An apology to furry fans

The place for anything at all...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

An apology to furry fans

Post by MattSullivan »

I don't want any of you guys to get the impression I dislike furries. I have had ahand in the last few threads that sorta pointed out the worst aspects of the fandom. My concern was ONLY that werewolf movies would forever be lumped into that furry category. Not because furries are bad, but it's tough enough to sell a movie script without having to worry what some suspicious producer will think of it.

I've been in animation meetings where the topic was brought up. It actually made me wait TEN YEARS before getting the courage to decide to pitch CAMP LYCANTHROPE around. The attitude never made sense to me, because hey, who cares if a furry fan wants to see your movie. If he/she likes it, then he/she will probably spend all their disposable income on merchandise LOL.

Just so you know there's no dark feelings on my part. Just concerns.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

its all good Matt... your cool no harm... :D
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

Many furries care. I don't. :P

But we don't get enough in the way of apologies, so keep 'em coming. :lol: I keed.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

The furry stereotype is changing dramatically lately. Perhaps eventually it may be seen as an acceptable movie subject by producers. CL is not a furry movie, but at least if furry stuff become a buyer's market, it will sell the movie more effectively.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Hopefully an intelligent studio will remember that the purpose of a studio is to make a profit. If furries will see the movie and buy the DVD, then there's a market waiting to be tapped.

And, that goes to therianthropy, too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

what brought this on?
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Fenrir wrote:what brought this on?
Which cave have you been hiding in lately? I'm pretty sure it was this: http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=4946
In_Cruce_Salus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by In_Cruce_Salus »

Ah yes, "furry bashing". Being a furry myself I have seen furry bashing. Heck, look at truechristian.com (mock church site), SomethingAwful, and the whole Burned Fur fiasco.
But, even looking back at the pertinent discussions here at The Pack, I have found little to no true furry bashing. Just a collection of opinions that occasionally get out of hand and are misinterpreted.
Yeah, furries are weird. Yeah, a lot of them are pretty darn creepy. So are die-hard werewolf fans. But any member of any group who cannot take a little criticism that is not even meant to be offensive really should go back to preschool and mature a bit.
You shouldn't have to apologise for expressing your opinions.
Initial Here: ___
Here: ___
And Here: ___

Sign on the dotted line: .................................
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:Hopefully an intelligent studio will remember that the purpose of a studio is to make a profit. If furries will see the movie and buy the DVD, then there's a market waiting to be tapped.

And, that goes to therianthropy, too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I think the issue is not who would be attracted by a "furry" movie, but who would shun and refuse to see a "furry" movie. Don't forget that Freeborn is already faced with the presumption of being a typical horror movie, and last I checked, the great majority of monster movie theatergoers only want to see violent death scenes.

In other words, the very people most likely to see this movie are also the ones most prone to furry bashing. A lot of them are going to call this a furry movie just because it's about werewolves that don't engage in massive amounts of bloodshed, and even more people naturally draw a connection between furries and therians anyway. And besides, anyone that would take interest in the furry feedback of this movie is probably going to see it anyway.

So even though I'm a furry and damn proud of it, I not only do not take offense Matt, I agree with you. We already know there are furries in our numbers, and the fandom at large already knows about the Freeborn project, so the only attention associating Freeborn with furry directly like that will get is the negative kind. The Brownriggs are going to have a hard enough time selling this as a drama without them having to answer to furry bashing.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Set wrote:
Fenrir wrote:what brought this on?
Which cave have you been hiding in lately? I'm pretty sure it was this: http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=4946
the cave of endless school homework :cry:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Fenrir wrote:the cave of endless school homework :cry:
Ah, I know that cave. Sucks to be there.

Well as far as I go repetitive = annoying, and I'm pretty sure everyone here knows by now I'm not gonna keep my beak shut when I feel like saying something. There are weirdoes in every fandom. I know that. I don't hate you for pointing that out, Matt. I'm just sick of hearing about them.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I would at least wish for my furry friends not to go to into public with me while wearing ears and a tail. :cry: It's kind of embarrassing. Don't yall agree? Unless its at a convention, it doesn't seem sensible. :|
-Kaebora
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

jigga-what?! go in public without ears and a tail?! how is that possible?! i love wearin stuffs like that in public!

and it's jus as sensible as any other fashion or whatever. are high-heels really all that sensible for women to wear? peeps what go out in public with their friends who are weaing high-heels aren't embarassed. it's basically the same thing, if you aks me.

an i'm not sure what's so embarrassing about it. i mean, it's not like you're the one dressed like an animal and surrounded by peeps what aren't, kaebora.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Nachoboy makes a good point; the whole point of high heels is to lie about your height, no different from wearing fake ears and a tail. The problem is that fashion in general is an industry which defies reason on a daily basis.

Think about it. Clothing manufacturers have brainwashed their consumers into paying more for clothing that has their corporate logo plastered across it. There's no logic in paying so the company will use you as a billboard, but fashion is all about turning logic on its head. That's why we need to leave our ears and tails off for now.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Terastas wrote:Nachoboy makes a good point; the whole point of high heels is to lie about your height
I agree more with Jeff Foxworthy's reasoning for it: "Make [women's] legs and butt look good." Doesn't work with tails and ears. Although I don't think your reasoning of why women wear high heels does, either...

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I never said I knew why it is embarrassing. For some reason unknown to me, I get uncomfortable when people give my friends strange looks. Tis all.
:)
-Kaebora
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I can understand what Matt means by the way some furries act. Anime fans act the exact same way at times and sometimes I feel a embarresed to be near them and talking to them when ever they do something stupid or bad timing.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Anime fans indeed were all viewed with the same level of scrutiny back in the early 90's. Suddenly, being an anime fan turned into a fad, and the stereotype changed just as suddenly. The same thing is inevitably going to happen with the Furry fandom soon enough.
-Kaebora
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

its all about individuality...and being an individual and not a carbon copy of someone else is what being free and a human is all about.......... i get looks all the time when i wear my collar....but screw them....they dont like it ...too bad...not there place to like and understand me and my ways.. :D
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

esactly! that's esactly what i think, white paw! i don't care what they think of me, it's not their place to judge me! i mean, it can be a whole lot of fun seein their surprised faces and how they react when i wear a tail/ears/whatever, but no! i don't care what they think! not at all!
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

At any rate, best case scenario for Freeborn would be something similar to what happened with the movies Zodiac and Monster. The first weekend will be dominated by dumb slasher fans that will quit on it within a week, but before that happens, the many film reviewers in America will go to it and, since they'll all likely go expecting a dumb slasher movie, will all at least say it was a lot better than they expected. We can be as furry as we please once the smart crowd moves in, but the opening weekend crowd I think will be a lot more fickle.