Man, I hate malware!

The place for anything at all...
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Man, I hate malware!

Post by Anubis »

I wasn't very active today because i was at war with some stubbron spyware, trogans, virus, adware or what ever from my computer. It slowed down my computer and browser to a crawl, and it kept showing me pop ups of adult nature, and my home page that was the pack site was replaced wth a site adevertising different security software. I think the whole purpose of my infestation was try to sell me security software.

(can you say irony!)

but i think i finnally removed the annoying software from PC.

Who ever writes them should DIE!!!!

IT"S MY COMPUTER! STAY OUT!! :x
THE GAME

My Armory
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

yeah you tell em' Anubis.. :)
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Man, I hate malware!

Post by Fenrir »

Anubis wrote: but i think i finnally removed the annoying software from PC.
Famous last words.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Anubis wrote:I wasn't very active today because i was at war with some stubbron spyware, trogans, virus, adware or what ever from my computer. It slowed down my computer and browser to a crawl, and it kept showing me pop ups of adult nature, and my home page that was the pack site was replaced wth a site adevertising different security software. I think the whole purpose of my infestation was try to sell me security software.

(can you say irony!)
Yeah, this is pretty common. I see it pretty much every day at work.
Possibly. The only sure way is to flatten and re-install.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

Anubis wrote:I wasn't very active today because i was at war with some stubbron spyware, trogans, virus, adware or what ever from my computer. It slowed down my computer and browser to a crawl, and it kept showing me pop ups of adult nature, and my home page that was the pack site was replaced wth a site adevertising different security software. I think the whole purpose of my infestation was try to sell me security software.

(can you say irony!)

Who ever writes them should DIE!!!!

IT"S MY COMPUTER! STAY OUT!! :x
happened to my grandmas computer so we had a family friend come in and clean the whole place out
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

:) Malware can be a funny thing. Did you open up a microsoft office document or read any e-mail with attachments? There have been letely 0-day attacks on software produced by Microsoft. With all these kinds of software attacks, I really feel safe and secure that i moved my Os platform to Linux for a good deal of my internet needs. (I now only use Windows to download the iso files for the diverse array of linux distros. while that is happening, I will play some game to pass the time)

I can only reccomend to you Anubis a registry cleaner, anti-*ware software, virus scanner software, Xen (for running a vitrual Os ), and plenty of firewalls. All which of course should be Open-Source. With Open Source, the sofware can become updated rapidly so if a 0-day virus does appear, an answer can be produced within at most, a day's time. With constant security impovements, I'm sure you'll be less prone to an attack from some "|-|4><0r" halfway across the world than you are now.

But ultimately, I reccomend that you consider running an open-source operating system for your internet based needs. Often, Viruses cannot make haeds or tails of non-windows operating systems such as linux and openBSD. Thus, there is no chance that some iota of info will be breached on your computer and that you'll recieve constant popups of pron and advertizements. Considering that as a fact, you have no need for anti-warez applications or anti-virus applications (but if incase the time comes when toey are needed, they will be provided) and can thus use more CPU for what you really like to do. Lately, the open-source operating systems have become more asthetically pleasing and user friendly. I'd like to show you...

My desktop ^_^.... http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42340706/

and the latest 3d desktop environment called Beryl (compareable to Vista's Aero but without the expensive memory requirements)...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=re6rOhwMS94

Enough said... Yet another one of those "switch to linux posts" Can't be said enough eh?
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Well i don't think i removed them all just the ones that was doing the most damage. There is one left that is immating the bubbles that the tool bar on the bottum shows, it has links to what else... SECURITY SOFTWARE!

What happened was that i was surfing then a bar poped up from the top of my window. It said that i needed to up date my Active X control or something like that, so i did what i have always done so i hit "install" like a dumb a**.

Then BAM! my computer was infected by some stubborn malicious software.

Right now i'm following the advice of a trusted security forum at comcast's website and i'm using some different scanners to find and remove malware. I found that some are better finding certain programs then others. So far is used my McAfee virus scan, then the Anti-Spy feture that is on my yahoo tool bar, Spy-bot Search and distroy and now i'm using Ad-aware. and when that's is done i'm going to use windows defender, then a follow-up scan by McAfee again.

Every software i use found something, but missed something as well.
THE GAME

My Armory
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

You should also be shure to read up on the latest virus library from Symantec.

And Activex controlls? It's like running with scissors! Verry sharp and pointy scissors. One little trip and you could end up in a bloody mess. I assume that you use Internet Explorer as your default web browser. Whatever you do, DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER OR MICROSOFT OUTLOOK. Those two tools support activex and related technologies that enable hackers to abuse your computer and offer you something like vi*gra or security software.

As an alternative, Find a similar application that does not base itself off of Activex technology. My Favorites are Firefox and Thunderbird. These however, aren't your only options. (just the popular ones :) ) And better yet...

*enters cyborg mode* :borgwolf:
Join the Linux community. Resistance is futile.
*exits cyborg mode*

Um.....

What I meant to say was use an operating system that doesn't use exploitable code.

Even more nettiquite: Don't read e-mails that says there is a virus or worm on the loose.
1. They could contain an auto-installing self run virus attached in your message.
2. Even if the message was clean in code, it is usually just fluff that smells like crap because it is usually all bogus. The sender of the message anticipates that you are going to react to the message and maybee do something like send it to your friends to warn them of a possibly non-existent danger. Much like the nature of chain mail, it can get "viral".
3. Companies with dedicated anti-viral software will be happy to list all that is new in the viral world. Usually, they are up to date even for the 0-day viral attacks. So instead of taking word from a shady e-mail, use a trusted website for a reference.

Fix-it-yourself: task manager , computer management ,and the system registry

Task Manager - Press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Delete" to bring up the task manager. Click on the proccesses tab and make shure "Show proccesses from all users" is checked. Find anything out of the ordinary? Search your hard drive with the name of unknown program. If its location and residing folder contents are shady, look up the name of the program online and see if it isn't an innocent service application. If it isn't, try and close all related proccesses by right clicking the suspected application and selecting "End Proccess Tree". Then, simply selete the application and all other files related to it. If you recieve an error in deleting the file, chances are, it is still running on your operating system and you must try to once again stop the application in its tracks.

Computer Management - Right-click "My Computer" on the desktop and select "Manage". An application titled "Computer Management" will appear. It is organised by category and sub-category. Expand the "Services and Applications" category to reveal the subcategories "Services", "WMI Control", "Indexing Service", and "Internet Information Service". Click on "Services" to reveal all services that are installed on your computer. Search for all services that are running. Stop all tasks that appear to be shady (hints like not having a description and aren't identified online as default services) Then, edit their settings so that they will not run when the computer starts up.

System Registry - Simple Warez make use of the system registry to execute whenever the computer starts up. Go to Start > run... Type in "regedit" as the input. A window will appear tiled "Registry Editor". Similar to Computer Management, the Registry editor is browsable by its sub-categories. Under the path "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\" there will be a category called "Run" and "RunOnce". By clicking on these, you will see certain values that denote applications that run upon starting up your operating system. The applications that you deem unsafe will not start if you delete those values from the registry.

What a long-winded post I developed. Hopefully, you have read it all and learned a thing or two about security and the windows operating environment. (Gosh, I'm such a "NERD" :nerdwolf: )

Untill next time...

*enters cyborg mode* :borgwolf:
Join the Linux community. Install the Linux operating system. Resistance is futile.
*exits cyborg mode*
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

sorry im used to windows so thats how i am
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

So far, there's only one type of ant-anything software that I've trusted (or come close to trusting).

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us ... yware-free

The freeware is a little cheap, but it's not too bad for it. My brother-in-law has been using it for years, he's a major tech type of person, and this seems to have gotten good reviews.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.