21%

Total votes: 24

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

WWWII (World's Worst Werewolves II

Post by Terastas »

I know, I know, you're sick of dwelling on these things and it's been done to death, but I noticed a lot in the original poll that people were answering without having any knowledge of some of the other nominees. Well, just a few minutes ago, I found a screenshot for the fifth and final original nominee, so now that those of us who haven't seen all five movies can compare and contrast, I'm curious to know who would really come out on top.

So here they are for your viewing displeasure:

Underworld
American Werewolf in Paris
Harry Potter: POA
Teen Wolf
Darkwolf

Let the hurling commence!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I still think that the werewolves in An American Werewolf in Paris was the worst of this particular bunch.
On the other hand, it surpasses that hideous neanderthal clown in Howling: The Freaks.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I vote that:

HP is acceptable, but unfortunate,

that Underworld is bad,

and that AWIP, Teen Wolf and Darkwolf are all terrible.

It looks like AWIP had the ability to do better, but didn't.

Teen Wolf makes a terrible werewolf, but was appropriate for the movie.

Finally, (judging solely from that picture) Darkwolf is just an angry man with pointy ears and unnaturally white teeth.

Thus, I would say Darkwolf is the worst attempt at a werewolf I've seen,

and that AWIP is the worst looking werewolf I've seen.

-- Vilkacis
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rooster Urlakane »

Harry Potter was a large let down for me :x
but DW made me rip open a few pillows :x :x
yet Teen Wolf was :x *gerrrrrrr- :o ack, ack...Blehchhhh*just terrible :x :x :x
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
sleep deprived and betrayed
lets be very...very...afraid.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vilkacis wrote: Finally, (judging solely from that picture) Darkwolf is just an angry man with pointy ears and unnaturally white teeth.

Thus, I would say Darkwolf is the worst attempt at a werewolf I've seen,

and that AWIP is the worst looking werewolf I've seen.

-- Vilkacis
Even worse than the Neanderthal clown in The Howling: The Freaks?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Vilkacis wrote:Finally, (judging solely from that picture) Darkwolf is just an angry man with pointy ears and unnaturally white teeth.
Er... Actually, the Darkwolf design might have been the closest of the five to what we're thinking of, but I chose that particular screenshot because it illustrates the "PS1 graphics" that everyone was talking about (that's an in-shift screenshot)
LoboLEO
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luna's pet

Post by LoboLEO »

I think there are a lot of Hp fans around here, so if you're fan of the werewolf theme as well you'll have a major disappointment... :P

But then you have the unkown DarkWolf movie... argggggh... please cut my eyes!!.... :splodey:
My werewolf-girl comic Online:
http://www.alphaluna.net/

My werewolf Art.
http://www.loboleo.com
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Terastas wrote:
Vilkacis wrote:Finally, (judging solely from that picture) Darkwolf is just an angry man with pointy ears and unnaturally white teeth.
Er... Actually, the Darkwolf design might have been the closest of the five to what we're thinking of, but I chose that particular screenshot because it illustrates the "PS1 graphics" that everyone was talking about (that's an in-shift screenshot)
Then perhaps it would be wise to show the final form.

Its a bit harsh to judge WWs by shfiting forms. WWs in mid-shift don't tend to look their best.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Aki wrote:
Terastas wrote:
Then perhaps it would be wise to show the final form.

Its a bit harsh to judge WWs by shfiting forms. WWs in mid-shift don't tend to look their best.
I've seen him shift into his final form...
It's like, a bulky fursuit, with false teeth.
-Calculon
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Eck!

Those are some really bad weres. For me what makes a good werewolf movie is:

1: Cool/reasonale werewolf
2. I need to SEE the werewolf. Not see it in two or three times fully.
3. The story need to be good. The Howling's stowy isn't that good but everything else is good. :)

4. The werewolf have to look like the person it changed from. Like Ginger Snaps or something.
5. Good acting. Nuff said.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Allen wrote:Eck!

Those are some really bad weres. For me what makes a good werewolf movie is:

1: Cool/reasonale werewolf
2. I need to SEE the werewolf. Not see it in two or three times fully.
3. The story need to be good. The Howling's stowy isn't that good but everything else is good. :)

4. The werewolf have to look like the person it changed from. Like Ginger Snaps or something.
5. Good acting. Nuff said.
They're similar to my criteria, though I only have three...
In that, I love a werewolf movie if 2 out of my 3 criteria are met, in that:
1) There's at least one, marginally competently done transformation scene
2) The werewolf is aesthetically pleasing
and
3) Competent actors...

Unfortunately, I rarely find a movie that meets even 1 criterion.
-Calculon
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rooster Urlakane »

rvt Yes it is sad that people didn't know what makes a movie in a good genere, well, a good movie. I think what Anthony decided to do and form the pack was a darn good one. He gets to see what people think about werewolves and make a good script(I hope). And the teaser intro makes it seem like is going to be great. :shift:
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
sleep deprived and betrayed
lets be very...very...afraid.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Aki wrote:Then perhaps it would be wise to show the final form.

I've seen him shift into his final form...
It's like, a bulky fursuit, with false teeth.
Plus, it's really the horrendous transformation graphics that made him a nominee as opposed to the overall design of the wereform.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

I think AWiP and Darkwolf earn the prize... I think the Underworld werewolves are not really bad, just a very different take on the theme that, IMHO, would have been a real great design with a few modifications (hint: more hair and a tail :wink: ); I haven't seen Harry Potter, but it seems to me that they attempted to create a mangy, sickly and ugly looking werewolf, and they succeded quite well. In Teen Wolf, the movie wasn't serious enough to take the werewolf seriously, and I think the werewolf they had works for that. AWiP and Darkwolf werewolves just suck in execution.
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

hoo boy....where to start? Never seen Darkwolf, and reading comments here makes me glad of that.
AWIP was an ok movie, but yea, the weres looked more like apes than wolves.
Harry Potter...good movie, and the way the werewolf moved was lovely...predatory, lithe, and feral. It's appearence, on the otherhand...was too...umm...neked? Almost furless???
Teen wolf...lol...haven't seen that in years. More "classic" Lon Chaney look, which I personally am not that fond of. Call it a Man-wolf, not a werewolf.
Underworld....loved the movie, and thought the fangsmith did a wonderful job. The "Lycans" were a cool design, but yes more cat-like than wolven. Though from what they say on special features that was the intent. And again...not...enough...FUR!!! :x

My biggest complaint however is that no matter what the were LOOKS like, it has to MOVE believably. A stilted, jerky stalking or running kills even the best costume. Ruins the believability of the creature as a real, living thing. Example: Dog soldiers. Cool idea, and stilts do help w/ height, but C'mon!!! Their legs looked like toothpicks!!!
"Sometimes I think I've been bad an' God sent me to Hell."

"This isn't Hell but you can see it from here..."
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

On a similar vein, even tho the werewolves in Van Helsing looked nice (the only good things in that movie, IMHO), I thought they moved too fast and fluid to be realistic. Worked nicely for the action and spectacle, but not for realism.
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

Speaking of VH...anyone know who the designer was for the werewolves??? The faces reminded me soooo much of Ron Spencer's art...and for any Werewolf the Apoc. fans out there....Razor claws!!!
"Sometimes I think I've been bad an' God sent me to Hell."

"This isn't Hell but you can see it from here..."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Wynd wrote:Speaking of VH...anyone know who the designer was for the werewolves??? The faces reminded me soooo much of Ron Spencer's art...and for any Werewolf the Apoc. fans out there....Razor claws!!!
http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=702
Timothy Albee, I believe.
-Calculon
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I voted for the AWIP 'werewolf' again. Its just.....no. Bad. So fake looking and ugly. It would be alright looking for somebody who made that thing at home on their computer, but not for a movie. Especially for the sequel to the wonderful American Werewolf in London. :x
I really dont mind the Underworld and Harry Potter WWs too much. They couldve been better, but they worked well. At least some real effert went into them.
I dont know what to think of Darkwolf yet; still have not seen it. I'd like to see a pic of it fully transformed. And Teen Wolf, I just cant take to seriously, so that escapes my wrath :wink:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Wynd wrote:Speaking of VH...anyone know who the designer was for the werewolves??? The faces reminded me soooo much of Ron Spencer's art...and for any Werewolf the Apoc. fans out there....Razor claws!!!
http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=702
Timothy Albee, I believe.
Tim was not involved with "Van Helsing"...he made "Kaze: Ghost Warrior".

...I'm not sure who did the SFX/Creature Work for VH.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Vuldari wrote:...I'm not sure who did the SFX/Creature Work for VH.
I looked all over the place; I couldn't find hide nor hair of information about who was responsible for that, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Albee. Whoever it was, if you ask me, they did a pretty good job, except for the super-pointy ears and lack of tail. There were some other anatomical issues, but they were minor.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote: Tim was not involved with "Van Helsing"...he made "Kaze: Ghost Warrior".

...I'm not sure who did the SFX/Creature Work for VH.
*grabs Van Helsing DVD*

Special Visual Effects & animation by Industrial Light & Magic.
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

the van helsing werewolf was cool but so......... wrong
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

Raina The Werewolf Queen wrote:the van helsing werewolf was cool but so......... wrong
How? All right, I think that maybe some animatronics and/or dudes-in-suits should have been used along with the CGI (that, and it needed a tail for sure bipedal balance), but ILM did a pretty swank job.

I actually kind of like the Underworld Lycan design, from a conceptual level. The mechatronics of the face and jaw especially - for anyone who's seen the special features, watching the head snarl, open its mouth, and blink is pretty snazzy :) Tatopoulos did a great job with the suits, it's just the anatomy that bothered me (and everyone here on the board, eh? :D ). They were more catlike than wolflike, but I guess that's due to the human influence. They're werewolves after all, not bipedal wolves with opposable thumbs. And from what I understand it's hard to get fur to not look shaggy and icky on a suit, right (so that can be forgiven)? Anyone here got any experience with that?

Anyways I still don't like the HP design ;) I mean, even wolves have more muscle than that, don't they? Those chopstick legs have to support the whole body, muscles, bones, and all.

And holy crap the poll quartered on me XD
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

Oh yeah, and does anyone remember watching Julie Delpy's character (in An American Werewolf in Paris) shift for the first time and cringe when they showed her leg structure change? The knee bent backwards, and then a brand spanking new knee joint appeared above it! Did the femur bone split or something? Never mind the ankles, y'know :wink: