Werewolf Urban Legends

The place for anything at all...

Have you personally heard any werewolf urban legends?

Yes
29%
No
64%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
7%

Total votes: 28

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Jamie wrote:
RedEye wrote:Out here in the Los Angeles area, I have heard repeated claims of Were's being sighted in Griffith Park (A Huge Park).
It's a Park that is completely surrounded by some City or other; L.A., Burbank, Glendale... and has residential areas connecting directly with the park, so it would fit the Accessability requirement. It's closed after 10:00 at night, as in you just can't go in; the roads are blocked. That fits the Security requirement. There are lots of trees that give Top-cover, even the HeliCOPters can't see the ground in a lot of areas.
Not surprisingly, several "sightings" were from the Air of a Bi-Pedal, Fur covered, creature that, when facing the lights of the 'Copter, looked like a large Dog standing upright, shading its eyes from the light. (It helps to know a few L.A.Cops) With an area population of nearly two million people...
Of Course, they don't exist, even if they do... :wink:
Is this by any chance the Van Nuys werewolf? The one that has also been nicknamed "the homeless guy" by students at Cal State Northridge?
Unsure: The descriptions I've heard specify a Caind Bi-ped; He (sheath) even showed up on their Infra-red scanner (FLIR) at something like 10x maginfication (that's where the sheath comment came from). At least one Air cop thinks Werewolves are real...and agrees that even if they really exist, they don't.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Apparently I am out of this loop. What are all you talking about?
and where can I find data on the subject?
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

RedEye wrote:
Jamie wrote:
RedEye wrote:Out here in the Los Angeles area, I have heard repeated claims of Were's being sighted in Griffith Park (A Huge Park).
It's a Park that is completely surrounded by some City or other; L.A., Burbank, Glendale... and has residential areas connecting directly with the park, so it would fit the Accessability requirement. It's closed after 10:00 at night, as in you just can't go in; the roads are blocked. That fits the Security requirement. There are lots of trees that give Top-cover, even the HeliCOPters can't see the ground in a lot of areas.
Not surprisingly, several "sightings" were from the Air of a Bi-Pedal, Fur covered, creature that, when facing the lights of the 'Copter, looked like a large Dog standing upright, shading its eyes from the light. (It helps to know a few L.A.Cops) With an area population of nearly two million people...
Is this by any chance the Van Nuys werewolf? The one that has also been nicknamed "the homeless guy" by students at Cal State Northridge?
Unsure: The descriptions I've heard specify a Caind Bi-ped; He (sheath) even showed up on their Infra-red scanner (FLIR) at something like 10x maginfication (that's where the sheath comment came from). At least one Air cop thinks Werewolves are real...and agrees that even if they really exist, they don't.
That's in the right area, and the description sounds generally the same (wolf-like canid with some human features walking around on its hind legs). Are you getting your information from newspaper accounts, oral gossip, or some other source? I know at least one newspaper article appeared on the Van Nuys werewolf, but I'm currently having trouble tracking it down. I'd appreciate any help or additional information I can get, since I am including the Van Nuys werewolf in my next book.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Renorei wrote:Yeah I haven't heard anything in real life either. But then again, I haven't heard anything about vampires, unicorns, dragons, griffins, phoenixes, etc.

The only mythical thing I've heard about in real life is ghosts. And for all I know, they could be real.
I've heard a LOT of these on the Internet, and a few in real life. For example, one of my friends (I think she was about 9 at the time) insisted that she was friends with a gnome named Charlie, who was invisible but could be felt and left footprints. Charlie only appeared when she was alone. Another time, a boy I knew (but who was not my friend) insisted that Ewoks (or things that looked just like them) lived in his house. I think he was about 16 at the time he claimed this, but he might have been younger, like 14 or so. It was obvious that he really believed it, because he kept sticking to his story and he embarrassed himself quite badly in front of all the other kids. I think probably nearly everyone has had an incident when they were kids when some other kid was accused of being a robot or an alien or a vampire for a few days, but I think that most people forget about those incidents after they grow up.
-Jamie Hall
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Jamie wrote:
RedEye wrote:
Jamie wrote:
That's in the right area, and the description sounds generally the same (wolf-like canid with some human features walking around on its hind legs). Are you getting your information from newspaper accounts, oral gossip, or some other source? I know at least one newspaper article appeared on the Van Nuys werewolf, but I'm currently having trouble tracking it down. I'd appreciate any help or additional information I can get, since I am including the Van Nuys werewolf in my next book.
There's a map here that shows that the Northridge campus, the Van Nuys neighborhood and the area consisting of Universal City backing Griffith Park are all adjacent to each other (you may have to zoom to get Northridge to show up). It certainly sounds like we're talking about multiple instances of the same urban legend.
-Jamie Hall