (like our universe). then a werewolf would be like a human sized predator, maybe even weaker than a bear.

But in some anime universes were even a little girl can carry a large mallet or throw a vase her own size at some one, and most people seem able to survive explosions that throw them a good ten to twenty feet with only minor bruises and burns then a werewolf should be able to jump over houses and throw cars around.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Rhuen wrote:a werewolf should in my opinion reflect the limitations of the universe in which it comes.

If its a world were people can hardly jump two feet off(above not length) the ground(at a run and be athletic to pull it off) and lift a quarter of their own weight on average (like our universe). then a werewolf would be like a human sized predator, maybe even weaker than a bear.

But in some anime universes were even a little girl can carry a large mallet or throw a vase her own size at some one, and most people seem able to survive explosions that throw them a good ten to twenty feet with only minor bruises and burns then a werewolf should be able to jump over houses and throw cars around.
Exactly. I agree with Rhuen...the character should fit within the world it exists in.

If in that world, people 'CAN'... I think people should and 'WILL'.

I think "Down to Earth" Dramas ,(Which I feel there are not enough of, and would like to see), would work much better in worlds where they Can't.
(...at least not to such extremes...)

As allways...IMHO.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Vuldari wrote:Scenario #1: The 'Uber' character in question is the only one around with abilities at that magnatude. The result being...they are in a league so far above the rest of the world they are essentially invincible.

Any and all moments of danger and acts of aggression against this character will allways be dealt with with such rediculous ease that there will never, ever, ever be any conflicts or situations that would be considered "Serious" or even seem to matter, as the Low-Key "Hero" in question would allways be certain to win, and likely be able to do it in a single quick action before anyone even noticed he was in danger.

I HATE 'God' characters like that.
That's why i was outraged.

Scenario #2: There ARE other people around that have this outragious level of skill and power.

Fact: Human beings consistantly show a love for power, and are known througout history to be easily corrupted by it. No normal person would be able to resist using such strengths if they had them at thier disposal. Real people don't typically show that kind of self-controll.

If people like that were around, you can be certain that they would be using said abilities. (not neccesarily wearing spandex and rescuing babies from burning buildings or trying to take over the world...just self indulgant "get what I want" stuff) Thus, the world would be aware that such people exist, and would be on the lookout for them. IMHO 'Secret Identities' are simply not possible outside of comic-book style anti-realities. People would find out.
You're repeating my point.

Real Drama requires vunerable characters. Either the protagonist needs to be vunerable to the normal characters around him/her, or the protagonists rivals/aggresors/aggrivators must be and act at a level significant to them.

What kind of story are you suggesting you want to see in which you have a character with SuperHuman abilites that are never used? What would the story be about then? Just because at thing is technically possible, does not make it advisable or make any sense.
This.
What is so assinine about expecting and preferring stories about powerful characters to involve them using thier unique abilities in an exiting manner?
Um, the fact that it's often portrayed in comic books as ONE-DIMENSIONAL? In case people haven't noticed, it still is in today's stories, which involve child support issues and pre-teen dating.
I'm saying...for a story like this to work, either they DO have that kind of ability and use it, or they DON'T have that kind of power, and have more plausable "Down To Earth" adventures instead.
What makes you think there's no room for both? You're being pretty restrictive.
If you really think that you could write a sensable story about someone as freakishly aglile and talented as Vincent Valentine in a "Down To Earth" plot, then write it and proove me wrong. I love a good story.
I personally will. In 30 years.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I think the human form would have slightly increased stuff, but only ever so slightly.

Wolves have a big nose and a part of the brain dedicated to olfactory senses more heavily than ours. Your doctor might notice your brain changed for some reason and your olfactory info processing center is way larger than it should be, if the sense of smell is heightened to wolfish levels. Not to mention space issues.

Similarly, I don't expect much in the way of the human form being too physically enhanced. You won't get a six-pack over night, but if you shift and run around enough you'll be great.

The human form's the sheep-skin, the form most suited to survival in human society and able to use human inventions with the most ease. Unless you've got a gun or other weapon on hand, you want to go Gestalt or Wolf for combat scenarios as the human form will only provide you marginally better strength than you originally had.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:That's why i was outraged.
You're repeating my point.
Hunh?
kitetsu wrote:This.
I've seen that show. It's absolutely silly and completely ignores all conventions of reality whenever and wherever it is funny to do so.

I like that show.

...but why are you bringing up a series as unrealistic as Azumanga Daioh?

That seems a strange choice as a response to my suggestions for what I think is required for more "Down To Earth" dramas...of which AZMD is anything but.
kitetsu wrote:Um, the fact that it's often portrayed in comic books as ONE-DIMENSIONAL? In case people haven't noticed, it still is in today's stories, which involve child support issues and pre-teen dating.

What makes you think there's no room for both? You're being pretty restrictive.
It is those kinds of scenarios in many comic books and japanise manga that I am saying I am getting currently tired of, and am saying that I personally would like to see some stories that give the over-the-top stuff a rest and focus more on things normal people can relate with instead for a while.

Stories about characters who fight in Epic Superhuman Battles (or show that they easily could if they wanted to) on one page and have teen dramas about the Prom on the next feel absurd to me. Some flavors just don't mix well.

Yes...stories can be written that way.

However, I think that there is a whole range of more realistic emotions and drama that become much more difficult to take seriously when the characters are just too "Unreal".

...all I am saying is that I personally would like to see a few more stories where the characters are NOT the most powerful beings in the world for a change.

Never and nowhere have I been saying that I don't think silly and outragious stories and characters should still be made ALSO.

----------------------------------------------

Reality Slider:

OutRagious Crazy Fun
... _ Dragon Ball Z - Azumanga Daioh - Marvel - DC
../
|
| <----- Vincent Valentine
|
|
|
|

.} - (Average Threshold of Suspended-belief)
| <----- Image
|
|
|
|
|

..\_
............ Personal Biography
Stark Reality

----------------------------------------------

I like variety. I want to see stories created on every level of this scale.

As a matter of personal perseption and preference only, I was trying to explain that for the type of drama I most hunger to see right now, I feel the presence of such overwhelming strength and agility in the characters would interfere with the impact and relevance of the normal mortal concerns and fear I think the characters should feel.

I just really like stories and characters that I can take at least somewhat seriously.

That is all I have been saying from the beginning. "I like this more, and I like that less, and here are some reasons why."

I think I know what you are trying to say. You are saying that you think someone could be as powerful as Vincent, but live a normal life and not get involved in superhero/supervillain-like activities, and that someone could write a story about that.

I do not dispute that.

What I AM saying is that I think the story would be much easier to accept, and the emotions of the characters would be much more believable and easier to feel genuine empathy for if thier abilities remained at a level restricted to only what real humans and wolves are capable of.
(Excluding the act of Transforming, naturally.)

"Empathy" I think is the key word. I think that making the characters too powerful harms the ability of the audience to really feel strong, significant empathy for them.

=^.^'= ~
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

To be honest, having a really good sense of smell wouldn't be too good in this society ...

:lol:
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Kirk Hammett wrote:To be honest, having a really good sense of smell wouldn't be too good in this society ...

:lol:
You're telling me. I cant walk through the mall without my nose being assaulted by all those perfume sprayers! I cant imagine how much worse it would be if my nose worked even better!
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

Yeah...I appear to have something called "hypersensorianism" (at least, that's what I call it...) and all my senses are through the roof.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Nothing wrong with "powers". Some people react to the word as if it somehow "lessens" the nobility of a werewolf and turns them into a superhero.

I would want the power to..........glare people to death. :}