A PACK get-together at SAN DIEGO COMICON-The biggest of all.

The place for anything at all...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Here's all the info you need.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I hate large conventions, so I wont be going. I feel like such huge gatherings is over-hyped mainstream crap. I could go for buisness reasons to obtain more "contacts" but I wouldn't enjoy it. If I were going to go to California for a convention for such things it would be that huge 3D Animation convention (forgot the name).

I like the small cult-level interest gatherings. The last thing I want to see is over 50 thousand fans oogleing over over-hyped crap-for-storylines like Naruto and Inuyasha. What about the superb character development of Outlaw Star, or the experimental independant art styles of Antartic Press. The comic and anime underground is strong in A-kon.

At A-Kon its a more manageable low key setting. The lines at events aren't as long either. The independant artists get more attention at A-Kon. At A-Kon you can walk around in a super awesome costume every year and people will remember you like a celebrity. I'm starting the trend of bringing hand crafted weapons every year in my Kaebora costume. It drew in a crowd last year. In the end, to me, A-Kon is more fun than any other convention. Even some of the Red Vs Blue cast members agreed with me when I mentioned how annoying larger conventions are. They say that E3 gets boring after many years of attendance. This is going to be my fifth year in a row attending A-Kon. I have yet to be bored of it.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I'd love to go to one of these conventions (big or small), but travel and accommodation's is just so expensive, and getting enough time off for it is nearly impossible for me.

MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Fine. if you don't wanna go to a big convention that's fine. but why would you bother to post that? "Lots of people go to a convention so it must be crap"

Yeesh.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Pack plans for world domination

Post by Scott Gardener »

Silver, Anthony Brownrigg's wife and the writer of the Freeborn screenplay, works A-Kon each year. Anthony Brownrigg is already on the guest list. They already have reoccurring commitments to A-Kon that make it hard to supplant going to that particular convention.

But, there's no reason we can't do both locations. Technologically, we're at a point where video conferencing should make it possible to network get-togethers. While those of us who live in or near Dallas go to A-Kon, those of you closer in to San Diego could get together and do Comi-Con. Having Matt Sullivan of Camp Lycanthrope there could help anchor that location as a full-featured attraction, so that it'll be a distinct Pack spot, rather than just a "we can't make it to Texas" consolation.

And then, we'll be one step closer to ruling the world...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I'm not opposed to going to A-Kon. In fact, it sounds like a lot of fun! I will try and make both, if it's possible.
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

I live in San Diego County about 25 minutes from downtown SD, it would be great to meet at least some pack members at this years con.

I remember when San Diego Comic Con was much smaller and yes I enjoyed it then too.
It took many years to get our comic con to this point and I dont think its less enjoyable just because its larger.
I enjoy the large gatherings and never tire of all the kewl people I get to meet.

Ive been friends with several owners of comic shops so Ive gotten to meet many artists that way and meet them when they were up and coming. Brian Pulido (Lady Death, Evil Ernie) when he first got started, used to draw my oldest daughter pics of Evil Ernie buttons etc. An extremely nice guy.

A few years back I managed to get into the press room with my photographers release and business cards and meet Francis Ford Coppola and his son before the release of BS's Dracula. I got to take pictures and talk to him briefly.
You never can tell whats going to happen at the Con, its a great experience.

Get on the mailing list, they mail out new updates or keep checking their website.
You can find less expensive hotels. Try to book in advance and you can also save money by getting roommates.

Volunteers get to attend for free. Just pick 1-4 days (its up to you).
Volunteer assignments are 3 hours each day you sign up for and you get a badge to get in.
After your done with your assignment your free to wander the con and do anything you want.
Goto the website and check out the volunteer info and it has a place to sign up (I think on the far right hand side of the website)
I believe volunteers get extra goodies as well (if I remember right)

San Diego Comic-Con 2007 is July 26-29

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I would love it if some of you guys came to the A-kon at Tampa, admission is cheap and less lines.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

MattSullivan wrote:Fine. if you don't wanna go to a big convention that's fine. but why would you bother to post that? "Lots of people go to a convention so it must be crap"

Yeesh.
Sorry, then allow me to elaborate. The nature of my personality makes me want to join the crowd less followed, have interests that are intelectually sound yet unknown to most, and join in on the fads that have that cult-like following. It's much more exciting for me to be apart of things "underground" and not as popular with the majority. I tend to get in touch more with others that share this feeling at smaller conventions like Anime Fest and A-Kon. To me, events, trends, and entertainment that is extremely popular becomes milked for every dollar, and eventually loses the special quality that made it unique.

By all means I try larger conventions, but I just can't seem to enjoy them as much for the above reasons. Thats all. I'm not trying to maliciously discourage anyone from going to the larger conventions.

Sorry if my previous post sounded a bit vulgar, but I was just expressing my opinions as they came to me, and basicly daring someone to toss a ducky at my head.
-Kaebora
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Gladstones baby! I miss the decent seafood from San Diego living out in colorado. It would be worth the trip alone to go eat at say, the Fishery, or some other rocking San Diego eatery.
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

How's the calamari there?
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Templar wrote:How's the calamari there?

*shutters* My family once had a Kalimari fight cause it went bad and my uncle through at my cousin, well one thing led to another, and I couldn't get the ink stains off for a week.....but it was worth it 8)
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Fenrir wrote:

*shutters* My family once had a Kalimari fight cause it went bad and my uncle through at my cousin, well one thing led to another, and I couldn't get the ink stains off for a week.....but it was worth it 8)
Calamari wont leave ink stains. It's cooked and breaded. :? If it were live squid, then yes. There's a difference. :P
-Kaebora
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Kaebora wrote:
Fenrir wrote:

Calamari wont leave ink stains. It's cooked and breaded. :? If it were live squid, then yes. There's a difference. :P
....clearly you don't have a Greek family. It was not live squid, it was dead, but it had been left out too long....it was about to be cut, but it was meant to be Kalimari, so it was a Kalimari fight

BTW not all Kalimari is breaded, for Kalimari....is squid.....it's plain and simple....Kalimari means squid.... and not all people take their squid breaded (though they should)
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Fenrir wrote: BTW not all Kalimari is breaded, for Kalimari....is squid.....it's plain and simple....Kalimari means squid.... and not all people take their squid breaded (though they should)
Oooh, yeah... for example...

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/mf/frame?the ... e=c&a=0,15

Yeah, big url, I know. Heheheheheh...
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

MattSullivan wrote:I'm not opposed to going to A-Kon. In fact, it sounds like a lot of fun! I will try and make both, if it's possible.
Oh that'd be sweet if you came to a-kon :jester: If you did would you possibly have a booth ?? I think that'd definatly be a good way to get attention on CL :jester:

Scott Gardener wrote:Silver, Anthony Brownrigg's wife and the writer of the Freeborn screenplay, works A-Kon each year. Anthony Brownrigg is already on the guest list. They already have reoccurring commitments to A-Kon that make it hard to supplant going to that particular convention.

But, there's no reason we can't do both locations. Technologically, we're at a point where video conferencing should make it possible to network get-togethers. While those of us who live in or near Dallas go to A-Kon, those of you closer in to San Diego could get together and do Comi-Con. Having Matt Sullivan of Camp Lycanthrope there could help anchor that location as a full-featured attraction, so that it'll be a distinct Pack spot, rather than just a "we can't make it to Texas" consolation.

And then, we'll be one step closer to ruling the world...
Well Said Scott :Jester3:
Kuro
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: La Loba Loca
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Kuro »

Sadly I couldn't make it to San Diego? was it? I'm in the middle of the US and most of all broke heh. I know I probably wont make it to anygathering but i'd be cool to see some of the pack sometime. Maybe when I graduate i could make it to a convention...*shrugs* everyone have fun though. I can't wait to hear about it if ya'll go! :o

~Kuro
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I think there are too many conventions and sub-cons. It makes you have to make a choice as to which you most want to attend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

MattSullivan wrote:Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I think there are too many conventions and sub-cons. It makes you have to make a choice as to which you most want to attend
On the other hand, if there was only one, and it was always on the opposite side of the country/world from you are...then it would suck to be you.

Not everyone can just drop everything and fly around to where these things are. There are many so that the people from the arias around them (who otherwise never could have attended the further ones) can be a part of the excitement and community too.

...deciding which ones to go to is only a dilemma for people who are lucky enough to have the financial means and freedom to go to any/all of them as they please.

As for me...All of them are out of my reach. Too Far...Too Expensive.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Know what's funny and sad at the same time?

Back when people in America were paid a decent wage for their work, whatever it was, you COULD afford to take time off and could actually afford to fly where you wanted/needed to go. Now they are outsourcing your higher paying jobs. That's PART of the reason.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

You can send any airplain-tickets to me.

Please?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

For those who actually have the money, there's the problem of time. Bloody annoying. Didn't people used to have more free time, too? I actually remember when people took vacations. (They still do--all the people who send you billing errors, tax notices, or otherwise demand something urgently. They're invariably on vacation when I call. Maybe I should ask if they have any job openings?)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Scott Gardener wrote: I actually remember when people took vacations. (They still do--all the people who send you billing errors, tax notices, or otherwise demand something urgently. They're invariably on vacation when I call. Maybe I should ask if they have any job openings?)
:lol: Its so true.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Its like they say, "The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer".
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Its like they say, "The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer".
Now that the democrats are in charge it's gonna be different, "the rich will stay rich, but probably lose some money, but the poor will get poorer"
They're going to raise taxes, the mininumum wage *which will itself make living more expensive so that companies can still make the same amount of money they will charge the consumer more so it serves no point what so ever* and health care.

I hope Bush does one thing right in his entire career and vetos those, because that may cause the lottery not to be able to afford the hope scholorship program, which is what is paying for my college, :cry: if they take that out, I can't go to college, for the hope is full tuition to a college.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon