Movement

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Movement

Post by ABrownrigg »

Silver and I have been kicking aorund the idea.. although B&C uses some of these guys.. I think having folks like this in suits, or in blue suits.. etc.. might be really beneficial to the werewolves and their movement...

It's called Parkour, or Freerunning.. just truly amazing agility.. I see some of this stuff and immediately think of werewolf agility in gestalt form of course.. Silver and I saw one in the james bond movie, and were blown away.

http://ns33049.ovh.net/%7ebruno/parkour ... ne.mix.wmv
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Parkour

Post by RedEye »

Yes! If you want realistic movement, and truly phenomenal acrobatics; Parkour competitors would be the way to go, especially if the activity is set in a metropolitan area.
Then when the critics say that the action sequences are too unrealistic, you can trot out the people who actually did the sequences.
It should be easy enough to put a Werewolf skin on the blue suit, and save both production time and animation expense.
Plus, Parkour just plain rocks! (to watch...not do)
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

(Unless you can) :P
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Having Parkour guys do that would be awesome.

Some of the ways they moved in that vid even fit with a WW's movement. :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

hmmm......But what about in the woods? Can't do much there.

Unless you "PLAN" on having a werewolf freerunning in the city.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Parkour is OOOOOLD news, Mr. Brownrigg. Fortunately it won't get too old pretty soon because, like others say, it's just pure awesome.

I'm also a bit surprised that i didn't think about Parkour for lycanthropes, cos Parkourists set the new boundary for humanoid acrobatic limits, among other things. I can imagine a moving picture of a lycanthrope in shifted form weave around cities/tree-heavy forests with this skill.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Hmmm... It seems to me that it would be better, if you were going to use CGI during the parkour scenes, to only use the CGI then and go for physical effects on parts where less acrobatic things were going on, and perhaps not get too close to or dwell to long on the CGI wolves. Or were you planning that already?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

kitetsu wrote:Parkour is OOOOOLD news, Mr. Brownrigg. Fortunately it won't get too old pretty soon because, like others say, it's just pure awesome.

I'm also a bit surprised that i didn't think about Parkour for lycanthropes, cos Parkourists set the new boundary for humanoid acrobatic limits, among other things. I can imagine a moving picture of a lycanthrope in shifted form weave around cities/tree-heavy forests with this skill.

Hmmmm...I'm trying to think.

Was that wolf jumping around in the trees in "The Brothers Grimm?" I can't seem to remember.

Its going to be hard for someone who knows Parkour to jump around in trees.

Unless its low thick branches he can climb up to and jump off of.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Figarou wrote:Hmmmm...I'm trying to think.

Was that wolf jumping around in the trees in "The Brothers Grimm?" I can't seem to remember.

That's one problem i'm aware of...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

kitetsu wrote:
Figarou wrote:Hmmmm...I'm trying to think.

That's one problem i'm aware of...

yup...thats why it looks better if done in the city. :D
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

OOH!! :o Most definitely!

That's exactly how a werewolf should move while running or any kind of fast movement. I always imagined werewolves being acrobatic.

Although some of the stuff they do i don't see a werewolf doing like jumping off a wall then rolling when hitting the ground, but i do see them climbing the exact way like they did with the scaffolding. Using whats available instead of like spiderman and in Van Helsing.

But in slow movements like when stalking or walking i suggest you have them walk lightly and gracefully like a large cat. These are power house predators we are talking about here.
THE GAME

My Armory
RedEye

For the Project

Post by RedEye »

I suspect that there will be both city and wilderness scenes in the movie.
Let the Parkour people (sounds like a Rock group that runs a lot) do the city stuff, and then let the Parkour people do the wilderness stuff as well, I've seen Parkour done as a combined race: Follow the "F'n" yellow tape wherever it goes.
Just because Parkour is mostly a city sport, one should remember it was originally devised as an escape strategy for downed French airmen (or so I'm told).
Just make sure that none of the stunt gags are scheduled for the full of the Moon; you might not get all your Parkour people showing up.... :lol:
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Well let me specify.

Im not saying I want parkour in freeborn.. Im not saying I want acrobatics off city walls.. Im saying that if I'm gonna put people in werewolf costumes.. taht I want them to have a masterful control of their bodies.. and able to 'move' ... the training that goes into parkour seems to fit better than just getting a trained gymnist.. remember a werewolf costume is heavy.. uncomfy.. and anyone inside needs to have good control..

that's why Im looking at these parkour guys.. not necessarily because I want them to leap off buildings..

AB
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:Well let me specify.

Im not saying I want parkour in freeborn.. Im not saying I want acrobatics off city walls.. Im saying that if I'm gonna put people in werewolf costumes.. taht I want them to have a masterful control of their bodies.. and able to 'move' ... the training that goes into parkour seems to fit better than just getting a trained gymnist.. remember a werewolf costume is heavy.. uncomfy.. and anyone inside needs to have good control..

that's why Im looking at these parkour guys.. not necessarily because I want them to leap off buildings..

AB

oh..ok

i clearly understand what you are trying to do.

:D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I remember someone else posting videos of these guys (or others like them) here in the past. My general reaction to seeing this is usually not so much "That's Awesome" as "That looks like fun...why did I ever stop doing that?...".

When I was younger, I used to try to do stuff like that all the time...but sadly I didn't like being in the spotlight, and I especially didn't like it when other kids around me tried to imitate me (because they would always get hurt, and then I would get in trouble for teaching them dangerous things) so the only times I would try would be when I was sure no one else was looking...which was impossible because the best places to do it was in public arias like in this video.

...also...my parents and siblings thought I was insane, and it's usually not technically legal to climb all over framework like that most of the time. So...I stopped.

It's funny to look back on that now. If I had kept doing that, I would be in much better shape than I am right now, and you would all think I was AWESOME... Image

...too bad I didn't. Now I'm just a scrawny, pasty skinned dork weakling...Image

At least...I don't think I can do that anymore. It's been years since I tried. (though I never did anything quite to the extremes as most of that...just beginner stuff...I was in my early to mid-teens after all)

On forests and trees...you most certainly can do that on trees too. ...and rock faces, and just really steep hills... In fact...that was my favorite place to practice and give my parents a heart attack. The trouble with trees is, bark and branches tend to break off... which is both bad for you when you fall, and bad for the trees too.

*Sigh* ...if only I had stayed in shape... then I could have auditioned for a stuntman position in Freeborn. Alas...the regrets of paths not taken...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Great Idea Anthony. I have no complaints about werewolves moving and displaying the limits of real humanoid agility and physical ability. That would be awesome...just so long as it doesn't look like they are trying too hard to look cool. Fancy stunts like backflips for no apparent reason would just be weird. ...but it sounds like you already agree with me on that, so I say 'Go for it'. Sounds good to me.

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

AB
Yes. You are the director, after all.
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

I think Parkour would go a good idea :)

My cousin and I tried doing it while he visited once, but we failed miserably :D

Laters
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

AB
Yup...you're right.

In this video...furries are doing flips and jumps in their fur suits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk6WX3Phg3I

I also found something else.

Read what happened when they was doing those flips.
The names are (Red suit) Malroo, and (tan suit) Kio_wolf. This video was taken in the "zoo" Sunday night of anthrocon 2006.
Kio is a professional gymnast and malroo (although not a pro) also knows what he is doing. Malroo actually injured his shoulder quite badly during the stunts (it can be seen on the video as his paw slips) and was one of a dozen or so injuries reported that night.
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

That's a nice find!

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

I've been thinking parkour, at this moment my main hobbie is bujinkan budo taijutsu. It is combat skill that the ninjas used. Still I'd like to start parkour as well :)
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

AB
Ah, clever. Yeah, the control one needs to do that stuff must be immense, so they'd probably have an easier time moving in a heavy, uncomfortable suit.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Reminds me of the training that Mascots go through...they do similar stuff to garner support for their team.
Perhaps Mr. Brownrigg could check the various Mascot schools? :shift:
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

I like it. I like it a lot - not necessarily because all of it is employable but it lends to the trend of motion necessary to pulling off a werewolf theatrically: something natural, something powerful, something cool...

This could be employed anywhere, honestly, not just urban or suburban centers. In well chosen, or even specifically engineered forest settings this can be utilized and still maintain some bizarre level of acceptability.

I really love the focus on the hands in motion - especially envisioning it in anything gestalt. It makes sure that it's an understood connection between fluid animal motion and all portions of the body - even for a bipedal creature.

With some selection this could be a fantastic source for movement - though I think a definite supplements of other ideas to help keep the motion fluid while not at a high rate of motion will ultimately yield the full picture of gestalt werewolf movement too.