Elections! Get registered and vote!

The place for anything at all...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

So jazzed. Well, so relieved, anyway. They kept saying "Divided government," but I'm seeing "balanced." The Rubber-stamp Congress is HISTORY and that's good news for everyone.

I think my blood pressure dove about seven points tonight :)
ImageImageImageImage
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

dem. control the house 227 to 189 there are about 18 undecided i think
the senate is tied 49 and 49, Virgina and Montana are still deciding
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Montana decided. Burns is SO OUTTA THERE.

I could comment further but I'll honour Renorei's request that we keep this non-political.
ImageImageImageImage
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

:D Much appreciated.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

So who wins?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Last I heard, the Democrats had taken over as majority party in the House of Representatives, and it was very likely that they might take over the Senate as well (I haven't watched the news all day, so I don't know where they stand on the Senate at the moment).

Though this really isn't that good of news...more than likely a Democrat will win in '08 because Bush has given the Republicans a bad name. :( And history has pretty much always shown that when the government is dominated by one party, it's mostly disaster.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

It's down to Virginia. The Dem is ahead by less than .5% but they're still counting ballots. They expect to be finished with that by the end of today. CNN says that the Dems have taken 50 seats to the Repubs' 49, MSNBC says that the Dems have 48 seats, Repubs 49.

I heard Nancy Pelosi, the incoming Speaker of the House, on C-SPAN. She talked about what the House Majority are pushing for in the first 100 hours, and they're going to focus on Iraq strategy first, then health care and research and then Social Security.
ImageImageImageImage
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Virginia is close enough that a recount is inevitable regardless of who wins the first count. But, ultimately, I suspect we'll soon have a Democratic Congress over here very soon.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

The Oregon Congress tipped very decidedly to the Democrats, and we kept our (Democrat) Governor. There was round after round of applause at the Election Party at the fairgrounds last night; it just astounded me that Progressives were sweeping everywhere and winning by landslides. Does that send a message or what?! :D
ImageImageImageImage
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

we wont see who winning virgina yet, casue after all the votes are done and they ar still close to 1% only differnt then theres a recount issued on nov.24 and if that happens we wont know who is senater untel end of december
they're going to focus on Iraq strategy first,

i dont know about you guys but im worryed what the dem. are going to do
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Actually I'm more concerned about the homefront. The troops in Iraq are trained to deal with the situation they're in, but I'm visualizing a lot of head-butting, acrimony and sabre-rattling on Capitol Hill over the next two years. Bush and Pelosi are very carefully trying to parlay but we know they hate each others' guts.
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I hope the this country isnt compeltly runned by democrats, I like everything to be equal. Damn bush has to be such an idiot and give the republicans a bad name. Honestly though, is there anyone who hasn't seen this coming? We all pretty much new the democrats are gonna conquer the next election. but yeah I still like the republicans to remain in power aswell. they all have their pros and cons and they can weigh each other out.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Admittedly so, we've all seen what a one-party system can do, and not just here. What cracks me up is that the Dems have become what the GOP used to be: the party that looks out for the People. Political parties tend to flip-flop every eighty years or so.

Google on "Tammany Tigers" and hold onto your hats...a hundred years ago, the Dems were <i>against</i> civil rights! I'm sure the scuttlebutt about Barack Obama going for the Dem ticket in 2008 is making Boss Tweed roll in his grave.
ImageImageImageImage
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

vrikasatma wrote:Admittedly so, we've all seen what a one-party system can do, and not just here. What cracks me up is that the Dems have become what the GOP used to be: the party that looks out for the People. Political parties tend to flip-flop every eighty years or so.

Google on "Tammany Tigers" and hold onto your hats...a hundred years ago, the Dems were <i>against</i> civil rights! I'm sure the scuttlebutt about Barack Obama going for the Dem ticket in 2008 is making Boss Tweed roll in his grave.
yup its called the Civil war :drillsgt:
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Actually, I was referring to history more recent than that, but you're right. The Confederates were Dems, the Union were Repubs. Which doesn't explain why they're referred to as "Red" in politics these days, but like I said about parties flip-flopping every 80 years or so...

Update: the Dems have taken the Senate, as of 30 minutes ago.

And with that, I'm going to sign out of this topic and stop watching it. It's VSOP time, friends :)
ImageImageImageImage
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

i'm bummed. prop 1 here in idaho didn't pass. i wanted another 1 percent added to my sales tax so that schools could get more money. dang.Image
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com