Are gas prices killing you?

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Kaebora wrote:I'm all for going electric and hydrogen powered as well. Manufacturing and industry already put out tons of emmissions. If we all go electric, who will be paying Figarou's bills?
You are!! :evil:

Shadow Wulf wrote:Figarou will just have to quit that evil company hes working with and go to another company that gives hydrogen fuel.
Evil? Not from my point of view.

*counts all the extra cash made by working at Exxon* :thpt2:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

What goes around comes around Figarou. :evil:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Offtopic: do I always have to get up at 7:00 AM to watch the replies on this board? :P
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:What goes around comes around Figarou. :evil:
Did I tell you I get a discount at the pump? :thpt2:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Morkulv wrote:Offtopic: do I always have to get up at 7:00 AM to watch the replies on this board? :P
yes you do. :D
Figarou wrote:
Im going to siphon your car!! :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Im going to siphon your car!! :lol:
I'm going to siphon his tanker truck. :lol: Or... learn to run very very fast when Fig comes at me with bronze plated duckies. :o
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Wow. Can you imagine if things got so bad people actually went around siphoning unprotected gas tanks? Hell, it COULD happen.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Teh_DarkJokerWolf wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:I don't think we're gonna have a affordable, reliable hybrid for a long time. Really, we shoulda had one a long time ago. but we just keep getting forced to buy more and more gasoline.
Funny you say that Matt..Personally I bet there is something like that already made, but it's not open to us, because it might mess up the money they make off us now..The goverment prollie has many things that could save money out there but we'll never see it :P
Our government are actually prosecuting people who are caught running their Diesel cars on vegetable oil!!!! Crazy, its a sustainable cheap fuel but because they can't tax it to the hilt (over here, foodstuffs are VAT free) they make it illegal to use.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

MattSullivan wrote:Wow. Can you imagine if things got so bad people actually went around siphoning unprotected gas tanks? Hell, it COULD happen.
WHEN gas gets up to a $5+/gal. National Average in America, unfortunately, I fear that is going to become an unfortunate reality.

I never thought about it before, but I would not be surprised to see lockable gas-caps become an optional feature on most new car models by 2015, if the fuel crisis is not dealt with faster than it is now.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

MattSullivan wrote:Wow. Can you imagine if things got so bad people actually went around siphoning unprotected gas tanks? Hell, it COULD happen.

Thats already happening. :roll:

And there is an increase of "drive offs" at convenience stores.

This happened at an Exxon not long ago. A pickup truck pulling a trailer stopped on top of the delivery tanks. He had a tank on the trailer. He made it appear as if he was broken down by lifting his hood while a buddy of his pumps out gas from the drops below. After they filled up thier tank...they took off.

Here is a man who stole 1,000s of gallons with a tanker truck.

Now...have you seen Mad Max 2 : The Road Warrior?

Thats what I think the future will be like when gas is hard to come by.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

LOl. The future wont be like that if some brilliant scientist cancome up with an alternative ( This is where I wish i was just a little but smarter and not just some lame sem-successful cartoonist.
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Re: The 400 lb. tiger in the tank no one wants to talk about

Post by Short Tail »

Scott Gardener wrote: I contributed to global warming, too; I'm atoning today by subscribing to Green Mountain Energy to provide clean energy to the house--and replacing all our normal light bulbs with energy-efficient corkscrewy-shaped ones. Trading in a big, fat SUV/truck for a hybrid will be the next step.
You do know that Green mountain is just a different delivery company, right? That energy still comes from TXU (soon to be Lumina or whatever) The gas prices are rough though, I just bought a Yukon which gets 15-18 MPG but I need that size of a car for hauling stuff to and from Colorado so filling up is going to be rough. (fortunatly I can use regular unlike my sister's car which has to have 93 octane) I do make an effort to help the enviroment though, and am taking enviromental studies at school which is ironic given my family's background.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

There can't be only one

Post by Scott Gardener »

I do realize that the power coming into my house is still coming from local TXU, and therefore coal and oil. But, I'm matching that power by paying for instead power produced by cleaner methods.

You don't have to buy a hybrid to save gas. Indeed, most of the more fuel efficient cars are also the cheapest cars available--economy cars like the Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris, and the like. The forthcoming Smart ForTwo is a two-seater that will sell for about $15,000, that'll give the Prius a run for the money.

For decades, the Big Three have conspired in the United States to continue building big guzzlers. But, it's catching up with them. They're getting creamed by Honda and Toyota, who are making cars that not only get better milage, but are also more reliable. (For some reason, however, Toyota has also decided to embrace giant trucks. But, they're one of the main pioneers of hybrid engines; the Toyota Synergy Drive is the basis of the full hybrid cars on the road today; Ford's Escape and Nissan's forthcoming Altima are based on licensed technology--not to mention that Lexus is a Toyota subsidiary, so the first hybrid luxury cars are also Toyota.)

Still driving the Avalanche for now, but as soon as I've got some free time after A-Kon we could be in for a test drive some time next month. We've looked at Toyota's Highlander hybrid. Hard not to think about immortals doing sword fights with a name like that.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
wolfpriest
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfpriest »

Friggn' skippy they are high, I drive a Ford Fusion and I still have to pay like 40-50 bucks just to fuel up!
I get about 25-30 miles to the gallon...
[wolfpriest] T.T Save me from her
[cumulusprotagonist] How could I possibly do that/
[wolfpriest] uuh...magical mystical mind bullet?
[Mom] OMG Gary WTF ouch...That better be fruit punch on the floor!
*Visit my blog here: http://wolfpriest.blogspot.com/
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

about the tesla thing,

As a rule, sex sells, even though the tesla won't be accesible by everyone, it will start the electric car fire.

And scott, If you are looking for a really efficient car try a VW bus, or just a beetle wagon (yes they exist). Much better gas milage than a prius and much cheaper to buy and insure.
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

ALTERNATIVE ENERGY RESOURCES.

Is all I have to say.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well geez Fig, it's not like the alternative fuel source won't have to be shipped either. The demand for oil might drop, but the demand for energy will be consistent. It's only a disaster if you try to stick with the oil companies instead of transitioning from oil onto the clean energy companies.

That's the problem with the current energy corporations. Instead of spending money on R&D for clean energy, they spent money starting wars and screwing environmental laws so they could keep selling the same crap their fathers did. :P

Nothing against you Fig. You don't push it or sell it after all -- you just deliver it. That's an honest business.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Jeez, I'm glad i have FEET.

My driving gets done in either a 30mpg car or my wonderful '83 XT 200 with 80MPG.

I LOVE motorcycles. Fuel efficiency, booyah!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The 400 lb. tiger in the tank no one wants to talk about

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:
I contributed to global warming, too; I'm atoning today by subscribing to Green Mountain Energy to provide clean energy to the house--and replacing all our normal light bulbs with energy-efficient corkscrewy-shaped ones. Trading in a big, fat SUV/truck for a hybrid will be the next step.

Watch this
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

MattSullivan wrote:LOl. The future wont be like that if some brilliant scientist cancome up with an alternative ( This is where I wish i was just a little but smarter and not just some lame sem-successful cartoonist.
They have, it's just not widespread yet.

"Future Cars" on Discovery channel had an episode on fueling. The alternatives are numerous and highly effective. Ethanol (basically, corn liquor), bio-diesel (basically, vegtable oil....), hydrogen (not only clean, this thing produces drinkable water as "Waste"!) solar power, and there's also a car some French fellow came up with that runs on compressed air.

There really is no excuse why we still use gas. We have all these alternatives that work great and not using one of 'em.

Gotta be those damn oil companies. Too afraid to change. Thing is, if they changed over and were the first to offer clean fuel to the masses, they'd make back the cash lost from converting very quickly. Being eco-friendly makes you look good and well, sunlight is significantly cheaper than oil. :lol:
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Watch "Who Killed The Electric Car".

And then realise in horror that the assholes who run the car companies could have helped slow global warming, but didn't just because they wanted more money from us replacing car parts.

If I meet the executives who did this, I will kick them in the beanbag (Because, everyone knows that most execs are male).
XIV
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Great video, Fig. With a camcorder, Internet access, and simple logic, one person made a compelling argument that cuts through so much politics to drive home a simple point.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Aki wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:LOl. The future wont be like that if some brilliant scientist cancome up with an alternative ( This is where I wish i was just a little but smarter and not just some lame sem-successful cartoonist.
They have, it's just not widespread yet.

"Future Cars" on Discovery channel had an episode on fueling. The alternatives are numerous and highly effective. Ethanol (basically, corn liquor), bio-diesel (basically, vegtable oil....), hydrogen (not only clean, this thing produces drinkable water as "Waste"!) solar power, and there's also a car some French fellow came up with that runs on compressed air.

There really is no excuse why we still use gas. We have all these alternatives that work great and not using one of 'em.

Gotta be those damn oil companies. Too afraid to change. Thing is, if they changed over and were the first to offer clean fuel to the masses, they'd make back the cash lost from converting very quickly. Being eco-friendly makes you look good and well, sunlight is significantly cheaper than oil. :lol:
Actually there's a hellofa lot of trouble with ethanol. The BTU's we get out of it are simply not worth it until we can get cellulose-based ethanols instead of normal sugars.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Just saw it, and Al Gore needs to find out about this video so that he can show it to the public.
XIV
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Figarou wrote:

Thats already happening. :roll:

And there is an increase of "drive offs" at convenience stores.

This happened at an Exxon not long ago. A pickup truck pulling a trailer stopped on top of the delivery tanks. He had a tank on the trailer. He made it appear as if he was broken down by lifting his hood while a buddy of his pumps out gas from the drops below. After they filled up thier tank...they took off.

Here is a man who stole 1,000s of gallons with a tanker truck.

Now...have you seen Mad Max 2 : The Road Warrior?

Thats what I think the future will be like when gas is hard to come by.
My PS3 Will not let me type m
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z