Body Condition Vs "THE BITE"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Being human is the curse. Consider that, and you will see what many therianthropes think.
I don't know about others but in the community I talk in we do not appreciate the 'I wish to run away stupid humanity'. I myself appreciate my humanity and the way it is. The people who think that way are little wishers and dreamers and quite ignorant. And its not just therianthropes who think this, alot of people wish to escape it. Yes, I do not appreciate all the harsh parts and confusion, yet look, I'm human! I am capable of long drown out thought and capabilities! I can talk and draw and throw rubber duckies! I can meet wonderful people on the internet, and eat beef jerky all day.
I appreciate my thumbs, upright stance, and ability to use remote controls correctly, thank you very much...
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote: I appreciate my thumbs, upright stance, and ability to use remote controls correctly, thank you very much...

And don't forget the video game controllers!!!
:D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:We've decided that the werewolf DNA does not replace the human's DNA, only modifying it somewhat.
"...we've Decided..."? Hardly. That option has been suggested and has recieved several comments of approval, but it has not been "DECIDED".

...everything we say here remains perpetually disputable. We can change out minds as many times as we want. There is plenty of room to disagree and insist upon ones personal preference...regardless of if it agrees with the general consensus or not.

Though the most Popular opinions will get the most attention in relation to potentially becoming part of "FreeBorn"s Base Logic for the Werewolves, THE PACK is more than just the "Devoured/FreeBorn" Movie message board now.

The Pack is a place to consider and discuss ALL potential versions of Lycanthropy, in film, literature, art and even music. (Though retaining a focus Most of the time on ideas applicable to 'Freeborn' will be more productive towards making the film stronger.)

...nothing is "Decided". We are "suggesting", "debating", "agreeing" and/or "disagreeing". ...that is all...

...just thought I should clear that up. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
...nothing is "Decided". We are "suggesting", "debating", "agreeing" and/or "disagreeing". ...that is all...

...just thought I should clear that up. Image
don't forget "commenting."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:We've decided that the werewolf DNA does not replace the human's DNA, only modifying it somewhat.
"...we've Decided..."? Hardly. That option has been suggested and has recieved several comments of approval, but it has not been "DECIDED".
I mean, well, we haven't decided that the werewolf injects his DNA, which in turn, wholely replaces his victim's DNA, have we?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
I mean, well, we haven't decided that the werewolf injects his DNA, which in turn, wholely replaces his victim's DNA, have we?
Neither... "WE" (as the collective whole of the pack) have not Decided on anything. For the time being, the popular opinion is against fully replacing the hosts DNA, but that opinion is still open to change if someone offers some evidence or logic to sway it otherwise.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

There is no spoon :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:There is no spoon :wink:

there's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path
IblisPendragon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ekte norsk varulv

Post by IblisPendragon »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Being human is the curse. Consider that, and you will see what many therianthropes think.
I don't know about others but in the community I talk in we do not appreciate the 'I wish to run away stupid humanity'. I myself appreciate my humanity and the way it is. The people who think that way are little wishers and dreamers and quite ignorant. And its not just therianthropes who think this, alot of people wish to escape it. Yes, I do not appreciate all the harsh parts and confusion, yet look, I'm human! I am capable of long drown out thought and capabilities! I can talk and draw and throw rubber duckies! I can meet wonderful people on the internet, and eat beef jerky all day.
The Werewolf Virus/Contagion would be Gender Neutral (NO Trans-Gender TFs), and would contain some "Cosmetic" / "Strain Specific" trait coding, but it would be passive, in a sense, so that, (depending on the individual), the person MIGHT inherit the Common Fur Color (for thier wolf form) of the perticular line of Werewolf that bit him/her, but it would also be possible for the persons own exiting genetics to override that perticular gene and keep their existng Hair color as their Fur color.
Ah, *Nods head.* Oh, and I'm quite sorry, hair and fur are the same. I'm a stupid arse. Everybody, throw rubber duckies!

Though what else can change here precisely? I see fur color changing, and eyes, but what other differences can be effected by the person's own gentic coding? Or does that not even matter. I'd still say that though if the traits are similair or the same that alot of them may be the same as what they are given.
EYES: Wolves have poor vision (in terms of "focus"). Therefore, would a persons vision "degrade" while in wolf form, being more like a natural wolves vision...or Is a Werwolf Different in that respect. Maybe Werwolves actually have "Exelent" vision, unlike their ferral conterparts. That would make them more impressive. ...but less like natural Wolves.
I think eyes would be neutral just as the gender sugestion.

?? Also as I've mentioned earleir, yet no one seemed to respond on: How much does the brain change?

I'd suspect that it should not change, but in order to use a different form wouldn't the nerves change and thus the brain must have a section in it to control it? Such as the tail, we do not have the information in our brains (that I know of, being once monkies we could.) to control a tail, won't we need that in a wolven form? Most of it has to do with the sizing and changing of the body and thus should still be used. Yet for new and unique parts, as the tail, how could we control it? Would the slight changes posibly happen before the first shift and then never change. Eh, confused.

The tail is an elongation of the spine, right? So instead of the brain sending messages to clench certain rump-muscles or something, it will just tell the tail to wag, or whatever wolves are supposed to do with their tail. It's like being a pup, you're not quite sure how to operate your body, you just try and fail, until you get it right..I suppose you'll get the information you need when you're bitten.

As for the word Lycanthropy, it's a great word really, but according to Encyclopedias the word describes a mental condition- Lycanthropy is when a person believes he is a wolf and tries to act like one, but he is really just a normal-looking human being. It is not used to describe the actual man turning into wolf condition...so I was wondering; Is there a better word for it? Though I doubt it..Lycanthropy is a wonderful word.
.? That is the problem with you mortals, you die too easily. You hardly fight back. A couple of pitiful screams and a little squirming and you are done. I can hardly call it satisfactory."

What's the point? They got their Keanu Reeves now...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Regardless of how the brain changes or doesn't change, the Wolf form ,will, like a normal wolf, be rather blind at long distances.

Its not a software (brain) problem, but a hardware (eye) problem. Wolves lack a certainpart in the eye, which makes them blind beyond a certain distance. Scientists have seen wolves walk past a rabbits only about 70 feet or yards (can't remeber which) away, and totally miss it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Aki wrote:Regardless of how the brain changes or doesn't change, the Wolf form ,will, like a normal wolf, be rather blind at long distances.

Its not a software (brain) problem, but a hardware (eye) problem. Wolves lack a certainpart in the eye, which makes them blind beyond a certain distance. Scientists have seen wolves walk past a rabbits only about 70 feet or yards (can't remeber which) away, and totally miss it.

What lacks in one area, another will make up for it. Wolves do have a keen sence of smell. But probably not as keen like a blood hound.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Neither... "WE" (as the collective whole of the pack) have not Decided on anything. For the time being, the popular opinion is against fully replacing the hosts DNA, but that opinion is still open to change if someone offers some evidence or logic to sway it otherwise.
So, rather than continue to draw this out, please make sense of what was said here:
If the lycan dna is stronger and consumes the human dna I think the human will die.
I AM TRYING TO SAY THAT THE WEREWOLF DNA DOES NOT CONSUME/WHOLELY REPLACE THE HUMAN DNA
Last edited by Apokryltaros on Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Calculon
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Yelling doesn't make you sound any bit smarter or more correct. FYI
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:Yelling doesn't make you sound any bit smarter or more correct. FYI
There, I toned it down a bit: Happy now?
-Calculon
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Apokryltaros wrote:I AM TRYING TO SAY THAT THE WEREWOLF DNA DOES NOT CONSUME/WHOLELY REPLACE THE HUMAN DNA
My poor ears :(

We are open to all kinds of opinions here, and nothing we have said in the past is ever set in stone. It is always open for review and discussion. We are talking about an imaginary creature here, and there's no way we can say that there is only one correct answer. Thus, Vuldari is correct in saying that nothing has been decided by the Pack on this matter. However, I do feel that he was being somewhat more critical than necessary on what was likely an innocent choice of words that even I, myself, have used in the past.

-- Vilkacis
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Eye's: Yes the hardware is a problem as well for wolves but remember that Werewolves are somewhere in between humans and wolves so it'd only make sense that thier eye-sight is somewhere in between.

Besides, eyes are very complicated, one of the most compicated parts of the body. It'd seem to me that taking the eyes from completly human to mostly wolf would test this viruses limits somewhat. Throw in the fact that it appears the eyes are changing the first and fastest and it begins seeming like more of a stretch

So, to me, logically the change would be somewhere inbetween, I would suggest that werewolves would lose some of thier ability to disiguish color, but could gain slightly better night vision. The ability to see moving objects "slightly" more clearly too "might" be a good idea, but I'm not sure how you portrey this in a movie.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

The thing about the wolf eyes is that we don't know how they view the world. There is no way we can answer that. Is the world to them in black and white? Can they see heat generated off the body? Does everything look greenish in pure darkness?

Try and answer those questions!!! :o

If it was possible, the only way to answer them is to surgically implant wolf eyes into a human. Then he can tell us what he sees.

Maybe one wolf can see better than the other. Its like that with humans. One human may not need glases while the next needs them. I know the glasses has different levels. I put on thick glasses just to see how the world looks. Man, I got dizzy!!! Talk about out of focus!! :o
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well the regenerative nature may fix some forms of near-sightedness, but probably not all forms.

Transplanting wolf eyes onto humans probably wouldn't answer the question as werewolves arn't wolves. If you know some RL werewolves who wouldn't mind donating thier eyes please let me know. ;)

As for, it's impossible to show.... well, you could do one of those camera POV things to represent a WW's POV. However I'm not sure how much you can do with that and a decision on how they see things would need to be made
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Figarou wrote:The thing about the wolf eyes is that we don't know how they view the world. There is no way we can answer that. Is the world to them in black and white? Can they see heat generated off the body? Does everything look greenish in pure darkness?
The world isn't black and white, ast least, not entirely. Tests have proven Wolves can at least perceive Yellow and Red well. It shouldn't take a genuis to figure out what in a Wolf's world is those colors and important.

Seeing heat generated by the body requires infra-red vision, saomething a Wolf lacks.

And in Pure dark-ness a Wolf would be blind. They have low-light vision like us, and in the lowest condition they can see, like us, everything is black and white. Due to lack of light to perceive colors fully.

But in pure darkness, blind. Vision for us and them works by picking up light. If there is none, you can't see. Simple as that. Its like trying to breath without air.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Aki wrote:They have low-light vision like us, and in the lowest condition they can see, like us, everything is black and white. Due to lack of light to perceive colors fully.
Um...I never see things in simple black & white... At night when there's not much light to pick up everything looks mostly blue with the darkest things black. Though the odd thing about my vision is sometimes things can have a transparent reddish tint, even the sky. I also see black shadows as having a layer of color in them, and that's even in total darkness. Color, shade, and shape varies and it's not something I could describe. You'd need my eyes to understand it fully.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Reilune wrote:
Aki wrote:They have low-light vision like us, and in the lowest condition they can see, like us, everything is black and white. Due to lack of light to perceive colors fully.
Um...I never see things in simple black & white... At night when there's not much light to pick up everything looks mostly blue with the darkest things black. Though the odd thing about my vision is sometimes things can have a transparent reddish tint, even the sky. I also see black shadows as having a layer of color in them, and that's even in total darkness. Color, shade, and shape varies and it's not something I could describe. You'd need my eyes to understand it fully.
Not black and white, but, still, very difficult to distinguish one color from another in the dark.
I mean, how can you tell your burgundy shoes from your midnight blue shoes?
-Calculon
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Reilune wrote:
Not black and white, but, still, very difficult to distinguish one color from another in the dark.
I mean, how can you tell your burgundy shoes from your midnight blue shoes?
Yeah, its close enough that it doesn't really matter.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote: The world isn't black and white, ast least, not entirely. Tests have proven Wolves can at least perceive Yellow and Red well. It shouldn't take a genuis to figure out what in a Wolf's world is those colors and important.
Actually dogs and wolves have color vision similar to a person who is red-green colorblind, so they can only see blues and yellows. I found a neat image comparing the color spectrum of a human and the color spectrum of a dog a while back:

What they gain in low-light sensitivity , they lose in visual acuity. Humans have it pretty good in the sight department.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Yeah, humans do have it pretty good when it comes to sight, which is probably why our other senses don't need to be as sharp.

Still.... I would still advocate putting a werewolf's vision somewhere in between human and wolf if only the simplify things some. All other reasons I've listed aside, a werewolf might have a pretty hard time trying to relearn how to identify things visually ontop of mastering thier sharpened hearing and smell.

Okay, here's how I think a werewolf would see things.

As you can see, yellow takes up a wider part of the spectrum but green and red are still present. The main difference between werewolf and human vision would largely be that while by in large most of the same colors would be viewable, they'd be washed out to the point where subtle variations between one color and another would be very difficult. Plus there would be slightly better low light sight, but not very much.

In short, accuity is still being traded off for low light vision, but just not on as great a scale.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Something tells me that werewolves won't go blind simply from changing back and forth between forms.
Unless they watched that movie "Eyes of the Werewolf"
-Calculon