Stargate Series (SG-1 & Atlantis)

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.

Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis?

SG-1 all the way!
91%
Atlantis for me!
9%

Total votes: 11

Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Stargate Series (SG-1 & Atlantis)

Post by Spongy »

Does anyone here other than me watch the Stargate series?

I don't see how people can't like it. Who doesn't love sci-fi with Goa'uld alien butt-kicking! (And let's not forget the Ori and the Wraith!)

If I had to choose between SG-1 and Atlantis, I'd say I like SG-1 more, it's funnier and more action-packed. But sadly, the final season is coming up, and then there will be nothing but reruns. So sad!

So..my question for YOU is:
If you watch the shows, do you prefer SG-1 or Atlantis, and why?
NetherMoon
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by NetherMoon »

ME! *___*
But I saw it not completely.
I think I prefer SG1, but is more a matter of feelings than something more objective...
NetherMoon

Respect Those Beneath Ye - All Are of Gaia
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

SG1 all they way baby!!! :howl:  :oo

Too bad it got canceled :( :cry:
THE GAME

My Armory
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I haven't seen Atlantis, but whatever. Go SG-1.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Stargate Series (SG-1 & Atlantis)

Post by Vuldari »

spongypants23 wrote:I don't see how people can't like it.
If you happen to like good acting and genuinely interesting plotlines that don't all play out like lame fan-fiction stories, (which every episode of both series do), it's very EASY to not like either show.

The movie was only okay, so I just don't understand why the franchise has so many fans. ...of which I am not.

(I feel more or less the same about nearly every fantasy/sci-fi show from the past decade, from Farscape to Buffy to SmallVille. I guess people just like bad shows, because there sure are alot of them. ...and I LOVE Fantasy/Sci-Fi... )

"Neither" is not an option, so I can not vote.
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Vuldari wrote:
If you happen to like good acting and genuinely interesting plotlines that don't all play out like lame fan-fiction stories, (which every episode of both series do), it's very EASY to not like either show.

The movie was only okay, so I just don't understand why the franchise has so many fans. ...of which I am not.

(I feel more or less the same about nearly every fantasy/sci-fi show from the past decade, from Farscape to Buffy to SmallVille. I guess people just like bad shows, because there sure are alot of them. ...and I LOVE Fantasy/Sci-Fi... )

*GASP*

You blasphemous pig-dog!

...Ah, whatever.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Shun teh non-believer! Bwahahah!

:P
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

To be fair, Bad Acting is pretty much universal for ALL Fantasy/Sci-Fi shows, even the good ones...but come on...

At least StarTrek (besides Enterprise), and X-Files had unique, memorable characters and good stories.

...these shows just SCREAM "fan fiction" every time I watch them. Maybe that is why they are popular...because the stories play out the way the audience (most of which whom are not talented storytellers themselves) would have written it.

Personally...I can't stand it. They are just so predictable, and cliche...and utterly forgettable.

Could someone explain to me what you like about these shows?...I just can't see the attraction. Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

SG-1 is one of the longest running Sci-Fi shows in history. It even beat Star Trek: NG for total running time. I'm suprised it hasn't been canceled already. In this case I can say the show is being "retired". The studios love shows that make money, and alas SG1 has run for longer than the actors and crew are willing to bear. Well, time to buy the complete series on DVD!

SG-1 is better than Atlantis because it's the original. Atlantis will always be "just a spin-off" by comparison.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Vuldari wrote:

that's uncharacteristically rude of you

I'am SG1 all the way
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Fenrir wrote:
Vuldari wrote:

that's uncharacteristically rude of you

I'am SG1 all the way
It just means he dislikes the Sci-Fi genre it seems. Doesn't mean anything about how well the shows were written, or that the shows are bad at all. However, Farscape and Buffy ARE crappy in my opinion. (Smallville started to get bad in the later seasons.)

What about the new Battlestar Galatica? I adore that show because it focuses more on the drama, and never on the pointless techical jargen. And overall seems most realistic as far as Sci-Fi is concerned. It already beats SG-1 in audience size.
-Kaebora
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Vuldari wrote:Could someone explain to me what you like about these shows?...I just can't see the attraction. Image
I've seen a couple of episodes of "Stargate" and quite enjoyed them. More notable of the two was an episode that centred around a time-loop... I was impressed by the way that particular one was written. Once they showed how the loop worked, instead of going over the mechanics over and over again, they showed just snippets of each loop to show how many times the characters were re-living each day. And in all that they found time to be quite amusing (playing golf into the stargate, etc.)

"Stargate" might not be a patch on "Doctor Who", but from what I've seen it's still a watchable show in its own right.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

SG-1 for me too :lol: that was so much better than Atlantis... :)
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Kaebora wrote:
Fenrir wrote: that's uncharacteristically rude of you

I'am SG1 all the way
It just means he dislikes the Sci-Fi genre it seems. Doesn't mean anything about how well the shows were written, or that the shows are bad at all. However, Farscape and Buffy ARE crappy in my opinion. (Smallville started to get bad in the later seasons.)

What about the new Battlestar Galatica? I adore that show because it focuses more on the drama, and never on the pointless techical jargen. And overall seems most realistic as far as Sci-Fi is concerned. It already beats SG-1 in audience size.
No, I LOVE Sci-Fi. The New Battlestar Galactica is pretty good, but I never remember to watch it when it's on, so I have no idea what's going on when I do.

StarTrek:NTG was one of my favorite TV series ever (and still is), and I liked DS9 and Voyager too, but not Enterprise. The original is Classic.

I like the old and new Dr. Who about equally, but was never a HUGE fan. Red Dwarf was a riot. I was a loyal X-Files fan up until the very end, but it closed in a very disappointing way, so I can't really say I'm still a fan any more. It's just not as good as I remember it when I watch the re-runs, (and yet ST and ST:TNG are).

I'm sorry if I seem rude, but I'm just calling it as I see it.

It's like, a 40 year old man picked up a crayon and drew a stick man standing by a house with a smiley face sun in the sky and then hordes of people began praising it as one of the best abstract works of art since Picasso.

...and I'm just like...

"...What the **** are you talking about?! ...are you looking at something different than I am?... because I see nothing good here"

I'm just confused is all. I keep trying to give these shows a chance, but the best I ever see is stuff that makes me think "Hunh...well, that episode was actually half way decent"...but never anything to make me believe the show deserved to see a second season, let alone whatever they are up to now.

...I have a horrible feeling about the upcoming live-action StarWars TV series. Because low production value Sci fi randomness (SG-1, SG-A) and whiny stupid teen-centric drama (SmallVille, Buffy, etc.) are so popular, and because George Lucas seemed to forget how to make anything good after the 80's, that is exactly what that show is likely going to be.

...whiny annoying teenage aliens and jedi-wannabes doing random stuff with StarWars technology...with teenage Wookies and Droids that act less like AI than robotic Jerry Lewis clones...

*Shudders*
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Maybe I'm just looking for a better explaination as to why you dislike SG-1. You can't say something sucks without having a reason. Tis a law of opinion. Those opinions came from somewhere.

For me SG-1 is entertaining, but not the best display of acting and writing on TV. Too much talk about made up technologies and stereotypical good vs evil stuff. No chance to see things from a more dynamic perspective presents itself. Just once I'd like an episode of SG-1 to be a walk in the enemy's shoes, where you can almost gain some sympathy for why they are "evil". That's really my only peeve with the show. Everything else is kick @$$.
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I suppose I could watch a few episodes and take notes and explain everything I think the show does wrong (or more correctly, fails to do right), but that would be a waste of time.

Really, haven't you ever seen a movie or read a book and at the end you had nothing to say but, "well...that sucked"?

Are ANY of the characters half as unique and memorable as Data, Fox Mulder, Dr. Who, Spock, The Cigarette Smoking Man, Captain Picard, etc...?

(Seriously...ANY character...does either show have even ONE standout character that is interesting enough to draw NEW fans in with? ...or just the standard fare stereotypes...the military man, the eccentric scientist, the obligatory attractive female, the reserved "reality check" character that puts the others eccentricities into perspective, etc... )

Has there EVER been an episode of EITHER show which people are still talking about more than a month after it first aired?

Aside from occasional good use of SFX (which is par for the course nowadays, where everyone is doing CG), can you think of anything to compliment the show about. (And NO...thinking one of the actors/actresses is attractive does not count.)

So far, the only example that has been used to defend the show was simply a statement that they used a "Montage" to show the events of a time-skip storyline. ...ummm...that's a standard presentation technique. There is nothing impressive or unique about that.

It's just a middle of the road, nothing special, "does nothing terribly wrong, but does nothing really great either", average cookie cutter sci-fi series.

It's nothing special, and I just can't see anything about it worth being a fan of. It's mildly entertaining if there is nothing else on TV, but I can't see myself ever CARING if I missed a new episode.

...now, ST:TNG on the other hand...the cliffhanger where they sent Data to the Past and then found his head in the Cave...I've never been more anxious to see the next episode of a series since then.

The characters in SG-1 and SG-A are so generic and forgettable to me that if one of them was killed off, they could just replace them with another character of the same stereotype role, and the series could continue on without a hiccup.

...going back to TNG again, when they killed off Tasha Yar, people cared. Later in the Series when Data was seen looking at a hologram of her in private, you really got a sense of the impact her character had, even during the short run she was on.

Why do I not like SG-1?

...because it just does not stand up against shows that actually ARE good. Compare it to ANY genuinely good show, and you should be able to plainly see that they are just not in the same league.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I don't really HATE either show...I just think they are both WAY WAY overrated.

For example...I loved "Knight Rider" back in the 80's...but I do not claim that the show was actually any good, or that David Hasselhoff could act. I just loved Kitt, the Coolest car ever imagined, and that is all I watched it for.

The "STARGATE" itself, as it is interpreted for this franchise (space gateways have been done countless times before, but rarely is such a cool looking way), is pretty cool, but the lame characters surrounding it and nonsensical, poorly imagined alien races connected to it just are not.
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Vuldari wrote:I suppose I could watch a few episodes and take notes and explain everything I think the show does wrong (or more correctly, fails to do right), but that would be a waste of time.
Or you could always just accept that quite a lot of people do think "Stargate" is good, and move on to talking about a show you do enjoy watching...
Vuldari wrote:(Seriously...ANY character...does either show have even ONE standout character that is interesting enough to draw NEW fans in with?
Some people follow TV shows for the characters in them. Some people follow them for the scripts and stories. Some people follow them for the special effects. There is no objective measurement for quality in television shows. I'm sure you can think of plenty of quality television shows that only ever lasted a few episodes. "Police Squad". "Firefly". The list goes on...
Vuldari wrote:So far, the only example that has been used to defend the show was simply a statement that they used a "Montage" to show the events of a time-skip storyline. ...ummm...that's a standard presentation technique. There is nothing impressive or unique about that.
I think you misinterpret my motivation here. I wasn't defending the show - of which I have seen all of two episodes! - because, to be honest, I don't think it needs defending. Sure, you don't have any great liking for it. That's simply a statement of fact, not an attack. You just asked what I liked about it. I answered.

And the plot wasn't particularly impressive... but the execution was a lot better done than a few other examples of that plot I've seen. ("Meglos", I'm looking at you.)
Vuldari wrote:It's just a middle of the road, nothing special, "does nothing terribly wrong, but does nothing really great either", average cookie cutter sci-fi series.
Now, if you'd just put it that way at the start, I'd have probably got close to agreeing with you. It's an average, fairly entertaining in small doses, show. But there's a lot of things I'd sooner watch "Stargate" than. (Anyone remember "Space: [s]Between the Ears[/s]... I mean, Above and Beyond"?)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

...all I have left to say is...if you are a fan of either series and think they are great, I think you need to expand your horizons and see what else is on. As far as quality TV goes, there are ALOT of better things to watch, (and quite a few worse as well, admitably).

By the time you are done watching all those better shows, if you are still digging for more to watch by the time you've stooped to settling for programing of such mediocrity, you should probably just turn off the TV and go outside instead.

There are just so many better things to do than watching 3rd rate television. Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Vuldari wrote:...all I have left to say is...if you are a fan of either series and think they are great, I think you need to expand your horizons and see what else is on. As far as quality TV goes, there are ALOT of better things to watch, (and quite a few worse as well, admitably).

By the time you are done watching all those better shows, if you are still digging for more to watch by the time you've stooped to settling for programing of such mediocrity, you should probably just turn off the TV and go outside instead.

There are just so many better things to do than watching 3rd rate television. Image
Well that's not very nice, Vuldari... In fact, it's pretty damn rude. I watch a lot of TV that I consider quality, and I enjoy Stargate SG-1. It's a good, entertaining show. It's no Star Trek, but really, Star Trek had it's own problems. Bad acting, goofy storylines involving things ranging from purring furry balls to reprogrammed satellites which seem to be made of random household objects, hokey special effects (which actually aren't to bad for a low-budget '60s TV series), anything involving bridge shakes, rather poor set design (again, low-budget), etc. Not that I'm bashing Star Trek, it's actually one of my favorite shows. Sure, SG-1 isn't perfect, but neither was Star Trek.
-Jack Handey
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I shrunk all of my responses to illegible size.

They didn't really belong here anyway.

(But I didn't feel right deleting them and pretending I never said what I said)

Like what you want ... whatever ...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Vuldari, it sounds like you're putting us down because we don't watch what you want us to watch..... So what if we'd rather watch SG1 then the history of time.....it's what WE want to do...and YOU can do what YOU want to do, so please refrain from trying to tell people what to do in the future..... :)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

For the record, I was only looking for constructive critizism from Vuldari, and not trying to support some needless argument. He's only expressing opinions. He did nothing wrong. Yall shouldn't get so defensive over a TV show.
:|

SG1 was canceled because the cast and crew wanted to move on to do other things with their lives. End of story. Now lets all just calm down, be friends, and watch The History Channel. Mail Call is awesome.
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Fenrir wrote:Vuldari, it sounds like you're putting us down because we don't watch what you want us to watch..... So what if we'd rather watch SG1 then the history of time.....it's what WE want to do...and YOU can do what YOU want to do, so please refrain from trying to tell people what to do in the future..... :)

At what point in this conversation did I tell anyone to watch the history channel? (Which I actually do alot, but that's beside the point)

I just think it's best to save fanaticism for shows where the actors and creators try a little harder to reach a higher standard of professionalism.

The StarGate franchise has plenty of potential...but neither show is living up to it, IMHO. Again, the best way I can describe it is that it feels like the scripts for the shows are compiled from a stack of generic sci-fi Fan Fiction stories written by 20 year old geeks in someones basement, and not by professional story writers. ...they could do better. ...much better.

...oh...and about the comment about 'purring furry balls'... You know what a Tribble is, don't you? We all do!

Using just a little bit of fluff and some sound effects, the makers of StarTrek created one of the most memorable alien critters in sci-fi history.

With the latest in SFX technology and creature effects at their disposal, the makers of SG1 created...guys with gold things on their foreheads and slugs in their bodies?

The 'StarGate' is cooler than 90% of the gadgets seen on StarTrek, (excluding warp drives, transporters and holodecks), but you know what they say..."It's not what you have...it's what you do with it".

Tribbles > Goa'uld ... FTW!

I would love to see them actually make a GOOD series about the StarGate...but so far, they have failed to impress.
Last edited by Vuldari on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Just out of curiousity how many episodes have you watched?

-Satyricon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Fenrir wrote:Just out of curiousity how many episodes have you watched?

Only about 3 from beginning to end, but I've flipped to and watched at least 15 half way through.

When I watch them from the beginning, I generally change channels mid way through because I am usually left asking myself, "Why the hell am I watching this? ...there HAS to be something better on than this...", and I will occasionally watch the second half of an episode, (from the middle), when I intend to watch what is coming next after it.

The Three I made myself sit though (because both shows have such a large fan base, and I assumed I must be missing something), I can't even remember much about. They were rescuing someone from the Gao'uld, and someone had glowing eyes in one episode, (I could not tell which characters were involved, as they just didn't seem interesting enough to care), and then there was an Episode of Atlantis where the scientist guy had a clone from a parallel reality that popped in and then they worked together on some supposedly awesome invention, but discovered at the last minute that it could destroy the entire universe, so they had to stop it. I'd have to think hard about what the third episode was about. ...I think it had something to do with someone who was possessed, or they had one of the leaders of the enemy as a prisoner and he/she was dying and one of them could communicate psychically with him, but doing so could allow the alien to take over her mind...or something like that.

...the kind of stuff you find in a paperback Sci-fi novel in the bargain bin of a used book store.

...Meh... Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~