Bark or No Bark?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Considering that genetically speaking dogs ARE wolves, only deformed and mentally challenged versions like what you would expect from a thousand years of selective inbreeding.

Now takeing this from what I heard on a documentary about wolves. Wolf pups bark alot, almost as much as dogs, however barking is kind of an immature wolf thing to do. As adults they don't usually do it, or do it differently than their youth. But a dog never grows up, it stays a pup mentally even as an adult so it continues to bark even as an adult.

In fact wolves raised in captivity by people rather than a pack will also bark alot, and for the same reason human raised foxes will also bark and cat's meow all the time. Because they know humans respond to the sound, in the wild scent and body language rule their communication as adults. But when humans are the pack, noise becomes the language, and as they can't talk they make the only sound they can make that gets the right response. A growl sure doesn't, a howl doesn't, whine sounds don't, so they bark instead.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Humans can mimic dog sounds. "Bark" "woof" "Ruff" and Grrrrr (growling.) I can see the werewolf doing the same. But there is a difference between a human making the sound and the werewolf.

If a human becomes a werewolf, mimicking dog/wolf sounds could sound more "realistic."

For example........If a human goes "Grrr," its just at the mouth.

But imagine a werewolf going "Grrr." It emits from deep inside the werewolf. It also has some bass to it. It'll sound more menacing than a regular dog's growl. Also....a bark from a werewolf may sound like something we never heard before. It'll be deep...loud...and powerfull.

Thats what I think. :D
nomadvgabond
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by nomadvgabond »

Anubis wrote:werewolves i don't see barking.... they don't have a reason to if they can talk in wolf form.
yes they do thats their animal side!
"in wildness is the preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself!" james hetfield- of wolf and man.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

I'm of the oppinion that they have the ability to, but are either unable mental access that ability (kinda like unable to do err.....snowboarding properly the first time(s)...) or just choose not too.

I'd picture it like that one dog.....errr....nevermind -.-
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Werewolves aren't teached to bark, just like wolves (and humans), so it would be impossible to have a barking werewolf, unless the werewolf has been raised by dogs, wich is very unlikely if you ask me. A animal/human/mammal immitates his/her parents, and thats kinda the bottom-line for the rest of his live, if he/she likes it or not.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:Werewolves aren't teached to bark, just like wolves (and humans), so it would be impossible to have a barking werewolf, unless the werewolf has been raised by dogs, wich is very unlikely if you ask me. A animal/human/mammal immitates his/her parents, and thats kinda the bottom-line for the rest of his live, if he/she likes it or not.
I wouldn't say that it is "IMPOSSIBLE" for a werewolf to bark. I think what you are trying to say is that there would Never be a werewolf that uses barking as a natural form of communication for the reasons you stated. ...but they would surely be able to if there came an unusual situation where such a sound was required.

Heck...even I can Bark. When I take my dogs to the park and they get all exited and start barking at me, I quite frequently will bark right back. Image

I think that if a werewolf (for whatever silly or unusual reason) had a reason to bark, those that are distinctly wolfish in appearance and shape would be able to make a genuine barking sound if they tried. ...but they would never do so out of instinct, since wolves don't usually do that. Only by a conscious decision to do so, (by whatever odd motivation).

...Image... I just had a really silly thought.
If one is talking about a type of werewolf that can speak clearly in Gestalt or Full Wolf Form, technically you could assume that they could also make any other sound humans can make, right?

Just imagine how weird it would be if a big, mean looking Gestalt werewolf got it's big toothy muzzle right in you face and went...

"...Mrrrreoooowwwwww...." ...or... *BLEAT* (the "bahhh" sound sheep make) ...or even... "...Mooooooooooooo..."
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Ofcourse they can bark, but so can we, and we don't, right? I believe that if a werewolf doesn't know the meaning of a bark, they just don't use it. Thats why normal wolves don't bark.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
nomadvgabond
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by nomadvgabond »

Morkulv wrote:Werewolves aren't teached to bark, just like wolves (and humans), so it would be impossible to have a barking werewolf, unless the werewolf has been raised by dogs, wich is very unlikely if you ask me. A animal/human/mammal immitates his/her parents, and thats kinda the bottom-line for the rest of his live, if he/she likes it or not.
dude its in their blood their werewolves just like birds have a natural compass.
"in wildness is the preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself!" james hetfield- of wolf and man.
Arctic Wolf

Post by Arctic Wolf »

Well, I do believe that it would be not impossible, but very improbable. A wolf's vocal cords are made to howl, growl, and that's it! It would take -probably- a werewolf about half it's whole life time (ookaaay) to string together the skills to bark. I have heard a wolf TRY to bark, and it does no good... it sounds like a 'yipe' or squeal. But that is it. :D
GRR
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

nomadvgabond wrote:
dude its in their blood their werewolves just like birds have a natural compass.
Barking is in they'r blood? So, if you for instance weren't teached to speak and write, you would learn it yourself, right? Because its in your blood?

:roll:
nomadvgabond
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by nomadvgabond »

Morkulv wrote:
nomadvgabond wrote:
Barking is in they'r blood? So, if you for instance weren't teached to speak and write, you would learn it yourself, right? Because its in your blood?

no i wouldnt but that takes an active engagment in the activity on my part. barking is instinctual you just do it when your angry. also lets clarify what exactly is "barking". is growling considered barking. besides how can a dogs vocal chords be so different from a dogs their virtually the same. dogs are directly descended from wolves and so on and so forth.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Barking and Wolves (Were' and otherwise)

Post by RedEye »

Barking is a communication with dogs. It usually says "This is my place/space". It also can say "I'm really happy to see you!" THere is one thing to consider here: compared to a Wolf, a domesticated dog is slightly above moronic, but just.
OK---once the dog people stop complaining and giving examples of their pet's intelligence, I'll go on to point out that dogs are pets, and Wolves aren't. Domestic dogs have about 30% less brainpower than Wolves. Why? Because they are Pets! Wolves have a brain that compares very favorably to human in development and brain/body ratio. They live in an Intelligence rewarding environment.
What has this to do with barking? Dogs have about twenty-something sounds they make to communicate. Wolves have (at last report) over two hundred different, specific sounds/sound combinations they use for communication.
Its like this: Dogs say "Dude!"..to just about everything. Wolves say "Hello Beta-pupkeeper, are the pups all well?"
Wolves don't really bark like dogs...their language is much more sophisticated, they don't need to.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Actually, I believe wolves do bark (not only can bark, but do bark), but not very frequently. I see no reason why a werewolf can't bark, unless their human side thinks it is silly :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

nomadvgabond wrote:
Morkulv wrote:
nomadvgabond wrote:

no i wouldnt but that takes an active engagment in the activity on my part. barking is instinctual you just do it when your angry. also lets clarify what exactly is "barking". is growling considered barking. besides how can a dogs vocal chords be so different from a dogs their virtually the same. dogs are directly descended from wolves and so on and so forth.
Communication has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do with instinct. So no, its not a valid argument.

And as far as 'descending from wolves' is conserned: have you ever seen a miauwing lion? I doubt you did.
Last edited by Morkulv on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Barking and Wolves (Were' and otherwise)

Post by Morkulv »

RedEye wrote:Barking is a communication with dogs. It usually says "This is my place/space". It also can say "I'm really happy to see you!" THere is one thing to consider here: compared to a Wolf, a domesticated dog is slightly above moronic, but just.
OK---once the dog people stop complaining and giving examples of their pet's intelligence, I'll go on to point out that dogs are pets, and Wolves aren't. Domestic dogs have about 30% less brainpower than Wolves. Why? Because they are Pets! Wolves have a brain that compares very favorably to human in development and brain/body ratio. They live in an Intelligence rewarding environment.
What has this to do with barking? Dogs have about twenty-something sounds they make to communicate. Wolves have (at last report) over two hundred different, specific sounds/sound combinations they use for communication.
Its like this: Dogs say "Dude!"..to just about everything. Wolves say "Hello Beta-pupkeeper, are the pups all well?"
Wolves don't really bark like dogs...their language is much more sophisticated, they don't need to.
I go with this.