Body Condition Vs "THE BITE"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:
If some humans have the "therianthropy" gene(s) that react favorably to the virus, others are just as likely to be allergic to it.
Therianthropy would have no effect in this, besides the person's reaction and mind set towards this, their body; no. Unless therianthropy is truly a neurological thing, therianthropy is not a gene and from what we know does not pass on.
Actually, it could be possible that with some people who die upon infection, that, they died because of an autoimmune reaction, where their own immune system attacks their own tissues. This would be a serious problem, in that the body is flooded with new hormones when they begin to transform.
outwarddoodles wrote:
If the virus was capable of transforming everyone, we'd have epidemics across the globe, or else the Earth would be the Planet of the Lupins.
Thats when it comes to the individual werewolfs responsibility to keep being a werewolf secret. Biting everyone in sight is stupid.
On the one hand, that's just common sense. On the other hand, some people lack common sense, unfortunately.
outwarddoodles wrote:
Meaning that some of us may require glasses in order to see.
Well I do. :) Apparently though with the eyes changing between human and wolven the person would most likely become very blind.
[/qupte]
What gives you that idea?
I never got the impression that changing the color of one's eyes would cause them to fall out.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I never got the impression that changing the color of one's eyes would cause them to fall out.
Changing into a wolf is very complicated and harsh. To change the eye as such from human to wolf would be cpmplicated and if it screws up the person could have impaired vision or become fully blind. All the changing is going to effect the body and some organs. Especially the mentioned brain in my earleir post.
Actually, it could be possible that with some people who die upon infection, that, they died because of an autoimmune reaction, where their own immune system attacks their own tissues. This would be a serious problem, in that the body is flooded with new hormones when they begin to transform.
And that has to do with Therianthropy 'genes' how?
On the one hand, that's just common sense. On the other hand, some people lack common sense, unfortunately.
Well if everyone was a werewolf I would sappose they would have nothing against werewolves. But the Chaos that would cause!
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Changing into a wolf is very complicated and harsh. To change the eye as such from human to wolf would be cpmplicated and if it screws up the person could have impaired vision or become fully blind. All the changing is going to effect the body and some organs. Especially the mentioned brain in my earleir post.
Yes, it's true that shapeshift is complicated and taxing on the body. On the other hand, wasn't that why we have regeneration? A werewolf's heightened regenerative abilities would repair any damage done to the eyes during changing. I mean, what good is having lycanthropy if we decide that it's a slow death sentence?
Furthermore, when did we come to the conclusion that lycanthropes all go blind from shapeshifting?
outwarddoodles wrote:
And that has to do with Therianthropy 'genes' how?
I was talking about people being "allergic" to lycanthropy... Besides, one can still have a potentially fatal response if one is suddenly inundated with weird proteins (hormones or virus or whatever gene-product it may be) that one's body has never encountered before, in that, the victim can develop a fatal allergic reaction. Being allergic to peanuts, penicillin or sulphur is not a pretty condition. Or, if one has encountered these same weird proteins before, one can become hypersensitive to them, and die the next time one encounters the substance again.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

So if you shift too often, you go blind...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Wow...I am not reading all of that. But for what I did manage to read...
outwarddoodles wrote:
Is the chemical make up the same in all werewolves?
Yes. And I had mentioned that in the long derailed 'Genetic diversity' topic. If a werewolf bites a human it is enjecting their DNA into that person.
*grumbles* As much as I hated Biology I think it's needed here. First of all, the werewolf isn't injecting anything. Unless they have hollow fangs like a rattlesnake and virus producing glands above the fangs then the word "injection" is completely wrong. Second, the DNA which is acquired is from the virus and not the werewolf. A ww's cells may have been changed but aside from the occasional mutation the virus itself will remain the same. Third, while DNA does determine many things such as species and whatnot, it in no way dictates what a creature looks like all by itself. Genes and chromosomes and other thingamabobs I can't remember the names of are what make a person look different from their neighbor. The virus injects DNA into a cell, nothing else. So no, the chemical makeup is NOT the same.

(replace the wolf with a llama...) :knockedout:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

alleles, i beleve, is the word you are searching for. :P

you could have a fatal reaction, but you could to anything that involves flooding your body with a foreign substance.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadowblaze wrote: you could have a fatal reaction, but you could to anything that involves flooding your body with a foreign substance.
Hence one reason why some people die upon being bitten/infected.
-Calculon
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, as a general rule I would consider a werewolf to be a plus rather then a perfection.

Like, uh.... A +5 Staff of Thwapping (Note: I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Assuming that they survive the change, they get a roughly equal physical boost, meaning a person in better shape than a unathletic person, would still be in better shape then said person even if they were both infected at the same time.

Now what happens after the transformation, would depend on the individual. A weak person, after getting that much of a physical boost, may become drunk with it and start excercising and such everyday because it feels so good. Where-as, an athlete may miss the challenge of physical activity, and may let his body sit idle. It really depends on personality, personality after all has a huge impact on the shape of your body.

Now, as for people not turning into a werewolf, turning into werewolves years later, and stuff like that. That's a matter of immunity, assuming that this is a viral method of course.

I think typically that no matter how effective a virus is, there's always at least one or two people immune to it. So occasionally you'll probably get people who either don't transform immedietly, or at all. On a side note, I think a person whom is immune may be of great interest to a werewolf hunter.

I'm no expert of course, but I'm pretty sure people like that could use such people to create vaccines for themselves. Or if that doesn't work, they could always attempt to simply convert em, get themselves an immune partner.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

outwardoodles- look. a virus i a very compact package. think of it a a shel with receptors, and some dna floating around inside. the dna the virsu holds is that whcih changes the wolf. it says, "grow fur, here, here and here, at this length, and after x seconds of transforming a y of a rate". it does not say "gorw black fur...." it hold the neccesary info for the transformation. the dna for hair color, more specifically the aleles are alredy in your body, in every cell you have. if i get bitten by a white werewol i'll be a brown one. i have brown hair, and brown bodily hair. this means that any new fur told to row- will be brown, becuse the preset instructions there say "hair is brown" the new instructions say, "grow more hair." there is no conflict. naturally, if the instructions say to grow new hair, and that all hair is brown, then all hair is brown. it depends on the person. the virus itself contains onyl the genes for whatever way in which the person changes, NOT the specific phenotype of the werewolf.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I'll have to agree, for the most part, with that expanation.

-- Vilkacis
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

-Calculon
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Shadowblaze: Hair and Fur are two different things. Thus if there is no information for any color of fur, the fur on the werewolf would have no pigmet (sp?.). In the virus package there is more than DNA, it must contain alot of information and coding for the forms. Fur color inculded.

In your example your present instructions are to grow brown hair and on your head. Not for fur.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

*bangs head on table*

*sigh*
Hair and Fur are two different things
but very closely related, as muich difference as there u between a human and a chimpanzee- and the main difference between a human and a chimpanzee is 2% of the DNA.
Thus if there is no information for any color of fur, the fur on the werewolf would have no pigmet (sp?.
only if there is NO information. and, i believe, no pigment results in white fur, not clear fur. albinos have white hair, right?
In the virus package there is more than DNA, it must contain alot of information and coding for the forms.
:blink:

..information...comes...in...the..form..of...DNA...
In your example your present instructions are to grow brown hair and on your head. Not for fur.
...chioce of words, choice of words. but as previously stated... hair and fur are very close.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

outwarddoodles wrote:Hair and Fur are two different things.
Woah! Wait a second, since when?

Fur is just another name for body-hair on mammals.

I assure you, they are both produced in the same manner.

-- Vilkacis
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:Shadowblaze: Hair and Fur are two different things. Thus if there is no information for any color of fur, the fur on the werewolf would have no pigmet (sp?.). In the virus package there is more than DNA, it must contain alot of information and coding for the forms. Fur color inculded.
Do realize that fur and hair ARE THE SAME EXACT THING.
-Calculon
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 005004.htm

And truly, its DNA for our human form and human head. Not a wolven form.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

outwarddoodles wrote:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 005004.htm

Did you even read that article?
under a microscope a hair follicle taken from the leg would look just about the same as one from the head.
Our human "fur" if you will — the hair under the arms, on the legs and elsewhere — is anatomically identical to head hair.
Neufeld and Conroy hypothesize that although the hair follicle itself might be the same, the hair follicle growth cycle must be regulated differently on the head than elsewhere on the body.
A potential reason for that difference is a segment of human DNA called a pseudogene. The actual gene, known as ΦhHaA, makes a keratin protein in chimps and gorillas. Although the same DNA sequence is preserved in humans, human cells don't use it to make the protein. That's why scientists call it a pseudogene.

"I don't have any sense that this necessarily is a clue," Neufeld says.
-- Vilkacis
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 005004.htm

You do realize that this article explains why the leg hair of a human grows differently than the hair on a human's head, not why fur and hair are different, right?
-Calculon
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Well, it also all comes down to the fact that DNA is the basic building blocks for ALL Species. You can't infect someone with "wolf" DNA and have them turn into carbon copies of the wolf unless you did a damn near complete replacement of someone's DNA. Admittedly, we share a pretty high percentage of similar DNA with almost any mammal - and all of them use the same "programming language" as it were.
What I'm trying (and probably failing) to say is that you're not going to turn into a carbon copy of the wolf that bit you. The virus is going to modify existing DNA - and we already have a complicated set of alleles that code for the amount of melanin that our body produces to get varying shades of hair (and skin) color. We also have slews of DNA that does nothing -at least nothing we know of. We have redundant strands, we have archaic carryovers. And much more DNA that will do something if triggered. Lactose production is a good example of that. People with lactose intolerance have the genes to break down lactose, they just don't turn on. Lycanthropy would, I think, work similarly...
Heck, If you want to go with ONE idea - it's POSSIBLE that perhaps everyone has the potential for lycanthropy encoded, all the virus does is provide the "switch" to turn it on ^_~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Arania wrote:Lactose production is a good example of that. People with lactose intolerance have the genes to break down lactose, they just don't turn on.

Want to know something strange? I was able to drink milk like it was water when I was younger. Now I can't because of lactose intolerance. Its like that big main switch for lactose break down was some how turned off.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Figarou wrote:
Arania wrote:Lactose production is a good example of that. People with lactose intolerance have the genes to break down lactose, they just don't turn on.

Want to know something strange? I was able to drink milk like it was water when I was younger. Now I can't because of lactose intolerance. Its like that big main switch for lactose break down was some how turned off.
That actually happens a lot - it's happening to me too, and I hate it - I love milk and dairy products. Most mammals are not lactose tolerant past childhood when they drink their mother's milk (and relatively speaking we think that early cultures breast fed children up till about 5 years of age). And many cultures are mostly lactose intolerant past a certain age. It's natural that that "switch" flips off - hence people having the genetic coding to be able to drink milk, it's the indicator (or something like that) gene that turns the production of proteins on and off that break down the lactose.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:

All humans have a gene for producing the enzyme beta-galactasidease, that allows us to convert the sugar lactose into glucose and galatose. Or something along those lines. As a rule, the historical source of most people's milk was their mother, or wet nurse. Once we were weaned, we rarely ever had any more milk. As a result, we have another gene that switches our beta-galactasidease gene off, once we reached the "weaning" age.
Then came the advent of the dairy industry, and those people who lacked this shut-off gene were selected for.
We didn't know about this problem, until, after WW2, people were dying from the powdered milk that were donated to them to help them end the famines in Africa.
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote: All humans have a gene for producing the enzyme beta-galactasidease, that allows us to convert the sugar lactose into glucose and galatose. Or something along those lines. As a rule, the historical source of most people's milk was their mother, or wet nurse. Once we were weaned, we rarely ever had any more milk. As a result, we have another gene that switches our beta-galactasidease gene off, once we reached the "weaning" age.
Then came the advent of the dairy industry, and those people who lacked this shut-off gene were selected for.
We didn't know about this problem, until, after WW2, people were dying from the powdered milk that were donated to them to help them end the famines in Africa.

Interesting stuff. Mmmmm...milk!! Image

Heh, I wonder if I should add that wolf icon to the list? :D

I know milk is also used to pass protection to the young to fight diseases.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Interesting stuff. Mmmmm...milk!! Image

Heh, I wonder if I should add that wolf icon to the list? :D

I know milk is also used to pass protection to the young to fight diseases.
It's not so much as the milk itself, as mother's milk contains antibodies and vitamins that are passed on to the baby.
A motherly payload of love, so to speak.
-Calculon