Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
56%
No
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 312

Jessie-Simone
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Jessie-Simone »

:shift: Well people get this I'm a freek I joined this site in hopes that I may feel normale. So here goes and please don't treat me any diffrently becoues of this. When I was 7 I went to the doctor's for a blood test. They fond I had K9 DNA in my genetic mackup. My mum told that it came from my dad he left her after I was born. He wanted to tack me with him but mum wouldn't alow it. I have a high sence of smell, hearing and site thats cool but sometimes it's scary. If you don't beleve me I'll understand me and mt mum berly beleve it but thats sciences for you.
Thanks to Sae-Kurosawa
Kuro
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: La Loba Loca
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Kuro »

I personally believe anything is possible...well almost everything. I'm a therian but I suppose physical shifts could be possible :shift:

~Kuro
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Everything is possible.
It's just a question of how probable.
Most of us would consider werewolves (i.e. physical shifters) to be more likely to be real than Santa Claus (the mythical Santa Claus, not the Turkish saint) but less likely to be real than ghosts. There's a list that goes a bit like this:

1. ESP, telekinesis, and other things that have at least been studied in labs.
2. Mystery animals that could easily be biological creatures (i.e. sea serpents).
3. Aliens, UFOs and assorted mysteries.
4. Angels, miracle healing and other facets of the religious supernatural.
5. Odd systems of esoteric knowledge such as astrology, divination, tarot cards, ley lines, Wicca and so on.
6. Ghosts and related stuff (phantom animals, cold spots, spirit lights and so on)
7. Way-out conspiracy theory stuff like Freemasons controlling all of history, a single secret world-ruling government and the like.
8. Mystery animals that don't seem very biologically plausible (like chupacabras, lizardmen and so on).
9. Literal witchcraft (the casting of spells that really work and lots of other things that appear in witch legends).
10. Real (not merely subcultural) vampires.
11. The weirder mythical creatures such as werewolves, fairies, mermaids, centaurs and so on.
12. Supernatural events that radically affect physical objects, such as alchemy, materialization of substances from thin air, teleportation and so on.
13. Things from folklore and mythology that sound even weirder or more improbable than the above, such as most creation stories of bygone religions.
14. Semi-fictional semi-mythological characters such as Santa Claus
15. Fully fictional characters such as Superman.

Things near the top of the list tend to be believed in by more people, and generally seem more proabable. Things near the bottom of the list are progressively less and less likely, moving more into the realm of the absurd the farther down on the list that you go.
Generally, in order to live in a world that you feel has order and makes sense, you need to draw a line somewhere. Most skeptics draw their lines at the top of the list, even before item #1. Very few people other than children or the insane would draw their line at the very bottom of the list.
But, regardless of where you draw your line, you can't guarantee that you've put it in the right place. There's always a possibility that something that seems extremely improbable could turn out to be true, or that something with large amounts of evidence for it could turn out to be false.

As for the other part of the question, the mental shifters, it is fairly clear that such people do exist, almost by definition. In the realm of the mind, feelings are everything. If the mind believes it feels a certain way, then it does feel that way, and there isn't really anything that anyone can say to disprove that. The only evidence that really counts is internal evidence, and, other than the really ridiculous route of claiming that all such people are faking their experiences, there are few options for the skeptic to take.
The only real question left about mental shifters is what it all means, but that's a question that by its very nature can never really be settled. Has the meaning of anything ever been settled in all of history? Not really, because, once again, meaning is subjective, and you can't prove or disprove the subjective.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Jessie-Simone
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Jessie-Simone »

:| Well thats a relef thank you.
Thanks to Sae-Kurosawa
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

What does a red X in a box have to do with that?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Morkulv wrote:What does a red X in a box have to do with that?
I see a pic of three Matrix Agents, saying, "For your safety we advice you stay ontopic gentlemn. Or there will be consequences"
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think Shadow Wulf edited it, because yesterday it was a red x.

Mneh! :P
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I never edited, I made the picture, yes. But I didnt mess with it after I post it. :)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

well, to help get things BACK ON TOPIC, i voted yes. i would much rather be an optimist and say yes than be like "no way, man. werewolves are in no way real"

also, my current tail and fur are some positive signs that weres are real. :lol:
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Werewolves actually existing. I think in what sense of the word really.

humans using magic to become wolves? I have my doubts, but I have seen some strange things and like to keep an open mind.

clinical lycanthropy: yes

spirit totem wolf, so spiritually a wolf: yes

reincarnated from a wolf and retain remnent behavior: yes, but then again I believe you could be reincarnated from a tree or alien so its a matter of belief.

a sub-species of canine which retained its dew claw as a thumb and can rear up on its hindelegs like a missing link between canines and bears? why not, it would be interesting if someone found such a thing one day and it had been living right in our own backyards all this time.
(had this thought when reading people's encounters in North America with so called werewolf like creatures) what better way for a species to go unseen if it avoids people and people arn't looking for it.
blaidd-ddyn
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Wolves Curse

Post by blaidd-ddyn »

I believe there is every chance Werewolves could have once existed. And if they could have once existed, that must surely mean there is a chance that they still do.
Science claims shapeshifting is immpossible, but a caterpillar 'shapeshifts', albeit slowly. All that must be done is speed up this process and hey presto, proof that lycanthropy can exist.
I'm the Invisble Man
Incredible how you can
see right through me
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

I myself believe they exist. The saying does go " to every myth or legend there's a seed of truth" Plus in my readings every culture around the word has legends of either werewolves or a different brand of lycanthrope or shape shifting demons. though they all tend to be carnivorous. so that kinda scratches the hope of a wererabbit. :( But the instinct of them and fear has probably been arouns for Eons. as example.. look at some of the cave drawings for primitave man. ^_^ But that's just my opinion. i could be wrong.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

tyger wrote:I myself believe they exist. The saying does go " to every myth or legend there's a seed of truth" Plus in my readings every culture around the word has legends of either werewolves or a different brand of lycanthrope or shape shifting demons. though they all tend to be carnivorous. so that kinda scratches the hope of a wererabbit. :( But the instinct of them and fear has probably been arouns for Eons. as example.. look at some of the cave drawings for primitave man. ^_^ But that's just my opinion. i could be wrong.
There is a weregoldfish. Not all werebeasts are carnivores, they are just more popular.
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

O.o Weregoldfish? wow.... So than pepperige farms could change their slogan to "the fish that bite back" :p
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

I am not only a "believer"; I am a werewolf. I was born a wolf. I consider myself a wolf. I have actually changed into a wolf before. Not many humans can believe what I say, but it is true. I don't change into a monster, and I hold my human intelligence. I am an Alpha of a real werewolf pack. Not everyone in my Pack has learned how to Change. I and my Beta are teaching them how to open their minds more and Change their shape. It is absolutly possible. It is a painful but lovely experience. :howl:  :oo
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh geeze.....more "Troo weres"?

:roll:
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Motsiewolf wrote:I am not only a "believer"; I am a werewolf. I was born a wolf. I consider myself a wolf. I have actually changed into a wolf before. Not many humans can believe what I say, but it is true. I don't change into a monster, and I hold my human intelligence. I am an Alpha of a real werewolf pack. Not everyone in my Pack has learned how to Change. I and my Beta are teaching them how to open their minds more and Change their shape. It is absolutly possible. It is a painful but lovely experience. :howl:  :oo
Might I ask if you are indeed telling us these things, can you show us proof of your words as well? Many have come through here making such claims an when asked they never respond nor return. This forum is full of werewolf fans and all would agree with me if I said we'd love to see it happen. Can you in fact show us?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I think I'm just going to stay out of this one.

If Motsiewolf is serious, then there must be a good reason why he/she is bothering to come here, be introduced, and share such an unbelievable secret with us. I'll just wait to see if there IS one.

...if not...I think I will just ignore it...

Posers don't deserve my attention.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Motsiewolf wrote:I am not only a "believer"; I am a werewolf. I was born a wolf. I consider myself a wolf. I have actually changed into a wolf before. Not many humans can believe what I say, but it is true. I don't change into a monster, and I hold my human intelligence. I am an Alpha of a real werewolf pack. Not everyone in my Pack has learned how to Change. I and my Beta are teaching them how to open their minds more and Change their shape. It is absolutly possible. It is a painful but lovely experience. :howl:  :oo

We understand that you are a real shifter.. However, making those statements public without offering proof of it, is only going to cause trouble on these boards.. So as a service to the rest of the non-shifters here.. and for your own protection. I highly advise you NOT advertise what you really are.. It could get you in a lot of trouble in many different ways.. So, if you choose to make those claims again, feel free, but those posts will be removed to keep things more civil around here..

Unless of course you're willing to provide proof, then of course you're more than welcome to do so.
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

Just a quick reply to the comment about the legend not being proof. There was a interesting comment I read about vampires. Mght be the same with werewolves, but with vampires...the the legend itself is almost a imposability. It exists, but virtually every culture has it's own form of vampire of some sort, some kind of being or human that drinks blood, many cultures having never met, every part of the world has a legend of some kind about vampires from the inuit, to the aboriginals of Australia and the tribes of south america. It's possible that they some how all have a common ancenstory, but it's pretty wide spread with such a long history to be just a legend.

Now I'm not saying werewolves or vampires exist, but it's something to think about, if they don't then why is there such a long history of shapeshifters and vampires?
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

*sorry for double post, but just read the above posts*

Just something I stand by, there are very good reasons one wouldn't offer proof they were a shapeshifter. But at the same time they are the same reasons I if I ever did shapeshift reveal it. If you've shapeshifted, or are a real werewolf, then there are others, and if there are others there are those that would hunt, wether out of misguided hatred, or for what ever reason. To reveal onesself would be to put oneself in danger.

By that very point I don't consider lack of evidence or proof of werewolves a sign that they don't exist. By their very nature werewolves would have to be secretive, and avoid any evidence to their existance to be revealed. I forget who said it, but I love the one quote that applies to many things including werewolves.

Abbsence of proof, is not proof of absence.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

In the long run, I would say that anyone anywhere who claims to be something as unbelievable as a real shapeshifting werewolf without providing and definitive evidence is lying. Why? Because there is absolutely no good reason to do so if you really were one.

If it was their intention to connect with OTHER REAL werewolves, then they would need some way to tell who else is telling the truth and who is just BSing for attention or simply out of boredom...or even those who may be just plain delusional.

Think about it. If you WERE a werewolf, and you were looking to get in touch with more like you, what would you get from going online and saying "Hi...I'm a werewolf"? Assuming for the purposes of this argument that there were other real werewolves out there to connect with, out of all that claimed to be "The real deal" as well, 99.9% of them would still just be Furries, Therians and various types of posers, and not for real at all.

One would need to share something that only a REAL werewolf would know, or be able to provide (a seldom known or unpopular quirk of the condition, or something like a photograph for example. A real werewolf would know what's real from what's popular fiction or just a really good photomorph), for other Genuine Lycanthropes to pick out of the pit of posers and realize, "hey...this guy has everything right...he's just like me. I think he's the real deal too."

Without a groundwork of FACTs to stand upon together, all a secretive claimer is looking for is attention, or other imaginative RPers like themselves.

The funny thing is...I see posers sharing their make-believe facts as often as they claim to be keeping them secret, and often they are so brain-numbingly obviously false and fantasy that I actually feel angry for them having such a low opinion of my intelligence.

All of this leads up to me saying what everyone else here seems to be saying...

" PROVE IT ... or just keep it to yourself " ... no good comes from making such claims for no good reason.

However, on the off, astronomically small chance that you ARE a werewolf, but intend to remain hidden, just put on your Human mask and pretend to be normal like the rest of us. You are welcome to stay and chat as much as you like.

Real Werewolves (if there are any) are MOST DEFINITELY welcome as members of our Pack. :thumbsup:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

Just a thought..:> If you want to make sure no one suspects your a werewolf, least the ones your going to want to avoid, what better way then to claim you are one online? :> No ones going to believe you and your credability will be shot.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

wolfwing wrote:Just a thought..:> If you want to make sure no one suspects your a werewolf, least the ones your going to want to avoid, what better way then to claim you are one online? :> No ones going to believe you and your credability will be shot.

True...very true. Make silly claims that you KNOW are not true about what you are, post silly pictures and bad photomanipulations of yourself, and you would have a great alibi to fall back on if anyone started making claims about you being real. If a photo got leaked out and posted online, you can just claim that was a photomanip you did, or paid someone else to do for you, and brag about how cool it is. No one in their right mind would think you are lying and really are a werewolf after all.

...it's almost fool proof...

=^.^'= ~
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

If being a werewolf is something many who are don't want or like another way is to have lots of wolf images and such around you, most werewolves wouldn't want to be reminded of what they were, another good cover story. wouldn't save you while in wolf form, but would protect you from being tagged as a possible werewolf.

Personally my belief is...if your truly a werewolf or a shapeshifter you wouldn't brag about it, it either be something you would hate, or just knowing be enough.

Oh well..:> You can tell I've done alot of thinking about it..:> It being a goal of mine to try to master shapeshifting or beocme a werewolf..:> I've thought alot about the consequences of doing so, and possible ways to avoid trouble.