Okies..Check out this werewolf expert..*rolls eyes* >_>

The place for anything at all...
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

One should not put one's own perceptions above another person's in a negative way. Their are some situations I find myself doing this but this is far from one of them. Someone once told me that "fear is the root of all negative human emotion."*

Are you afraid that if you wanted to become a werewolf they might not have a tail? Is the other individual afraid they might have one? Are you afraid that your beliefs may be wrong? I have absolutly no way to know for sure whether or not fear is the root of ALL negative emotions but I find the statement interesting to think about.
Just remember to show that I do not hold my beliefs above yours I changed my signature to "Maybe I am wrong..."

*Their words not mine.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

When I was working on the CG model of Figarou, I noticed how the tail put the werewolf form off balance. Unless a werewolf were to lean forward, the weight of the tail would make the creature fall backwards. Wolves walk on all fours, so the tail is a good counter-balance, but upright walking humans would be burdened by a big fluffy tail due to our posture. Even with digitigrade feet, the form is still off balance without curving the spine forward. Ack! The back pain would be immense!

I prefer the tail to be there, because it's cool. In truth, it's a backwards step in evolution to have it there. We supposedly evolved from apes, which have tails, and the said tails disappeared when the apes started walking upright.

But for movie and art's sake... give the poor werewolf a tail. :)
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Doberman
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian

Post by Doberman »

Edit

I am sorry for the confusion. I did not say Joker was ignorant; there was no name calling involved what so ever. I merely said her comment was ignorant which obviously was the wrong term to use.
I should have expressed my annoyance in a more polite manner.
Last edited by Doberman on Thu May 10, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doberman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doberman »

Z wrote:
Doberman wrote:I never specifically called Joker ignorant just her reaction.

Yes, ravageed_ warrior, you are right. Instead of saying her reaction was ignorant, I should have just flatly stated it was wrong and out of line.
Well, at least thats what I think. I didn't CALL HER ignorant at all. :P
i guess im the only other person who notiiced he wasnt calling her a name, but saying her actions where ignorant, which she did agree later they were out of line.

No, Amoux, Anook, and ravaged_warrior understood that I wasn't calling her ignorant as well.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Everything is kool Doby..When I said sorry I meant it to you as well..
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Tails aren't that heavy. I'm guessing your model assumed the tail had the same mass as equivalent volume of body, but the bulk of the tail is fur, the only real weight comes from the thin whip-like spine of it.
Doberman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doberman »

Teh_DarkJokerWolf wrote:Everything is kool Doby..When I said sorry I meant it to you as well..

I apologize as well, I should have been more civil.

Sorry Joker, I just now logged on to the forum so I didn't see your earlier response before I posted mine.
Doberman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doberman »

Personally, I don't like acaudate werewolves.
Werewolves, in my opinion, need to have a tail.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Oh the drama. :roll: Its so easy to get pissed at people on the internet because you can't heat the tone of their voice.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I've heard about old legends were a werewolf had no tail in wolf form. And also legends where a way to tell a person is a WW is because they have a tail that they hide.

So I guess you choose whatever floats your boat :)

(though we all know if WWs did really exsist, they would have tails :wink: Just looks cool. 8) )
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Silverclaw wrote:And also legends where a way to tell a person is a WW is because they have a tail that they hide.
Funny...I've only heard that about "Kitsunes". I've never heard that as part of Werewolf legends before...hmmm...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, I've been wondering where I've read that...I'll have to alooking through some of my werewolf books...
I know I saw it somewhere
:)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've run into the werewolves as wolves with no tail before in my own reading some two decades ago, back when my obsession first started. I've had to reconcile it with my own predilection for having a tail.

I even made mention of it in my novel manuscript...
(Novel character Scott Gardener reads through accounts of the paranormal, trying to understand what could have caused him to wake up in the woods, clothes torn, with a bite in his shoulder, and why he is experiencing enhanced senses.)...he stumbled across one story that stood out.

A member of a group of campers thought he saw a wolf-like animal wandering in the woods. He ran back to warn the others about the creature, which he described as dark, almost black, human-sized, and missing a tail. In his description, he emphasized an unreal quality about the animal....

(After Scott has read the accounts and pondered, staring into the woods outside...)

The camper's description of a large, black, wolf-like animal was close. But, this one had a tail. He remembered seeing a tail. It was moments before an animal, but now it stood upright like a person, but it still had a tail.
As a side note, a tail might cause a Gestalt form werewolf to have a slight forward lean, but if you look at a lot of illustrations, we've been giving them that posture anyway. I wouldn't expect the lean to be that much unless the tail were intentionally outstretched or lifted up to counterbalance, which would be a useful posturing tool.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

PariahPoet wrote:Tails aren't that heavy. I'm guessing your model assumed the tail had the same mass as equivalent volume of body, but the bulk of the tail is fur, the only real weight comes from the thin whip-like spine of it.
Erm... I'm not convenced. Nearly 1/4 of a wolf's weight is from its fur.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Im glad everybody is getting along :D

I apologise if anything I said was incorrect or misread. Probably was. There's hardly a moment when I'm sober when I get home from work, Uni, or someone's house or some crap. And that is no excuse.

I just like big long tails!

:badminton:
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

Amoux wrote:
DarkShadow wrote:
Doberman wrote:Why can't I tell someone they are out of line but they can tell me?
Please help me understand. Is it because I'm new?
And how am I not being civil?
And if you want me understand than please help to so I won't be left in the dark.
We aren't saying you're out of line and we have no problem accepting new people. Just be careful about what you say and keep it to yourself if it's not nice. Why is nobody civil anymore? :(
Your saying Doberman needs to keep “mean” things to himself/ herself but, what about the Ireland Declares War on France Thread? Most of the people who posted there said they hated the French, that we are mere cravens who would run away from any battle. People on this board also stated that we smell! I am French.
Now how do you think that made me feel?
Did I say anything?
No.
Anook was so kind to defend me when he/she didn't even know me! She/he was the only one!

To top it all off, most if not all of their accusations were wrong! We French are not rude or smelly.
I have helped countless AMERICANS navigate their way around the streets of Paris many times and I have also made many American friends who I still keep in touch with to this day!
And we do take showers EVERDAY! Most of us are actually quite clean.

So, really, no one is in any position to say that Doberman was out of line or mean.

Please, look at the speck in your own eye before you notice somebody else's.
i was one of the french bashers but the only way i acted that way was because when ever i talk to my parents, teachers, or other adults that have been to france, they all tell me that one they where in there that some of the french people were rude and crude to them and kept pointing them in the wrong position, dont get me wrong i love France, but i only was a little distrustful of some french people, thankfully tho you have showed me that not all french people are bad(tho i still prefere germany :P)
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Hey, hey, hey. I have a little bit of french blood in me. :evil:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Hey, hey, hey. I have a little bit of french blood in me. :evil:
did you read the entire post where i apoligized for me actions?
maybe i am a little biased
i think its the german blood me(30% german) i will control myself 8)
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I dont care.

Us French shall have our revolution! .......not really.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

german choclate cake Verus French pastreys, who will win?
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

unfortunately I don't like chocolate a whole lot, so maybe the French would win for a change! :lol: I jest...no need for hostility
:cry:

But I've heard that originally werewolves started when people thought certain people could change into wolves. I've read some articles about people trying to explain these strange sitings of people morphing into wolves is due to mas exposure to hallucinogens. IF we follow this train of thought werewolves may have originally started from the thoughts of deranged people and the logics of how a werewolf physically would stand and maneuver wouldn't be a problem. But thats just what I've read and believe as a possible solution.
My real online handle is Derutydragon
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

[quote="AmouxAnook was so kind to defend me when he/she didn't even know me! She/he was the only one!
[/quote]

I did not Call your nationality. I DID state how, in my ignorant younger days, I had very blinkered views toward French people, but as I stated leter on in my post, I am married to a Half French girl, and have found the French side of her family very friendly and welcoming.

It is all down to miseducation.

My son riles me whenever he see's Gypsies as he calls them, these are perfectly normal people who just happen to be using a van to tow thier caravan, they may or may not be gypsies, but so what if they are? I try to put him straight on the matter but unfortunately, he has a VERY blinkered natural father who seems to hold more sway over my stepsons views.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Us French shall have our revolution!
I thought you already did...

And Amoux, sorry I didn't stick up for the French. I almost did, and even had a response typed up, but I decided to stay out of the conversation because quite frankly I find French-bashing ridiculous, and had decided that most of the responses HAD to be joking.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Amoux
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lost in a February Song

Post by Amoux »

Lupine you are right. It does all boil down to mis-education.

I wasn't originally going to say anything because, I knew SOME were joking.
But, that conflict between Doberman, Joker, (and everybody who elected to get involved,) just brought back some feelings.
I mean, here I saw lots of members bashing him for his one wrong comment while only a couple of people said something in my defense, when more than one comment was said against my nationality.

Anyways, its in the past now so I'm just going to shrug it off. I'm a pretty laid back person and don't often get involved in arguments unless I think something needs to be said.
Last edited by Amoux on Fri May 11, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Literature is the one place in any society where, within the secrecy of our own heads, we can hear voices talking about everything in every possible way.

----Salman Rushdie
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Amoux wrote:Lupine you are right. It does all boil down to mis-education.

I wasn't originally going to say anything because, I knew SOME were joking.
But, that conflict between Doberman, Joker, (and everybody who elected to get involved,) just brought back some feelings.
I mean, here I saw lots of members bashing him for his one wrong comment while only a couple of people said something on my defense, when there was more than one comment said against my nationality.

Anyways, its in the past now so I'm just going to shrug it off.
Yeah sorry mate, was defending Sabre because she was feeling upset. I should lay off the alcohol. I didn't even read many posts before I posted. Stupid huh. I'm hungover and it serves me right anyway.

I'm stil pretty lost about this whole situation. Best I remain that way. I clearly have no idea. :lol:
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-