Werewolf color vision?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should werewolves have color-vision?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 78

Ancient
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keeper of useless knowledge and information

Post by Ancient »

I personaly think that a werewolf would retain it's human vision. It may be enhanced at night, but as Fenrir spoke of they are after all human and wolf. I may not have all this scientific information to back up why I feel this way, but after all the word werewolf literly means "Man-beast".
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.-Albert Einstein
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

yes but Teh_DarkJokerWolf they are not all wolf but yet not all human. They have both charateristics of wolf and of man.

I also agree with ancient, human eye but enhanced but also wiht night vision.
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
redwolfmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Clawed Creator

Post by redwolfmoon »

I myself feel that werewolves have human eyes, seeing as that is what they are to begin with. Still capable of seeing in color, just hard to do. Why. 'Rod's, that's why.

A human eye has two different cells that cover the retina except for a small area, the fovea, directly opposite the cornea, rods and cones. Cones are dedicated to seeing color and light, the main cells that humans use. In order for a human to go from light to dark vision, it takes roughly 20-45 minutes to see clearly in the dark because the rods need to warm up. Humans are considered to have poor lowlight vision because of this extened period of transition.
Some humans have cases of astigmatism where the rods are weaker then average, while some have stronger rods. The strength or weakness of the rods controles the time of transition.

A werewolf, though now not as human as it once was, has simply increased strength to the rods. This means that they don't see as much color, but are still able to see well in the dark.
Doodle, doodle, paint, paint, don't forget about the sex and violence!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Uh, astigmatism is where the cornea has been scratched, or has a bump that deforms the surface.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Color Vision

Post by RedEye »

I used the same sort of thing in the story I'm trying to sell; one of the characters "Crosses over" and notices that his color vision has gone pastel, and the explanation is: "While you were Crossing, you lost about twenty percent of your Cones, in that they became rods. Your night vision, on the other hand is now equal to a generation two light amplifier."
If the conversion that happens "in Crossing" is caused by a Viroid; then it's easy to postulate that the Cones in the eye become rods (they are related structures) and that given the Pupil size of the human eye, a twenty percent increase in Rods would grant that much increase in light sensitivity.
Add in that some of these new rods are "trigger" rods (the least change triggering an entire rod stimulus) you have the Wolf's ability to "see" game when they move even the slightest bit. It all fits nicely.
Very good point, Redwolfmoon.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
redwolfmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Clawed Creator

Post by redwolfmoon »

I am aware of this Apokryltaros, but it also affects your rods and cones, which is why a majority of people with astigmatism are perscribed transitiant lenses. (I asked my eye doctor about this before I posted my original comment. I'm working on not being stupid :lol: )
Doodle, doodle, paint, paint, don't forget about the sex and violence!
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

i think that werwolvesshould have color vision but then again it isnt good for wolves to have color visions. if we have color vision then we will be able to see in color. but we do not have color vision then we will be able to see in the dark alot better 8)
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

I have wonderful color vision and can see in the dark just fine 8) 8)

Wolves and werewolves see in more than just color. They see in scents and hearing too, which gives them what seems imposibly accurate sight in the dark.
Jessie-Simone
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Jessie-Simone »

It would be cool to see brown, blond, black fured werewolfs.
Thanks to Sae-Kurosawa
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

Yeah I can see in the dark fine but I would think it would be enhanced alot with the change ect. Even in human form I'm sure the night vision would be great if they wanted it to....
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

I think it depends on the stage of changing, like at one point man, another wolf, and another somewhere in-between.