Cars & Car Accidents

The place for anything at all...
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Cars & Car Accidents

Post by Ink »

So, my cousin is still in the ICU with head trauma and a list of awful-awful injuries that have left her on a respirator, probably fully blind due to two shattered eye sockets severing both optic nerves and currently she's prepped for surgery due to threatening brain swelling. (Yes, my nerves are shot but life deals hard cards at times. And I've all ready cried about it - now it's just a waiting game.)

Plus, today a young man I knew/worked with while delivering just got killed yesterday in a roll over. It shook me up pretty bad - only 17 years old and caught up on a sheet of black ice and that's all she wrote...

Ugh...

Add on top of it the fact my car is, well, frozen solid in this cold weather and nearly an inch of ice it's not helping me feel any better about driving 800 miles next week.

I'm frustrated - Anybody else moderately frustrated by the automobile right now?

:?
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

well my mom doesn't have a car but there is ice all over the place. my mom hurt her leg just trying to walk on the sidewalk. and it's cold as hell. I'm not used to the cold since this is the desert and all. but I do hope things get better for you. I really do. and have a safe jerny.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Well I dont drive and the weather is just finally etting cold here so I cant complain about the same thing but I hope your cousin is ok. Shattered eye sockets sound terribly painful! :(
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

It is really icy out - I just had to vault down my ice covered porch steps. Cute.

I like the cold - but I wish it were, like, Lake Effect Snow. This January sucks. No snowshoeing, black ice killing people - All I need now is for a Yeti to walk in the house.

Ironically, I want a 7-11 slushie. Or one of those Dunkin' Donut's Iced Coffee. >_>

Why ICE?! WHY!?

:supermad:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

I almost got creamed by a speeding van yesterday, I even braced for a high speed impact on my rear bumper, but they blindly swerved into the next lane while missing me by inches. Albuquerque houses some of the worst drivers in the nation. You can't go anywhere without someone driving like a jerk. I just have to be extra aware of those around me. Sometimes, like the incomming van, you can't avoid a crash unless the faulty driver does something.

In regards to your mother, I hope she recovers. Blindness will be a huge obstical that I seriously hope she can overcome. My grandfather is going through tough times since his stroke. He can no longer read, write, speak clearly, or move the left side of his body. He's made amazing progress in the last year, and while I was visiting, he moved his left big toe for the first time! I certainly hope that your mom has good progress, and hopefully a full recovery.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

The only time i ever had an accident was...WHILE MY CAR WAS PARKED, AND I WAS AWAY FROM IT, WHILE IT WAS IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE REPAIR SHOP!!!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Last week I was walking on the sidewalk when a minivan slammed right into the back of an SUV and parts went spraying all around me. Everyone walked . The winter took so long to get here then came in out of nowhere that I think a lot of people aren't prepared to deal with it yet.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

*Shudders* I fear people who prepare too late for winter.

I think of people without snow tires up here... That's a death sentence.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

I've been in a car accident in the summer of last year. Very nasty. Luckily my brother (who drove the car) managed to get the car off the road. He drove over a poal.

Later we found out that the tire of car was completely destroyed. Must have been because of the heat or something... I've retrieved a part of that poal that my brother hit as a souvenir. :D Haha.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Ink, I hope your cousin returns to health soon, be the best she can have after you mentioned the eye thing :( I've had a few shunts myself, though thankfully none with injury. We don't get snow much over here, though it does get cold and icy.
I've had a near miss where someone came tearing around a roundabout at insane speeds, I was about to go onto it when they came tearing around the corner. I just was able to stop in time, locking up once before stopping the car within 3 feet of the other one. The driver took one angry look at me like I'd done something wrong, when HE'D been almost sliding around the roundabout! I gave an apologetic look before he gunned his car, and smoked his tyres off around me and took off again at insane speeds.

Some people speed without thinking. Admittedly I do go a bit quick around my local roads back home, but only within the speed limits and i ALWAYS read the road conditions as far ahead as possible.
*When you're down... howl*
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

Winter driving definitely has a knack to it. They didn't scrape, salt, or sand our road one night and I ended up fish-talling for half mile the other night.

Thankfully we own all the property on both sides of this road (and I have yet to use it as ditch-space).