What if the worst happens?

The place for anything at all...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

What if the worst happens?

Post by Dreamer »

I was just wondring, what would happen to the Pack and our vision of what a werewolrf is if the worst thing happens, such as Freeborn never getting made or floppingin theatres? I don't want to expect it to, but you know what they say. "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst".
XIV
Nitruswolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Of Wolf Kin

It's a good question

Post by Nitruswolf »

I think you have a good question here and indeed "prepare for the best but always prepare for the worst" it's always good to have a plan B.

As far as how far things are right now is what I am also wondering, I haven't noticed to much happening, but I am just checking in, there is the new domain name for the pack board and such which is some sign of progress or continued support at least.

Will check back soon, cheers!
-Nitro
Human science denies posibility if it does not understand we're real, yet natural science only proves what is posible and is open to posibility!
Natural science has proven our existance, human science has failed to prove either way thus we do not exist!
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Well, letme say this, about that. FREEBORN, CAMP LYCANTHROPE, and HOD are not the end-all-be-all of werewolf films. What i'm guessing, is that someone somewhere will come out with a werewolf film no one expected...and then maybe werewolf fans will be satisfied. The thing is, you cant please everyone, and there will NEVER be a perfect werewolf film.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I'm with Matt. I think Freeborn will be a hit if only because it's different from the typical werewolf movies, but the only thing I'm really certain of is that it will inspire a lot of other werewolf projects. Some people will like it and be inspired to start similar projects, others will hate it and be inspired to make a werewolf movie how they think it should be done. Either way, Freeborn will not be the absolute last werewolf movie ever made.
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

Freeborn flopping in theaters is a far better outcome than it never getting made. I don't expect it to do well myself, just because it's not going to be something mainstream audiences will want to eat up. Fans of classic werewolf movies will be looking for gore and violence, while other people won't be looking to see a werewolf movie at all because of the first crowd's expectations. Not to mention I'd be extremely surprised if we got more than limited release on a national level. Actually, I'd be pretty damn impressed by that.

Of course, I'd be very pleased with any of these outcomes. :D All I want is to see the movie made eventually. How it's released doesn't matter, so long as I'm able to see it in some fashion.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

So long as it makes it to a DVD I'm okay...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

TakeWalker wrote:Freeborn flopping in theaters is a far better outcome than it never getting made.
I agree. I just want to be able to see it.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Get comfy... Some motion pictures took a decade to get up and running. There are so many things that all have to happen just right for a picture to be made that we might as well face it: we're in for the duration.
I do believe Freeborn will get made. Whether it's with the current script or with a modified one ( for the Studio's happiness)- it will be made.
Look on the positive side as you wait: every Costume flick advances the art of making Appliances a little bit; ditto the Computer animation angle.
Think back: TRON took forever to do-even though it was a groundbreaker and had major backing. Now; You Tube has equally good stuff made by students as projects.
Patience is difficult, but it does reward one: the longer it takes for Freeborn to be made, the better it will be in the special effects department.
It'll get made. Be patient.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

RedEye wrote:Think back: TRON took forever to do-even though it was a groundbreaker and had major backing. Now; You Tube has equally good stuff made by students as projects.
Tron might not be the best example to inspire optimism, seeing how big of a flop it was.
XIV
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, I'd just be happy to see it done; either if it ends up a box office smash, or a little known cult classic thats direct-to-dvd. I just want it to be made :)
I know we gotta be patient, but I also hope this thing wont take over a decade to get made :P
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

Dreamer wrote:
RedEye wrote:Think back: TRON took forever to do-even though it was a groundbreaker and had major backing. Now; You Tube has equally good stuff made by students as projects.
Tron might not be the best example to inspire optimism, seeing how big of a flop it was.
Except that TRON was an awesome movie and is now loved by millions via DVD sales and so forth.

Freeborn isn't gonna be a box office smash, a summer blockbuster, or anything like that. It'll be seen by us, other werewolf fans and furries, and the curious. I really don't expect anything amazing out of the mainstream filmgoing audience, and I'd much rather concentrate on getting the movie out (he said, as if he had some control over it) than worrying about how well it will "do".
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Zane on phone: "We've got a problem..."

Post by Scott Gardener »

It already has a cult following--us. Unless it majorly disappoints us (and I don't think it will, looking at the script and what I've seen of Red Victoria, by the same people), it's going to be something many of us will watch repeatedly. We'll bug all our friends with it. I think at the very least, we could be looking at the next Serenity, though the studios will be happier, because they won't have spent as much to get it out there. More likely, I think it'll enjoy a decent theatrical release, with at least a few heads turning before going on to be a cult favorite that continues to trickle sales decades later on video formats that haven't yet been invented.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Zane on phone: "We've got a problem..."

Post by Dreamer »

Scott Gardener wrote:It already has a cult following--us. Unless it majorly disappoints us (and I don't think it will, looking at the script and what I've seen of Red Victoria, by the same people), it's going to be something many of us will watch repeatedly. We'll bug all our friends with it. I think at the very least, we could be looking at the next Serenity, though the studios will be happier, because they won't have spent as much to get it out there. More likely, I think it'll enjoy a decent theatrical release, with at least a few heads turning before going on to be a cult favorite that continues to trickle sales decades later on video formats that haven't yet been invented.
Didn't Serenity bomb?
XIV
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Re: Zane on phone: "We've got a problem..."

Post by RedEye »

Dreamer wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:It already has a cult following--us. Unless it majorly disappoints us (and I don't think it will, looking at the script and what I've seen of Red Victoria, by the same people), it's going to be something many of us will watch repeatedly. We'll bug all our friends with it. I think at the very least, we could be looking at the next Serenity, though the studios will be happier, because they won't have spent as much to get it out there. More likely, I think it'll enjoy a decent theatrical release, with at least a few heads turning before going on to be a cult favorite that continues to trickle sales decades later on video formats that haven't yet been invented.
Didn't Serenity bomb?
They were fighting the T.V. version. Why pay eight bucks for what you can watch on TeeVee? Without the screaming kid two rows down.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

I agree with the whole cult classic thing. It's not going to be huge because it's not a big budget major motion picture, but it will have its loyal followers who will gobble up all the merchandise they see *hint hint* and buy every extended edition version that comes out. It won't revolutionize the film industry but it will certainly cast a different light on an old overdone genre that's gotten a little stale. Hopefully it will start people in a different direction with werewolf films at least. I'm just happy to see that they aren't blood thirsty monsters that have to be stopped by the sexy hero and heroine with lots of action scenes and hiding in the dark and "Oh no it's got me!" or something.

-Neko
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

A cult following is fine...but the movie itself has to be made. I'm just hoping that AB has been so busy because he's currently filming it ( we can hope thats the reason for his absence.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

nekocj wrote:but it will have its loyal followers who will gobble up all the merchandise they see *hint hint*
God, I would love toys from NECA of this film.
XIV
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Perhaps Serenity wasn't the best example. There's lots of movies that are successful by virtue of cult followings, that have made back many times over the original investment.

But, aside from Pack members, there's the thing that drove many of us to become Pack members in the first place--wanting a werewolf movie that doesn't suck. It's not just us; it's a huge untapped market that's time has come.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...