What would be some good music to go along with a werewolf TF

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

lupine wrote:Hey just managed to download ONLY my fave thrash album ever....For NOWT!!!
SABBAT History of a time to come. Pagan nirvana!!! :headbanger:

Ehhh easy listening at best :P :lol: :evil:
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

BLASPHEMER!!!! :lol:

Heathen turncoat!!! :D
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

lupine wrote:BLASPHEMER!!!! :lol:

Heathen turncoat!!! :D

ERM!!!..... huh? :lol:
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

Depends on the situation and the mood of the scene, I think
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

I feel like I'm the olny one that can't stand death metal or anger music as I call it. If I can't understand the lyrics, then I just can't get into it. I respect those guys that play it. The drummer from Slayer, damn. But, I prefer music to be relaxing, good for sex, conducive to study, or just happy...no thrashing around and being pissed. Not my cup of tea...
"Ignorance is Bliss to those Uneducated" -Nick Hexum of 311

Please don't shoot me!!
camkitsune
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by camkitsune »

I can understand where you're comming from. Personally, I dislike the technique called 'throat singing' myslef.
Of course, in my opinion most of the times the need for lyrics detracts from the music itself. Most of the time when you put lyrics into a song the attention of the listener is drawn to them. The other elements of the song, such as the rythm and the harmonic structure, get proportionately less attention.
Obviously, there are exceptions, but most music in the popular realm these days (at least to my ear) doesn't seem to be trying very hard.
Interestingly enough, some of the most complex music to be heard is, in fact, shred metal. If you can ignore the lyrics you'll find all sorts of interesting rythmic and harmonic gestures.
Anyway, i think the point i'm trying to make (if i had one) is that all music has some kind of merit to it, although obviously not every genre is for everyone.
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

I guess it depends on what king of werewolf movie it is (i.e. horro, drama, romance, etc) and the kind of mood the transformation is suppose to set.
I was actually thinking a few days ago that maybe music by Linkin Park would be good. If you listen to their music and some of their lyrics, it's mostly about breaking away from something that is taking you down and just releasing yourself. That's just how I see it.
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Herpscott wrote:I feel like I'm the olny one that can't stand death metal or anger music as I call it. If I can't understand the lyrics, then I just can't get into it. I respect those guys that play it. The drummer from Slayer, damn. But, I prefer music to be relaxing, good for sex, conducive to study, or just happy...no thrashing around and being pissed. Not my cup of tea...
I think I'm speaking for every metalfan on this board when I say that metal nowadays is a lot more then just a bunch of 'angry' guitartunes.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Morkulv wrote:Something freaky would be nice. Try these:

http://www.woodcutrecords.com/mp3/cut016_04.mp3

http://www.woodcutrecords.com/mp3/cut016_07.mp3

http://my.opera.com/thekovenant/homes/b ... ew%201.mp3

The Kovenant-preview is recorded with Hellhammer on drums. Its not a drumcomputer. :P
Has anyone managed to listen to these samples?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The first and second was good but I think they would be a bit distracting from the transformation. :wink:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
twirrlacurl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by twirrlacurl »

Metal or rock can be good for expressing a angry mood or a action packed mood. But some shifts might call for something a little more intense. An actual String ensemble or even a symphonic band could create a very intense mood. Adagio for Strings is a good one, it was in the movie Platoon. Well maybe not that exact song but something along those lines would be pretty cool.
Meet me on the tee, it's going down. Meet me on the green it's going down. Anywhere you meet me guaranteed its going down.
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

Morkulv wrote:

The Kovenant-preview is recorded with Hellhammer on drums. Its not a drumcomputer. :P
I did actually, but they are just too hard for me and I can't understand what they are singing/yelling. Although the Kovenant one is interesting. I think Beavis and Butthead would love all three. Just not a Norwegian Black metal fan here.

I respect the musicians that can perform like some of these guys can, but I like my digital stuff, 311, and Rush.

Please don't shoot me!!
camkitsune
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by camkitsune »

Here's a fun challenge: Find the most INAPROPRIATE music possible for a transformation sequence, then get it to work.
I'm not talking a peculiar juxtaposition that somehow manages to work, like in American Werewolf in London, but something truely and completely WRONG for it.
Like Dynamic Symetry off of the BT album. Try setting a TF to THAT and see how it works.
And the wonderful thing about an orchestral soundtrack is that, if you know what you're doing, you can nail any particular mood you want to.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

*pictures TF sequence set to Barbie Girl by Aqua* ... *brain explodes* :blink:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

Is it just me, or does most of this thread just look like people posting up their favorite music, dispite the relevance to a werewolf TF? Don't mind me. Just wondering. (It seems to be getting back on track anyways.)

I stick by the fact that whatever music is placed in the TF sequence will be amont the most memorable in the movie. If it is original music written for the movie, it would work better towards boosting sales for a movie soundtrack. Just simple audience psycology. During times of great emotion in a movie, the music playing reminds that person of that scene long after the movie has been viewed. For instance, what does the The Next Generation theme make you think of, or the Jurassic Park theme? Scenes from the films.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

Well I suppose it could look like a list of everyone's favorite music, but the thread almost insists that you talk about your favorites. I mentioned Rush and I really didn't intend to for fear that I would be ridiculed.

However, I think that Broon's Bane by Rush would be very interesting as music to complement a TF.

In the spirit of making things fun, my idea for an inappropriate song would be Warrant's "Cherry Pie." :o :D

Please don't shoot me!!
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Herpscott wrote:
Morkulv wrote:

I did actually, but they are just too hard for me and I can't understand what they are singing/yelling. Although the Kovenant one is interesting. I think Beavis and Butthead would love all three. Just not a Norwegian Black metal fan here.

I respect the musicians that can perform like some of these guys can, but I like my digital stuff, 311, and Rush.
Don't you think lyrics would be distracting in a TF-scene?

And what did you find "hard" on the first 2 samples (samples taken from the band "Trollheim's Grott")? The vocals? The drums? Just wondering... I know about 20 bands that are much "louder" then Trollheim's Grott for that matter. Trollheim's Grott is not that hard to get into I think, personal opinions aside.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

camkitsune wrote:Here's a fun challenge: Find the most INAPROPRIATE music possible for a transformation sequence, then get it to work.
You should check out the samples I posted.
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

Morkulv wrote:
Herpscott wrote:
Morkulv wrote:

Don't you think lyrics would be distracting in a TF-scene?

And what did you find "hard" on the first 2 samples (samples taken from the band "Trollheim's Grott")? The vocals? The drums? Just wondering... I know about 20 bands that are much "louder" then Trollheim's Grott for that matter. Trollheim's Grott is not that hard to get into I think, personal opinions aside.
Yes, Lyrics would be distracting. Of everything, I would choose instrumental pieces, even if the choice was between something edgy and meaty without lyrics versus a mellow piece with contrived lyrics.

I cannot reallly put my finger on why I dislike that style of music. In reality, the drummer gets respect because I know what they are doing is NOT easy. I think it might be just personality. I don't care for the aggressive nature of certain things. For example, dog fights and the punking that occurs in Football. All of that is just male posturing and the tough guy crap pisses me off.

Also, just because there are even harder and more angry bands than the samples you've posted, doesn't mean that they are soft and mellow. All these adjectives are relative. Rush is hard compared to say Enya. And Metallica is soft and wimpy compared to Dimmu Borgir. Then there is the pseudo-angry crap like Limp Triscuit or whatever the hell that's in a category all it's own.

And by no means are the samples crap! They have their place and I'm sure that there are people, outside of the musicians themselves that performed it, that DO like that stuff. Music is very primal and emotional. I am not an angry person nor do I like to be, therefor I stray away from styles that make me so. On rare occasion every now and again, I will listen to some of what I have dubbed "Angry music." Just depends on the mood I am in.

With regard to the thread at hand, I believe a metal soundtrack to a werewolf movie might be a great metaphor for the angst and bottled up rage style of WW. I am getting tired of that style of WW and would like to see something creepy or majestic without it being forced at me with an assaulting soundtrack.

Please don't shoot me!!
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I was very surprised to see Sigur Ros mentioned earlier in thei discussion, but I think it's a very good choice.

Sigur Ros (pronounced "See-or Rose.") is an Icelandic Post-Rock band, that I think has a very ethereal sound. A notable trait of the band is also that the lead singer sings in a fey-like Falsetto. I find it increasingly hard to describe the music, But I think most of the songs would contribute to the surreal mood of the first-shift.

This might not fit the mood, but I find it an amazing song by them.(It's also in the Children of Men Trailer, if any of you have seen that.)

Here's a Live Video of one of my Favourite Songs by them.

Website, that includes samples.

(And Scott, reading some of your posts earlier in this thread; You must have a great taste in music. Loreena is an awesome woman.)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Any Jimi Hendrix song, namely Voodo Child and his rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner. His stuff can have either a good 'r bad acid trip feel, dependin' on the nature of the transformation. Plus, anyone who's listened to the latter knows that wit Jimi, a song could do a complete 180 and turn into somethin completely different.

Jimi Hendrix-Star Spangled Banner
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

outwarddoodles wrote:I was very surprised to see Sigur Ros mentioned earlier in thei discussion, but I think it's a very good choice.

Sigur Ros (pronounced "See-or Rose.") is an Icelandic Post-Rock band, that I think has a very ethereal sound. A notable trait of the band is also that the lead singer sings in a fey-like Falsetto. I find it increasingly hard to describe the music, But I think most of the songs would contribute to the surreal mood of the first-shift.

This might not fit the mood, but I find it an amazing song by them.(It's also in the Children of Men Trailer, if any of you have seen that.)

Here's a Live Video of one of my Favourite Songs by them.

Website, that includes samples.

(And Scott, reading some of your posts earlier in this thread; You must have a great taste in music. Loreena is an awesome woman.)
Thanks. I like what I like and I might get a little over passionate about music. I can't play a damned instrument (wish I could), but I do know a little about music and the meat of it. I prefer complex stuff at some times, and then sometimes I want something simple and repetitive like trance. I appreciate bands that mix styles and try different things. I am a fan of rhythm and appreciate the bass guitar and drums/percussion. Chad Sexton, Neil Peart, and Carter Beauford are all just amazing percussionists that I wish I could emulate.

I have my favorite bands and in my own private movie theater (in my mind) I use them for my movie. There is likely something out there that is absolutely perfect and I hope that Freeborn uses it, AND that I have never heard it!

Cool Sigur Ros videos - never thought to look there for their stuff! And yes, Loreena is just amazing!

Please don't shoot me!!
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Herpscott wrote:Thanks. I like what I like and I might get a little over passionate about music. I can't play a damned instrument (wish I could), but I do know a little about music and the meat of it. I prefer complex stuff at some times, and then sometimes I want something simple and repetitive like trance. I appreciate bands that mix styles and try different things. I am a fan of rhythm and appreciate the bass guitar and drums/percussion. Chad Sexton, Neil Peart, and Carter Beauford are all just amazing percussionists that I wish I could emulate.

I have my favorite bands and in my own private movie theater (in my mind) I use them for my movie. There is likely something out there that is absolutely perfect and I hope that Freeborn uses it, AND that I have never heard it!

Cool Sigur Ros videos - never thought to look there for their stuff! And yes, Loreena is just amazing!
There's a lot of really cool Sigur Ros stuff all over You-Tube, including music videos -- I decided not to post the music video version of either of these songs in hopes that the listeners here could figure out the mood themselves. You Tube is an amazing resource, check it all out!

I think Sigur Ros is simple, yet complex, both in its own right, and it's a music I can listen to in just about every mood. But yes, I have my own varying tastes in music myself, and I love complex percussion beats -- I think I might try listening to some of those percussionists you mentioned.

And if you like music so much, I would seriously recommend getting the experiance ofplaying some type of instrument - Any instrument. Take piano or percussion or guitar lessons, or buy yourself a tin whistle and learn how to play it online. Anything to get yourself playing an instrument. I'm not absolutely amazing at playing my instruments, the flute and piano, but it's great for the mind, and sometimes you can play tunes from your favourite songs.
:D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Well......after 9 pages of reading I guess I might as well jump on in. As much as I love Death/Thrash/Speed/Black Metal, I don't know how well they'd fit into a tranformation scene unless it was in some really cheesy, hokey B-Grade horror movie where the werewolf is some eeeeeeeeeeeevil satan worshipper who lives in an all painted black apartment with the walls covered in pentagrams & inverted crosses and spends all day listening to Deicide rant about how much they have an orgasm whenever they think of satan. Now....this might be kind of an odd choice (I don't remember seeing it posted anywhere else here), but I think maybe some nice Taiko Drum piece would work. Maybe not for a transformation scene (but you could possibly pull it off), but I think it'd DEFINATELY work for a cool stalking/chase scene. Check out the scene with the drummers early on in "Rising Sun", I was watching it & thought "wow....THAT would be cool for a dramatic chase scene" Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously