The religious impact

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

The religious impact

Post by Anubis »

If werewolves came out to the public, what repercussions would there be on the religious world?

Like, what would religious leaders (I.E. the pope, the Mormon prophet, ETC) say about Lycanthropes? The reactions of people of different religions, and religious atmospheres?

It's no doubt the militant Islamic fanatics in the middle east would declare genocide. Calling them demons and such.

The crazy bible thumpers here would probably say the same thing, and use the KKK or make a supremacist group of their own to do so.

And me being LDS (or Mormon) i think that, our prophet would probably be accepting of them, and tell the members to do so as well. Seeing that they are natural, but looking down on being "bitten" on purpose because god made them as a human, and such.
THE GAME

My Armory
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

I dont know much about religions, but i think that in the Catholic/Christian world, lycanthropes are seen as demons from Hell.
(Please correct me if i am wrong.)

Religious extremist groups such as Al-Queda (spelling on that?) would probably try to recruit lycans and try to become ones themselves to aid in their terror plots.

Myself, being Atheist, would not have a problem with them, and I'm sure most Atheists wouldnt.

The pope...hard to say for me since I dont know much about religions at all. He is the..Catholic leader, right? I don't think he will be too welcome to them, seeing it as a sign of Armageddon. (That is, if what i stated above is true)

And now im going to stop before i offend anyone with my cluelessness of religions :D
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I think spongy has a point
seeing it as a sign of Armageddon.
at lest with that. There is this stigma about the anti-christ, or the beast with the number 666 (or 616). I think a lot of christians would take the term "beast" literaly, and think the anti-christ would come from the lycanthropic community.

Therefore a lot discrimination would come from the belief that a werewolf is going to the anti-christ that would single handedly tear the world apart.
THE GAME

My Armory
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

probably see them as the spwns of there satan.. :)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

spongypants23 wrote: Religious extremist groups such as Al-Queda (spelling on that?) would probably try to recruit lycans and try to become ones themselves to aid in their terror plots.

Myself, being Atheist, would not have a problem with them, and I'm sure most Atheists wouldnt.
I'm no expert on Islam, but I doubt the Muslims, even the ones involved in terrorism, would have more welcoming arms than Christians or such. Hell, the ones involved with terrorism - being mostly of the ignorant, fanatical type, would probably be more apt to open fire. Their organizations, from what I know, tend to employ only those who believe in the cause, so welcoming any werewolf with open arms wouldn't be happening. They want believers, not beasts.

But, I'm no expert on Terrorists, heh.

Athiests could easily have problems with 'em, too. Perhaps more from a "OMG, infectious disease!" kind of way, though.
wolfsangel
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: if i sing a song will you sing along?...

had to throw my two cents in

Post by wolfsangel »

well i agree with pretty much all of what is said here. me being a christian, i know for a reasonable fact that most, if not all christians would freak out and say that lycans are against Gods "ultimate plan" or say that they are an abomination. :evil: the shintos, buddhist, and hindus would probably accept them as well as the atheists groups. for me, though i am "christian" :P i prefer to beleive in the Bible and even then i am very weary of what the Church may have manipulated( they do it all the time) this is also why i never go to church, to many sermins tell you the wrong messages. :x
...or will i just be singing right here by myself.
come on down!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I suspect that with all religions, there'd be the people who wanted all the Werewolves dead (thus proving themselves to be hypocrites) and then there'd be the ones that would say- Ooooh! Converts! :o

If the S*lv*tion *rmy guy had lots of teeth, and sharp claws; you'd drop that money in the Kettle, wouldn't you? :lol:

Fact is there are Haters, Lovers and I-don't-giveadamners all over, in all religions, and some of them are in power and some aren't. :P

That's my take on the matter... :)
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It would pretty much be divided evenly between the fanatical and the spiritual. Religious fanatics (militant Islam, Jerry Falwell, etc) would declare them demons, abominations, etc. and call for the "cleansing" of all "demonkind and their ilk" (IE: werewolf supporters). People belonging to more relaxed and inoffensive religions (Episcopal, Neo-Pagan, etc.) would preach compassion and understanding, and some more nature-based religions (especially Wiccans and totemic religions) might even go as far as willingly becoming infected. You'd see a lot of people in the "business" of religion preaching against werewolves, either condemning them or offering faith healing to "cure" them.

The hardest to judge are the figureheads of organized religion. The Islamic Princes I'm positive would be fiercely opposed to the existence of werewolves, but I think the Pope would take his time forming an opinion. The most I think he'd do immediately is denounce all the bloodthirsty religious leaders that were quick to denounce them.
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

spongypants23 wrote:I dont know much about religions, but i think that in the Catholic/Christian world, lycanthropes are seen as demons from Hell.
(Please correct me if i am wrong.)

Religious extremist groups such as Al-Queda (spelling on that?) would probably try to recruit lycans and try to become ones themselves to aid in their terror plots.

The pope...hard to say for me since I dont know much about religions at all. He is the..Catholic leader, right? I don't think he will be too welcome to them, seeing it as a sign of Armageddon. (That is, if what i stated above is true)

And now im going to stop before i offend anyone with my cluelessness of religions :D
i dunno that i really know much bout this or really have any sort of importance or real "knowledge" on the subject, but i dunno that lycanthropes are really seen as demons to Catholics. i mean, i AM Catholic, and i don't think i've ever heard any of that sort of thing before.

i'm not sayin that there would be no Catholics what was like, "man, they's demons. let's kill 'em and send 'em back to heck where they belong," but not erybody in the Catholic religion would be like that. most of the Catholics i know are like, "werewolves may be peeps what's cursed, but they's not evil or demons, that's for sure." i mean, i talk to my friends, Catholic or not, about werewolves all the time.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Dunno what the Jewish community's reaction would be.

Same thing with Islam. Bet extremists would blame the western world fer these unclean monsters.

There would definitely be some Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant extremists callin' ta cleanse the worlds of Satan's accursed hounds. Heck, people get dangerously fanatical when somethin' trivial like a dude fallin' for another dude happens. I don't roll that way, but I ain't ever for launchin' another Final Solution against 'em, like a lot of religion nazis these days are rallyin' for. I even know people who would condemn anybody they found out owned a ouiji board er read a Harry Potter book.

How do ya think they're gonna react when find out people are turnin' into wolves?
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

-Laughs pretty hard-

If werewolves appeared to religious people, there'd be an uproar.

On the other end of the spectrum, if we are all God's, or Alah's, or whatever's children, then they might simply be accepted. Or, the curse forcefully removed (an attempt anyway) to repent for a sin and rescue the person. It could happen either way. It could also be an extermination.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
blaidd-ddyn
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Wolves Curse

Post by blaidd-ddyn »

I am deeply religious (Catholic), and yet I do not see werewolves as the spawn of Satan. I know there would be those that would, but certainly not myself, I would rather welcome them...
(That goes for other "spawns of Satan" too, like Dragons... :D )
I'm the Invisble Man
Incredible how you can
see right through me
wolfsangel
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: if i sing a song will you sing along?...

Post by wolfsangel »

im seeing X-men 1,2,&3 all over again( they had the stories right in those movies :lol:
...or will i just be singing right here by myself.
come on down!
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

So apparently I was wrong about the Catholics. Sorry folks! No offense meant to anyone.

Aki, you have a point there. Extremists would probably try to get rid of them. However it would make sense to me if they tried to infect themselves to gain the advantages of being a lycanthrope. I guess that would make them hypocrites? (I don't know if hypocrite was the right word there, sorry.)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Excuse me, but i think you folks totally neglected the progressive muslims and progressive-whatever-one-assigns-faith to. :<

Unless, of course, if they don't count.
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

kitetsu wrote:Excuse me, but i think you folks totally neglected the progressive muslims and progressive-whatever-one-assigns-faith to. :<

I was just assumin' they'd be open-minded and pretty accepting. "People can turn into wolves? Okay sure, why not. [Insert omnipotent being of choice here] bless you and welcome to modern society!"
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

spongypants23 wrote:So apparently I was wrong about the Catholics. Sorry folks! No offense meant to anyone.

Aki, you have a point there. Extremists would probably try to get rid of them. However it would make sense to me if they tried to infect themselves to gain the advantages of being a lycanthrope. I guess that would make them hypocrites? (I don't know if hypocrite was the right word there, sorry.)
Extremists don't seem the type to think pragmatically. They go to the extremes. Blowing yourself up, for example, isn't always practical. Some people are more useful alive than as a walking bomb, afterall.
kitetsu wrote:Excuse me, but i think you folks totally neglected the progressive muslims and progressive-whatever-one-assigns-faith to. :<

To an extent they don't count because they have the most predictable reaction of all. Either indifference or varying degrees of acceptance.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

I'm keeping my mouth firmly shut on this one :|
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

lupine wrote:I'm keeping my mouth firmly shut on this one :|

same here.....its gettin thick quick... :roll:
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

i should probably pull outta here as well, i dont want to end up insulting anybody.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

The Religious to the Extreme! People would like werewolf genocide I think...or cure them of their 'curse'. Many would think the end of the world is coming.
I'd think just about all religions would be anti-werewolf. (Inquisition anyone?) Except maybe Buddhists and Pagan groups. (or Satanist groups) :P
Its human nature to fear (and try to destroy) what you dont understand.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Templar wrote:Dunno what the Jewish community's reaction would be.
I think they would support werewolves, though not necessarily for religious reasons.

For one thing, Jews and Muslims have two very different systems of classification. For Islam, everything is divided up into pure and impure -- wolves are considered evil under Islam. Jews, on the other hand, have the kosher system; if an animal is considered non-kosher, it means it is considered cruel to kill and consume one. The way werewolves would be viewed initially would therefore be very different.

More importantly, in Israel, religion isn't nearly as synonymous with the law as it is in their neighboring fundamentalist Muslim countries. Militant Islam has already called for the destruction of Israel, so if they call for the eradication of werewolves, that puts Jews and werewolves on the same page. They wouldn't even need to consider werewolves from a religious perspective -- both of them would have every reason to support the other.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The Fundamentalist movements would see werewolves as evil. It's not hard to picture guys like Jerry Falwell proclaiming werewolves as the Beast of Revelations and proof that the End Times are here. Islamic Fundamentalism would be just as militant, because something that could turn you into an unclean animal species and forever bar you from Heaven wouldn't be a happy revelation.

After about 20 or 30 years, the lack of an actual Apocalypse (I can see an aging John Stewart holding up a copy of the old Werewolf: the Apocalypse role-playing game) would undermine some of the credibility of the Fundamentalist Christian stance. That, and their opposition to lycanthropic civil rights becoming increasingly comparable to racism and sexism, might cause a general shift away from Fundamentalist beliefs and more towards a more intelligent, open-minded, and science-friendly direction among Christianity.

My own Wiccan faith would see lycanthropy as part of a resurgence of magic. There has been a feeling over the past few years that magic in the world has been waning. Having real-life werewolves popping up would be seen as part of a new revitalization. In my stories, this is commonly referred to among nature worshippers as the "Awakening."

Early on as werewolves first appeared, I suspect a lot of cult weirdness might happen. Some might consist of werewolf packs that isolate themselves into the wilderness, while others might consist of religious loonies convinced that werewolves were taking over the world. Mass suicides, victimization scams, and the like could emerge out of either end, as some rather bizarre and paranoid notions gained brief momentum.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Scott Gardener wrote:The Fundamentalist movements would see werewolves as evil. It's not hard to picture guys like Jerry Falwell proclaiming werewolves as the Beast of Revelations and proof that the End Times are here. Islamic Fundamentalism would be just as militant, because something that could turn you into an unclean animal species and forever bar you from Heaven wouldn't be a happy revelation.

After about 20 or 30 years, the lack of an actual Apocalypse (I can see an aging John Stewart holding up a copy of the old Werewolf: the Apocalypse role-playing game) would undermine some of the credibility of the Fundamentalist Christian stance. That, and their opposition to lycanthropic civil rights becoming increasingly comparable to racism and sexism, might cause a general shift away from Fundamentalist beliefs and more towards a more intelligent, open-minded, and science-friendly direction among Christianity.

My own Wiccan faith would see lycanthropy as part of a resurgence of magic. There has been a feeling over the past few years that magic in the world has been waning. Having real-life werewolves popping up would be seen as part of a new revitalization. In my stories, this is commonly referred to among nature worshippers as the "Awakening."

Early on as werewolves first appeared, I suspect a lot of cult weirdness might happen. Some might consist of werewolf packs that isolate themselves into the wilderness, while others might consist of religious loonies convinced that werewolves were taking over the world. Mass suicides, victimization scams, and the like could emerge out of either end, as some rather bizarre and paranoid notions gained brief momentum.
Are you sure you're not using elements of your lycanthrope series to back up all this?
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

What he said is in his series, because that is a very probable outcome. It could very well be like that, if werewolves were real and society knew about them.