pointless talking

Here you will find forum type games to play.
Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure

Post by Zombie »

Yeah, if you use anything less than a 16" (or something that totals at least 16") bbl on anything that isnt registered a pistol, or a NFA registered full auto, you can get into big-time trouble with the federales. And if something was registered as a pistol, having a shoulder stock on it as a big no-no too, unless it is also registered as a NFA machine pistol. I dunno how much you budget into firearms, but if you plan on getting into the NFA scene, be prepared to spend a LOT! Some examples....

M-16 A1 (full auto) about $16,500.00
M-16 A2 (semi and 3round burst) about $18,000.00
LM&T M-203 (registered Destructive Device 40mm Grenade Launcher) $1,600.00
IMI Uzi (full auto machine pistol with shoulder stock) around $8,800.00
FN M-249 SAW/MiniMi (Belt-fed full auto machine gun) $75,000.00 (no, thats NOT a typo!)

and the big one....
FN M-240 B (belt-fed full auto machine gun) $120,000.00+ ! :eyeroll3:

Those prices to not reflect sales tax, paperwork, and the mandatory $200.00 transfer fee.

-Zombie
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Zombie wrote:Yeah, if you use anything less than a 16" (or something that totals at least 16") bbl on anything that isnt registered a pistol, or a NFA registered full auto, you can get into big-time trouble with the federales. And if something was registered as a pistol, having a shoulder stock on it as a big no-no too, unless it is also registered as a NFA machine pistol. I dunno how much you budget into firearms, but if you plan on getting into the NFA scene, be prepared to spend a LOT! Some examples....

M-16 A1 (full auto) about $16,500.00
M-16 A2 (semi and 3round burst) about $18,000.00
LM&T M-203 (registered Destructive Device 40mm Grenade Launcher) $1,600.00
IMI Uzi (full auto machine pistol with shoulder stock) around $8,800.00
FN M-249 SAW/MiniMi (Belt-fed full auto machine gun) $75,000.00 (no, thats NOT a typo!)

and the big one....
FN M-240 B (belt-fed full auto machine gun) $120,000.00+ ! :eyeroll3:

Those prices to not reflect sales tax, paperwork, and the mandatory $200.00 transfer fee.

-Zombie
yeah i dont need any of that im quite fine and happy with what i have. :P
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I realized there wasn't an error, it just decided not to do anything with the files. I've decided to delete them manually, which is surprisingly not taking as long as expected. Taking a break, though. Save for the 167 viruses found in different areas, those 50454 threats all come from a folder marked "/_/" in the Shared folder, and appear to all be pirated software, movies, and video games.

This is ridiculous. What odd virus does nothing more than cause the download of tens of thousands of pirated files?
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

ravaged_warrior wrote:And it failed... At around 50000. I don't know what to do to get rid of what it found... This sucks.
Holy crap! Man, I have no idea where to dump something like that either. I suppose if you don't have any important files on there (Which I doubt.) you could take it off to a local computer place to have it wiped...but I don't think you want to do that. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Don't worry, I got it. I found the folder and have been manually deleting it. Pain in the a** since there's so many, but it's working out pretty well. Besides, the viruses that were really doing harm to my computer have been taken care of. I can access the task manager, access the command prompt, and install games off of CDs now! I'm very happy. But damn... 1/4 of the scanned files were those viruses in the hidden /_/ folder.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I devour cookies and crap happiness!
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Kaebora wrote:I devour cookies and crap happiness!

NUMMY lck
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

i want a cookie too lck
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Don't worry, I got it. I found the folder and have been manually deleting it. Pain in the a** since there's so many, but it's working out pretty well. Besides, the viruses that were really doing harm to my computer have been taken care of. I can access the task manager, access the command prompt, and install games off of CDs now! I'm very happy. But damn... 1/4 of the scanned files were those viruses in the hidden /_/ folder.
I'd still be worried about having viruses on your computer. For all you know, all they are doing is downloading warez to some folder. I have a suspicious feeling that your computer was a part of a p2p botnet. Simply erasing a folder shouldn't cure the problem, just alleviate the symptoms. Viruses are also more than just for trashing your computer. If there ever is an intrusion, there is the potential a virus can obtain your personal data stored on your computer.

I highly recommend a re-installation of the operating system and then a lock-down of system resources before using the internet to patch security holes. Don't set up any internet connection until after you have secured your operating system! *very important*

For some nice reading on how you can take control of your operating system, have a look at 70-270: MCSE Guide to Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Second Edition, Enhanced by Ted Simpson, Stanley Reimer, and Martin Keding.
http://www.course.com/catalog/product.c ... 19-21751-8

I can't tell you the number of instances this book helped me out in real life. This book helped me rule all the Windows Xp computers with an Iron Fist. And so far, I've been hearing no trouble from my family member's whom I've set up their computers with. It's a great read. And if you feel confident, the cd that comes with the book gives you a practice Microsoft certification test.

I guess I've spoke too much. I hope I've helped tho.
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l

Post by darkest wolf »

I should probably shut up now, psiguy seems to know what he's talking about.

ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Unfortunately, I don't have the reinstallation CD... And if I did, I have too many important files on here that I wouldn't want to lose. However, we've been talking about scrapping this computer in the next year, so maybe I could do something then.

Really, though, you'd be surprised at how far this piece of crap has come since last night's virus scan. Mostly the task manager, command prompt, and installing programs off of CDs, but those are important!
-Jack Handey
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by psiguy »

Darkest Wolf - Just because I spend years with learning the intricacies of IT Security doesn't make my word "the" word. You have something nice to say, please speak up! I don't bite. :D

Ravaged Warrior - That is unfortunate that you do not have a re installation disk. If you do need a disaster recovery tool, it might interest you to create a Linux Live cd. These are full fledged operating systems that run off of a cd (they don't need to be installed onto a hard drive to work). Linux Live cds can access your hard drive so that you can recover data in the event that your operating system is no longer usable. They also contain some useful tools such as cd/dvd burning software so you can back up the data before you decide to wipe it clean.

My favorite Linux Live cd distribution happens to be Wolvix, a wolf themed Linux distro. http://wolvix.org/ I'm sure that you'd like it too when given the time to play around with it.

In the meantime, get yourself a new user-level account on that computer. Also, feel free to talk this out via, AIM. I might answer you when I'm on. :PC:

darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l

Post by darkest wolf »

You have experience, I'm an average computer user. I'm not afraid to speak up, I just don't have anything useful or helpful to say. :P Thanks though. :D

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

:woof:
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

psiguy wrote:Darkest Wolf - Just because I spend years with learning the intricacies of IT Security doesn't make my word "the" word. You have something nice to say, please speak up! I don't bite. :D

Ravaged Warrior - That is unfortunate that you do not have a re installation disk. If you do need a disaster recovery tool, it might interest you to create a Linux Live cd. These are full fledged operating systems that run off of a cd (they don't need to be installed onto a hard drive to work). Linux Live cds can access your hard drive so that you can recover data in the event that your operating system is no longer usable. They also contain some useful tools such as cd/dvd burning software so you can back up the data before you decide to wipe it clean.

My favorite Linux Live cd distribution happens to be Wolvix, a wolf themed Linux distro. http://wolvix.org/ I'm sure that you'd like it too when given the time to play around with it.

In the meantime, get yourself a new user-level account on that computer. Also, feel free to talk this out via, AIM. I might answer you when I'm on. :PC:
I actually have a Yoper CD that supports Live CD usage. However, I don't know how to set it up so that it accesses existing files. I created it when I was toying around with the idea of getting a different Linux OS (my own, non-shared personal computer is an Ark Linux, which is great, and has the exact same desktop setup as Yoper, but for some reason would not support my graphics card... hilariously enough, the Ark Linux forum hates Windows with a vengeance, despite the obvious Windows knockoff desktop). It wouldn't install correctly, though, so if I chose to use Yoper, I'd be stuck with a purely Live CD version.

Unfortunately (damn it, another one!), I don't know if my mom has her password for this XP, so a new user account would be a bad idea, methinks... And for now, I'm not sure how a Live CD could be useful to me... Could you elaborate?

As for Wolvix, I must say the idea of it intrigues me, especially since it caters to a very singular audience. Looks very similar to the Mac desktop, though, which I never liked. I always liked having a Start/K Menu. Also, I'm not sure I want to risk another CD to an OS disk that might not work. Yoper was one of the many that failed. It wasn't the download that was bad, I don't think, but the computer I've been using... My dad took special care to buy it on the cheap, even passing up an obviously supremely superior computer to it because it cost about forty dollars more.

Finally, I have good news about my computer's current state: Though I haven't finished getting rid of that awful /_/ directory, my computer, after a while of semi-suck, has finally cleaned up it's act. Earlier there were some hiccups, but it's much better this evening. :roll: Anyway, I'm in a good mood now because of this and because this is just another in a series of events of my computer problems looking up, which started with my realization that Linux might be the way to go, seemed to be hindering when my graphics card couldn't work at it's peak with my Linux, looked up again with the realization that my dad's computer, bad as it is, could technically run 3D games fairly okay, and keeps looking up since then. God, as much as I hate summer, I f*** love summer vacation.

Thank you for your help so far, psiguy. If I have more computer trouble, I'll ask you... That is, if that's fine with you.
And maybe you, too, darkest_wolf, unless you say otherwise.
-Jack Handey
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

psiguy wrote:My favorite Linux Live cd distribution happens to be Wolvix, a wolf themed Linux distro. http://wolvix.org/ I'm sure that you'd like it too when given the time to play around with it.
I'm nowhere near techie enough to be able to run Linux, but damn that system looks nice.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Midnight wrote:
psiguy wrote:My favorite Linux Live cd distribution happens to be Wolvix, a wolf themed Linux distro. http://wolvix.org/ I'm sure that you'd like it too when given the time to play around with it.
I'm nowhere near techie enough to be able to run Linux, but damn that system looks nice.
Neither am I, but from what I've seen out of my Ark Linux, it's worth chuggin' along at my pace... But without Linux, my computer has no OS, so that might be the reason.
-Jack Handey
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by psiguy »

ravaged_warrior wrote:I actually have a Yoper CD that supports Live CD usage. However, I don't know how to set it up so that it accesses existing files.
On wolvix, hard drives are automatically mounted. Their contents can be located in the directory "/mnt/hd*#" where * stands for the letter a-z and # represents a number. It's unfortunately more technical than accessing the contents of the hard drive like "C:", but I guess that's how it is done in the UNIX world.
ravaged_warrior wrote:I created it when I was toying around with the idea of getting a different Linux OS ...... hilariously enough, the Ark Linux forum hates Windows with a vengeance, despite the obvious Windows knockoff desktop
I am not amused. Most of us Linux folks take on a "holier-than-thou" attitude. I must be one of the unholy ones. :evilwolf:

My desktop operating system is called Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/
Since you enjoy the kde environment, my recommendation would be to use Kubuntu. http://www.kubuntu.org/

Both are live cd operating systems so you can try it out and make up your mind. I find that Ubuntu plays nice with my hardware (especially my wireless card). Things like 3d card drivers should be less of a hassle to install as it can be done graphically w/o a command line.

As for wolvix, I recommend that as a back-up live cd so you can move your data off the hard drive and onto some other form of media before wiping that disk clean. I find it better as a tool instead of a user-friendly windows replacement.
ravaged_warrior wrote:Unfortunately (damn it, another one!), I don't know if my mom has her password for this XP, so a new user account would be a bad idea
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Please use responsibly. I'm only showing you this because I believe that you'd only use this to increase the security of your computer, not exploit it.
ravaged_warrior wrote:methinks... And for now, I'm not sure how a Live CD could be useful to me... Could you elaborate?
If I were to explain the uses of a live cd, I might take a whole page or so.
This should quench your thirst of knowledge just fine. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveCD

ravaged_warrior wrote:As for Wolvix, I must say the idea of it intrigues me, especially since it caters to a very singular audience. Looks very similar to the Mac desktop, though, which I never liked.
I was initially thrown off by the design of gnome and xfce. I've grown to like their design, but that doesn't mean you have to. I'll keep in mind that you prefer kde. I'm no expert at the kde environment, but if I find something with kde that you might be interested in, I'll point you in that direction.
ravaged_warrior wrote:Finally, I have good news about my computer's current state: Though I haven't finished getting rid of that awful /_/ directory, my computer, after a while of semi-suck, has finally cleaned up it's act. Earlier there were some hiccups, but it's much better this evening. :roll:
I just hope that the only thing the virus is doing is sucking up resources. I'd be #%#$%'n pissed to know that my confidential data is being leaked to someone else around the world. Information is something that you can have and yet give away. And when you give away information, it is not like you can take it back and let the other person un-know the stuff you gave them. Life doesn't work that way. :(
ravaged_warrior wrote:Thank you for your help so far, psiguy. If I have more computer trouble, I'll ask you... That is, if that's fine with you.
And maybe you, too, darkest_wolf, unless you say otherwise.
I've set it so that I automatically log in to my AIM account. Feel free to come by and chat with me. Your AIM account is Jskatrdude2 right?

cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

This is POINTLESS TALKING!!!!!!
I regret to inform you that Ravaged Warrior's technical problems with linux are far from pointless...

But this is:

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE HATED, TO BE FATED TO...

WHO WHO WHO ARE YOU?
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by psiguy »

I am The Devil....

I came for your soul!!! :wings:

wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

AHHH DEVIL!!!!!

*takes out machine gun* DIE!!!!!
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Let's hope they don't have anything personal. According to all of the dates on the files (even the newer ones, like Are We Done Yet), this little operation has been going on since March of last year. If there was anything to get (which wouldn't be much, really), it's gotten.

And Kubuntu sounds interesting. You say it'll work with a wireless card? I won't need the installation CD for the card, will I? I'm afraid my dad has lost it and hasn't really gone to great lengths to find it. Which would be fine, I could find it myself, but it's almost definitely in his room, which he doesn't let me in.

I'll try this Kubuntu thing out... It doesn't look any different than Ark Linux, but then again, neither did Crackdown in comparison to GTA.
-Jack Handey
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by psiguy »

:read2: - "Shhh! There will be no talking in the turnip room!"

wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

TOE JAM!!!!!!!!!
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Does that taste good with peanut butter?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora