Is werewolves and horror unescapable?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How much horror would you like to see?

None. Its been done to death anyways.
14%
Some. Every werewolf film needs some horror in it.
48%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
22%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
8%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
8%

Total votes: 63

Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

I voted "none". Not because of not liking horror - I've got no problem with a good werewolf horror movie... have seen a few of them... "Dog Soldiers" was good fun, for example... but there's been a real shortage of anything else.

I'd like to see more thrillers and character dramas. Get inside the new werewolf's head as he (or she) is struggling to adjust to life inside a fur coat. Doesn't mean there can't be shocks and scares and a metaphorical white-knuckle ride on the way to wherever the film's going.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

I voted "some". Honestly, the old horror-deamon-doomed werewolf picture is squeezed out. Ok, horrible scenes let run cold showers of scaryness over your back. That in combination with a good plot is the stuff a good werewolf horror flick is made of. But is the werewolf theme strictly conjuncted with horror characteristics? It's not in my mind. Werewolfs are major predators. So they have to hunt and to kill their prey as every predator in nature as well. Thus, the existence of a werewolf is always a bloody job. So the question is whether a werewolf's prey should be focused on men or not. I'm sure we've already discussed that question often times. But I think this is a very important question of this topic because whether a scene is horrible or not is only a question of the chosen perspective. For example a video of a deer-hunt should be best horror in the eyes of the deer but an interesting teaching film for the predator, let's say us men.

This thought opens a new wide range of possible werewolf topics for good plots of werewolfe flicks which don't only deals with the predatory nature of the werewolf but with the complex layer of interactivity between werewolf and men. This takes me to my opinion that werewolf stories needn't to be horro stories.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

My Previous Post still sums up my opinion on the subject pretty well.

I am not a fan of the "Horror" genre at all, but even so, the association of Werewolf=Scary is not something I am in any great hurry to get away from. Even in stories about friendly, beautiful, (vs. cliche 'demon ugly'), and even 'gentle' werewolves, I think there should always be some point where one of the werewolves does something that proves why you probably should be afraid of werewolves...because friendly or not, they are still dangerous, intimidating and powerful creatures...they have the instincts of a carnivore/hunter...and their teeth and claws are not just there for show.

IMHO
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Vuldari wrote:My Previous PostEven in stories about friendly, beautiful, (vs. cliche 'demon ugly'), and even 'gentle' werewolves, I think there should always be some point where one of the werewolves does something that proves why you probably should be afraid of werewolves...because friendly or not, they are still dangerous, intimidating and powerful creatures...they have the instincts of a carnivore/hunter...and their teeth and claws are not just there for show.
I completely agree with you here, Vuladari. Werewolves are major predators and so they are dangerous. Their teeth and claws are sharp, daedly und rip butt ugly wounds in somebogy's flesh. And they'll be used in common in that way.
A werewolf flick which doesn't show the predatory nature of its werewolves wouldn't be a proper werewolf flick.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

What about a werewolf documentary :lol:

As in, imagine werewolves were real...so a mockumentary? That what it'd be? That'd be very interesting. I already posted here about horror I think. I love horror movies, but I want to see a variety of genres I guess.

Including a 'mockumentary' :D
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Mockumentary

Post by RedEye »

That's not a bad idea. It could be done on the cheap, and also as a test for AB's Werewolves.
Items could be such things as:
Werewolf beer chugs. Speed-shifting (with prizes) "Scare the Tourist" games, with professional tourists also doing the judging.

A day in the Life...

Werewolf Bowling tournament...

There are so-o-o many possibilities! :lol: :lol: :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Snowskin
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Snowskin »

veriety is good, i would prefer to see a move away from the horor scene (though maybe not too far) as in my opinion there are way too many movies where the werewolf is cast as the evil deamonic monster that kills everything it runs across. but as has been said alredy (so i will be breaf) werewolves are predators, therefor they evoke the instinctive fear responce.
not all who wander are lost
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Hmm... I expect to see some blood in the movie but NOT massive amounts, it usually make it feel like that the writers got no imagination at all :|
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
navalagVLK
Legendary
Legendary

Post by navalagVLK »

I like Horror.

I like 'Mockumentaries'.

I like every damn genre there is :D The quality of the movie itself is more what I'm into :roll:

But even still, in any movie, there can't be every kind of everything. Because then it ends up being 120 minutes of quick characters, and many subplots. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but more often that not, it'll probably end up being a bit crappy. But... TO THE POINT! :O

Werewolves and Horror surely aren't joined at the hip!

I can think of a few ways to separate the two, like having a purely werewolf film where they're all out in the modern world, taking out other packs for territory, and doing werewolf things, avoiding any sort of werewolf/human interaction. But that'd lead to disappointment here and there, but probably be a nice change. It's hard for me to know X)

Or maybe a mockumentary on the last werewolf pack in existence. Somethiiin'.

But if werewolves and humans are gonna meet, there's gonna be screams n' guts, which shoves the film under the dang "Horror" Genre. (Way to state the obvious, me :wink: )

I'd like another film like Dog Soldiers, just more time on the werewolves... And groovier looking werewolves :)
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

navalagVLK wrote:I like Horror.

I like 'Mockumentaries'.

I like every damn genre there is :D The quality of the movie itself is more what I'm into :roll:

But even still, in any movie, there can't be every kind of everything. Because then it ends up being 120 minutes of quick characters, and many subplots. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but more often that not, it'll probably end up being a bit crappy. But... TO THE POINT! :O

Werewolves and Horror surely aren't joined at the hip!

I can think of a few ways to separate the two, like having a purely werewolf film where they're all out in the modern world, taking out other packs for territory, and doing werewolf things, avoiding any sort of werewolf/human interaction. But that'd lead to disappointment here and there, but probably be a nice change. It's hard for me to know X)

Or maybe a mockumentary on the last werewolf pack in existence. Somethiiin'.

But if werewolves and humans are gonna meet, there's gonna be screams n' guts, which shoves the film under the dang "Horror" Genre. (Way to state the obvious, me :wink: )

I'd like another film like Dog Soldiers, just more time on the werewolves... And groovier looking werewolves :)
I like horror too but I thought that the Freeborn would show the werewolves "softer". Not screaming in terror and spilling blood all over the place.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
navalagVLK
Legendary
Legendary

Post by navalagVLK »

I haven't seen the script yet, so I can't really deny or confirm any sort of content. Someone else might be able to tell you :)

I'm hoping it will show the softer side of things, since that'll make for something really groovy, and fairly different from other Werewolf films :wink:
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Freeborn

Post by RedEye »

I believe the story will use the "Hidden Population" line (no, I haven't read the script either: I'll wait till it comes out in the Theatres; they do so much better a job of telling the story..). :wink:

Actually, "Horror" is as much a matter of presentation and editing as it is filming. There have been several horror flicks where, when I finally saw the "monster" it was somewhat of a disappointment, I'd expected more.
Horror is as much a case of situation as it is Visual fright.
Example: it's midnight, and there's a storm outside. A knock sounds at your door; you open it, and....IT'S A CLOWN! Gauranteed, you'll need to change your knickers!
Horror is the unexpected, right in your face!
So, are Werewolves and Horror inseparably bound together? No....but they're very good friends....
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Freeborn

Post by Herpscott »

RedEye wrote:I believe the story will use the "Hidden Population" line (no, I haven't read the script either: I'll wait till it comes out in the Theatres; they do so much better a job of telling the story..). :wink:

Actually, "Horror" is as much a matter of presentation and editing as it is filming. There have been several horror flicks where, when I finally saw the "monster" it was somewhat of a disappointment, I'd expected more.
Horror is as much a case of situation as it is Visual fright.
Example: it's midnight, and there's a storm outside. A knock sounds at your door; you open it, and....IT'S A CLOWN! Gauranteed, you'll need to change your knickers!
Horror is the unexpected, right in your face!
So, are Werewolves and Horror inseparably bound together? No....but they're very good friends....
I can't put a vote down for any one category. There are numerous possibilities out there to make a werewolf movie whatever genre you want. I like the idea of a horrorific creature as was said many times in previous posts, sharp teeth and claws, etc. But, the thing that is missing in a thread like this is what is the ultimate story to be told. Even the mockumentary could be horrorific if you wanted it to be. Make all the werewolves really into some weird cult like religion OR make them all have ritualistic orgies every night. I DON'T want to see that but I am merely illustrating a point. The genre will be based on the personalities of the werewolf characters both as their human and beast forms.

Nods to the quote above about being disappointed in a movie when the creature was finally revealed, see "It."

Actually, when it all boils down, I will see any werewolf movie because I just love the idea - on so many levels! I might even see the mockumentary with the funky cults or orgies JUST to see how it was done. :lol:
"Ignorance is Bliss to those Uneducated" -Nick Hexum of 311

Please don't shoot me!!
CrypticIdentity
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by CrypticIdentity »

I definitely think a werewolf movie can be done without being a horror movie. I just think that werewolves and horror work well together, sort of like what RedEye said.
If I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see...
Said if I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Perhaps a good example of how presentation can make all the difference, see some of the old black-and-white Twilight Zone and Outer Limits episodes.

There's a great Outer Limits episode entitled, "The Architects of Fear." A group of scientists decide that the only way to prevent nuclear war is to convert one of them into the appearance of an alien creature and have that being show up at the U.N. headquarters, threatening an alien invasion, uniting humanity against a common enemy. The first half of the story is very creepy and visually superb, quite haunting. Once you actually see the "alien," however, it's quite a let-down, since 1960s visual effects are to us pretty tame. But, a contemporary remake of this could be pretty startling, if one could follow the original heart of it, rather than turning it into a strictly blood and slime fest.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Sky
Legendary
Legendary

what should a werewolf be.

Post by Sky »

I voted a little bit of horror or at least SOME action in it would be nice, a movie isn't a movie with out it, in my opinion anyways.

I saw dog soldiers although old, it was interesting from the HUMAN perspective, last week I saw blood and chocolate and the WEREWOLF perspective was also interesting, although it would be nice to show the werewolf as something more then a power hungry beast hell bent on revenge.

The secret society aspect has always fascinated me, especially if they were about to be or have been found out by an out sider.

But of course as you look at the underground genre of the rl werewolf each one is unique and each of them have their own views as what a were should be, some believe they should be scary and hell bent on hating all non-were's or even vamps :roll: but there ARE those of us out there that just go about our day to day activities trying to make the earth a better place to live... like green peace :wink:
Sky :)
I'm Crazy Deal With It!