The place for anything at all...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Cross species Werewolfism

Post by Rhuen »

Its a weird thought,

Now we have guys like Blade and Donovan half human half vampire who become Dhampirs, vampires with zero special weaknesses basically but tend to side with humanity.

A werewolf with a human always seems to result in a werewolf for some reason.

a werewolf with a vampire seems to get us some uber-freak monster when ever its used.

But what about a Werewolf with Cat-girl
(thinking what would the kids of Felicia & Jon Talbane be like)

or just generically cross these two very simular yet worlds apart types of "monsters".
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

This has always bugged me. People these days seem to forget that vampires are UNDEAD. They are corpses brought back to life or bitten by another vampire. In order for this particular category of undead to survive, they must feast on blood. So the rumor goes. There is no such thing as half-vampire secret agent...blah blah blah. It's non-sense. You cannot be half-dead. It doesn't work like that. You are either dead or you aren't. There is no in between.

Werewolves are naturally non-humanity friendly because werewolves are different from humans all together. You know how prejudice humans are. Humans are still having a hard time dealing with other humans with different skin colors. How do you expect them to deal with a half-vampire hybrid? (assuming such a thing was possible)

And, don't even get me started on some of these werewolf-vampire-human hybrids that are starting to pop up in recent Hollywood films...

Ugh.
Guy!
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Ah, but then that means you have a very strong dislike against Vampire Hunter D and Dante! They're both half-breeds, too!
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

What about a cross between a Werewolf and a Minotaur? Two creatures of legend... That would make a pretty awesome and intimidating beastie
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Ive written stories with different cross species. Jus depends what you feel like wriitng avout ;)
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Having a character that is a star elf vampire werewolf (half) is a good way of getting me not to read a book or story, usually :wink:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I'm with Shadowfang on this one. If vampirism and lycanthropy can be transmitted into humans to turn them into vampires and werewolves, you can't have a hybrid because the infectious half would transfer over to their human half and make them complete. You can't have hybrid and an infectious syndrome in the same concept.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

However, the posit of a Cat-Were crossed with a Werewolf mixes two already mutated species.
Either they would be infertile with each other, or the kids would chase themselves a lot...(Cats and Dogs?)
Seriously, there is a limit as to how far the altered Genome could be changed to accomodate the new DNA. I suspect that the Cat-Were and Werewolf mix would be infertile.
Or produce only Insurance salespersons...which is about the same thing...
:lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

RedEye wrote:However, the posit of a Cat-Were crossed with a Werewolf mixes two already mutated species.
Either they would be infertile with each other, or the kids would chase themselves a lot...(Cats and Dogs?)
Seriously, there is a limit as to how far the altered Genome could be changed to accomodate the new DNA. I suspect that the Cat-Were and Werewolf mix would be infertile.
considering that wolves and humans are incompatible to begin with genetics of this type really don't play into.

and I guess I should have left vampires out of it (if not for the fact that they are more popular in this regard "hybrids". so better to use as examples.

If a werewolf is incompatible with a cat-girl then its also un-able to reproduce with a human so no new werewolf that way.

But it seems in many stories of this type that the gene to shift into a werewolf can be passed down (which means is a gene for a special ability really not a new species)
So you get a person with the special gene to look like and have abilities of a cat mixed with a person with the gene to change into a wolf like creature (meaning both may not actually have any genetic simularity to the animal at all only take on simular manirisms and apperance.

Basically I would wander if one is more dominant than the other or if we would get something looking like Inuyasha,(a dog-boy) human with dog ears and claws. ??

Or something with a wolf tail and ears, but also can assume the full wolf form occasioanlly, would make hideing its self harder as not all its traits fully disappear in the human form.

Or perhaps they might cross and form a third unknown form (like some color genotypes do with animals to produce a phenotype unlike either trait)

This kinda takes us into X-men territory.
A shapeshiter Mystique with the feral regenerator SabreTooth produced a normal human

But Mystique with a devil like mutant (Lucifer I think) produced Nightcrawler who had his mother's eyes and skin color, but his father's demon like apperance and got teleportation for himself somehow.

So if we view the shifter abilities not as cross-species traits but a gene allowing for a physical transformation to take on the apperance and behavior of the animal we get new possibilities.

(as a note I have never thought of werewolves as being a human/wolf hybrid creature. More of a chimera creature with the likeness of another species with out being that species).
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Werewolf + cat girl would likely result in cat-children with a tendency to turn into werewolves from time to time. Being a cat-girl is more akin to being of a dark skinned people, though obviously a bit more extreme, while lycanthropy is more akin to infectious disease, though unlike a disease it's not harmful to the body. One's a hereditary genetic thing, the other is something easily spread from one person to another.

As to crossing any other "monsters" it very much depends on the beastie in question.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Aki wrote:Werewolf + cat girl would likely result in cat-children with a tendency to turn into werewolves from time to time. Being a cat-girl is more akin to being of a dark skinned people, though obviously a bit more extreme, while lycanthropy is more akin to infectious disease, though unlike a disease it's not harmful to the body. One's a hereditary genetic thing, the other is something easily spread from one person to another.

As to crossing any other "monsters" it very much depends on the beastie in question.
an interesting way to think about it.

Cat-people are basically people with hightened senses, agility, and strength with cat ears and a tail.
a werewolf is a shape shifter, turns a human into a wolf like form.

heck might come out looking like a fox after transforming more so than a wolf.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Kirk Hammett wrote:Ive written stories with different cross species. Jus depends what you feel like wriitng avout ;)
z

Quotoijg myself how sad.

By the way I was drunk when I wrote that and am ytonight too...frineds over to I haveti be quick.

I think that yes, I'd agree they would ike ymoe almost 100% infertile. But on occasion they might wrok, depends on my story. Depends on my mood. I know science says it wont work but sometimes I just dont care'; fantasy IS fantasy. That's how it shoud be.,
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Kirk Hammett wrote:
Kirk Hammett wrote:Ive written stories with different cross species. Jus depends what you feel like wriitng avout ;)
z

Quotoijg myself how sad.

By the way I was drunk when I wrote that and am ytonight too...frineds over to I haveti be quick.

I think that yes, I'd agree they would ike ymoe almost 100% infertile. But on occasion they might wrok, depends on my story. Depends on my mood. I know science says it wont work but sometimes I just dont care'; fantasy IS fantasy. That's how it shoud be.,
when it comes to werewolves you kinda have to throw science out the window (or at least dangle it out the window)

After all its already one species takeing on the semi-apperance of another, total bone and organ shifting, and a body mass increase.

I don't know why the infertile thing would even come up. If a werewolf can reproduce with a normal human than its no different than breeding with any other human/animal cross, as they arn't really a different species just a different breed.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:However, the posit of a Cat-Were crossed with a Werewolf mixes two already mutated species.
Rhuen beat me to it. If you accept the possibility, not only of a hybrid of human and wolf, but one that can change from man to wolf and turn other humans into similar hybrids, the possibilities of other werecreatures or hybrids of two different werecreatures is not that far off.

Viruses and bacterium reproduce and mutate rapidly, so if you accept that lycanthropy is a virus, bacterium, or syndrome in any way related to such, there could be several variations in even a small population. Considering that lycanthropy induces a "mutation" upon the host that can take place in a matter of minutes, the typically yearly cycle of mutation for viruses and bacterium could take course for lycanthropy over the time period between the bite and the first full moon.

There could be many variations of lycanthropy in just a single pack for that reason, especially if you accept our previous "lycanthropy remains inactive until puberty" argument -- that would give lycanthropy anywhere from ten to sixteen years to develop into a completely new variant. In the story I'm working on, for example (which involves an entire nation of werekin), the founders of the original settlement were all given lycanthropy by just one werewolf. Fast forward a few hundred years to when the little settlement has expanded into Lycanthropolis and there are estimate to be just under five hundred known variations of lycanthropic transformation.

So the possibility of hybrids depends on what else you accept. The scenario I presented is basically just a big series of If/Thens, so it entirely depends on what else you believe about lycanthropy.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Rhuen wrote:
Kirk Hammett wrote:
z

Quotoijg myself how sad.

when it comes to werewolves you kinda have to throw science out the window (or at least dangle it out the window)

After all its already one species takeing on the semi-apperance of another, total bone and organ shifting, and a body mass increase.

I don't know why the infertile thing would even come up. If a werewolf can reproduce with a normal human than its no different than breeding with any other human/animal cross, as they arn't really a different species just a different breed.
Thats why I said depends on the story; I prefer my werewolves to be a completely different species to humans. And the fertility thing just works with my storylines sometimes, although some births are successful most are dead or twisted.

Just a storyline thing. My species are so quirky that they cqant even be CALLED werewolves anymore.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>