Happy Easter! (or whatever you call it!)

The place for anything at all...
Baphnedia

Happy Easter! (or whatever you call it!)

Post by Baphnedia »

I'll be on da road tomorrow... so... here it is a day earlie:
Image Image Image
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Happy Easter! (or whatever you call it!)

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Ah yes, Easter, the day Jesus rose from the dead in Christian stories. Today we celebrate it in a way that most scholars agree is quite relevant: By painting eggs and asking giant bunny rabbits to hide them... Wow, if you think about it, it's almost as scary as Santa (a big fat guy who breaks into your house and leaves things because Jesus told him to).
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

If you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that the rabbits, eggs isn't really Christian at all. As to what the name of the original holiday was, I forgot long ago. The rabbits and the eggs are a part of a festival that deals with fertility, not someone rising from the dead.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Baphnedia wrote:If you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that the rabbits, eggs isn't really Christian at all. As to what the name of the original holiday was, I forgot long ago. The rabbits and the eggs are a part of a festival that deals with fertility, not someone rising from the dead.
Yeah, Christianity took a lot from other religions (to promote conversion, right?). I think it was Christmas that was kind of based around Saturnalia, but with Jesus. My memory or facts could be faulty, though.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
LightPaws
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The 1st Alchemy using WerePomeranian evAr!

Post by LightPaws »

Baphnedia wrote:If you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that the rabbits, eggs isn't really Christian at all. As to what the name of the original holiday was, I forgot long ago. The rabbits and the eggs are a part of a festival that deals with fertility, not someone rising from the dead.
It was a pagan holiday to celebrate the goddess Ishtar, where the name easter comes from
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Ah yes, Easter, the day Jesus rose from the dead in Christian stories. Today we celebrate it in a way that most scholars agree is quite relevant: By painting eggs and asking giant bunny rabbits to hide them... Wow, if you think about it, it's almost as scary as Santa (a big fat guy who breaks into your house and leaves things because Jesus told him to).
Well geez, would you rather see a kid biting the head off of a chocolate crucifix? :wink:
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Terastas wrote:
ravaged_warrior wrote:Ah yes, Easter, the day Jesus rose from the dead in Christian stories. Today we celebrate it in a way that most scholars agree is quite relevant: By painting eggs and asking giant bunny rabbits to hide them... Wow, if you think about it, it's almost as scary as Santa (a big fat guy who breaks into your house and leaves things because Jesus told him to).
Well geez, would you rather see a kid biting the head off of a chocolate crucifix? :wink:
yes :evil:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Terastas wrote:
That sounds good about now. lck
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

you... you.. you mean south park lied to me?! ;)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote:
Well geez, would you rather see a kid biting the head off of a chocolate crucifix?
Yes. Yes I would.

Mhmm.
-Jack Handey
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

*agrees with the above* :lol:

And now a quote from Carlos Mencia:
"Jesus is back! *gasp* Hide the eggs!"
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

White Paw wrote:yes :evil:
Shadow Wulf wrote:That sounds good about now. lck
ravaged_warrior wrote:Yes. Yes I would.

Mhmm.
:?

Any Christians care to comment? It's their holiday after all. :P
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote:
White Paw wrote:yes :evil:
Shadow Wulf wrote:That sounds good about now. lck
ravaged_warrior wrote:Yes. Yes I would.

Mhmm.
:?

Any Christians care to comment? It's their holiday after all. :P
Nah... All the Christians that would be offended by this are busy being offended by Kyle's brutal killing of Jesus on South Park.
-Jack Handey
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

As a baptised Lutheran, I'd have to say that your abhorrence for my religion makes tolerating you lot quite a challenge sometimes. (hence where religious tolerance becomes a two way street)

As the whatever-the-heck I turned out to be, I'd have to say that any religion has it's merits, and that kids biting the heads off of crucifixes is just sick. Not that everybody hasn't done something at least that bad during the course of their lives. Me? I prefer devouring the sugar duckies.

Terastas, the point you led me (or anyone else) to is a brilliant one. Kudos.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Hey, yeah...I was in a candy store a few days ago and got a kick out of seeing chocolate crosses for sale. It would of been pretty bad if their was chocolate Jesus' hanging on them...thats for next year I guess :P

Yes, Peeps! :eatduckie: And Jelly Beans! Choclate egg thingys! Chocolate bunnies lck

Happy Easter!!! :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo

(we need a wolf wearing bunny ears with a colored egg! :D )

I wonder if the old school 'Ten Commandments' is coming on this year. It always used to come on tv on Easter for some reason, so it turned into some werid tradition with me
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Baphnedia wrote:As a baptised Lutheran, I'd have to say that your abhorrence for my religion makes tolerating you lot quite a challenge sometimes. (hence where religious tolerance becomes a two way street)

As the whatever-the-heck I turned out to be, I'd have to say that any religion has it's merits, and that kids biting the heads off of crucifixes is just sick. Not that everybody hasn't done something at least that bad during the course of their lives. Me? I prefer devouring the sugar duckies.

Terastas, the point you led me (or anyone else) to is a brilliant one. Kudos.
Hmmm... There seems to be some anger here, even though you're holding it back. Since you are, though, I feel that you left something out of the post that would help me understand it better. Abhorrence? We were (well, I was) just joking. I personally have no problem with Christians, though I find the way the real meaning of holidays have been twisted are a bit odd. In fact, I found it unfair when I look back to a show I used to watch as a kid, Rugrats, and realized that when they did a special on a Jewish holiday, it showed the origins and the real stories, while during the Christian holidays they went with things like Santa for Christmas and the Easter Bunny for Easter.

However, I'm sorry if I offended you, and I truthfully would not bite the head off of a chocolate Jesus.
-Jack Handey
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Naw, no offense taken. I did write it rather quickly (and have no plans to edit it, partly as a lesson to myself). 'Abhorrence' was not meant to be directed at you, or anyone else personally, but I managed to write it in that way by accident. What I set out to do with that post is to illustrate how some would react to a series of replies.

What's fun about text is that you can never tell when someone's joking or when someone's serious. There are five deadly subjects on the internet that I'm aware of thusfar: Religion, politics, money, people and music. When I read the posts individually, it was no biggie. When Terastas grouped the quotes together though, something in my brain snapped. Imagine the bulging veins popping out of my forehead.

What is important to anyone who comes across something like that is to ensure to redirect the anger at the situation rather than at any individuals involved. That helps to save friendships, and the exhasperation felt when vitrol starts pouring out of someone's bleeding heart. Terastas, again, I compliment you on making my brain snap - I fell right into the point you were illustrating. :) Aaand, lest I forget everyone else for putting up with me - this is one of the better intellectual forums that I count myself a part of. :P
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

....Christos Anesti and all that

but beyond that why would anyone care, I mean it's not like all other religeons don't get made fun of too, ie islam, budhism, and hinduism (with their cows) so there's really no need to get offended....the only thing to be angry about is I MISSED THE EASTER BUNNY SPECIAL SOUTHPARK!!!!!! :cry:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

Silverclaw wrote:Hey, yeah...I was in a candy store a few days ago and got a kick out of seeing chocolate crosses for sale. It would of been pretty bad if their was chocolate Jesus' hanging on them...thats for next year I guess :P

Yes, Peeps! :eatduckie: And Jelly Beans! Choclate egg thingys! Chocolate bunnies lck

Happy Easter!!! :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo

(we need a wolf wearing bunny ears with a colored egg! :D )

I wonder if the old school 'Ten Commandments' is coming on this year. It always used to come on tv on Easter for some reason, so it turned into some werid tradition with me
The Ten Commandments was on last night. I always tend to watch at least half of it everytime it was on TV.

Well, Happy Easter everybody. Here's a little something I made for today:

Hope you like :D
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

probably the best part of this so called "holiday" is putting those marshmellow peep things in the microwave just to see them damn near explode. :lol: :evil:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

tyger wrote:you... you.. you mean south park lied to me?! ;)
You don't honestly believe that Saint Peter was actually a rabbit and that rabbits are supposed to serve as the pope, do you? ?? Are you in the Hare Club for Men?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
In_Cruce_Salus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by In_Cruce_Salus »

Heh. Easter isn't much of a holiday. Christmas? You get presents. Samhain/All Hallows Eve? Candy. Thanksgiving? Food. But what do you get for easter? Rotten eggs hidden in the yard six months from now. :P

My dislike of organized religion stems from my mother and her christian supremacist crazy-head notions. If I sound anti-christian, its nothing personal. I used to be a whole heck of a lot worse than I am now, but I'm less of a militant anti-religion psycho now.

Eh. Anyway, for what its worth, Happy Easter.

-Cruce
Initial Here: ___
Here: ___
And Here: ___

Sign on the dotted line: .................................
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Fenrir wrote:....Christos Anesti and all that

but beyond that why would anyone care, I mean it's not like all other religeons don't get made fun of too, ie islam, budhism, and hinduism (with their cows) so there's really no need to get offended....the only thing to be angry about is I MISSED THE EASTER BUNNY SPECIAL SOUTHPARK!!!!!! :cry:
Aww, that sucks. Here you go. Go to episodes and click season 11.
-Jack Handey
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

i dun really care y easter exists; i just got to eat good APPLE PIE!!!

happy easter peeps!
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I dont like holidays that have to do with Jesus because theres a Christ Church right around the corner from me and it screws up traffic all day.

:lol: The only people at Barnes and Noble today are Jews and Asians. :lol: True story.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend