MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Ever Wanted A Weird Pet?

Post by MoonKit »

http://www.ratkateersrodentry.com/

They've got everything from foxes to squirrels to prairie dogs and raccoons.

Ive been trying to convince my mate to think about getting an oppossum. :love: Or at least a skunk. :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

Careful, in some states certain animals you need a license to keep as a pet, and some animals are just illegal to have as pets.
(Such as California, Ferrets are illegal)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Oh yeah I know. In NJ you need a permit for ferrets that you have to renew once a year. So I paid the thirty bucks for my three and now Im legally allowed to have them until January of next year when I have to renew.

I looked up skunks and it says that you can have one in NJ so long as its breed in NJ and you also need a permit. Not sure about opossums but I doubt my mate would ever actually agree to that! I got enough pets at the moment anyway. :)
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

A skunk? :o You're nuts.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

spongypants23 wrote:A skunk? :o You're nuts.
:lol: No I was looking them up and they're really cute. AND they're descented so none of that spraying stuff, just like the ferrets. I like that they're not as much responsibility as a dog but that they'll snuggle on the couch with you. But thats what my mate said too. :lol:
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

I guess I can manage descented...wait, ferrets spray stuff too? And I hear you on the not as much responsibility. I had rats once, they were the most adorable things ever. Almost better than a dog. :D
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Everything I wanted to say about weird pets I posted here.
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=5343

Either a Wallaby, or a Sugar Glider. :D
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Ferrets dont spray in the way that skunks do. They dont have a smell that can get on you. But when excited or scared they can let off a smell. It dissapates in a minute or two and isnt really a big deal but people think ferrets stink to begin with (not sure why) so thats why they get descented too.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I warn you guys against wierd pets. Not only because some states have laws aganst them ( mostly for agricultural purposes ) but also because non-domesticated pets can be very npredictable, and many just don't make affectionate pets like a dog or cat does.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I would like a fox or maybe a squirrel!!

They are so cute!! :love:
THE GAME

My Armory
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Cute yes, but not necessarily make for good pets.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

I was reading it and it said that the larger foxes (not sure about the little ones with the big ears) need to be kept outdoors because they pee over EVERYTHING, including you. They are very cute though. Ah well.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

MattSullivan wrote:I warn you guys against wierd pets. Not only because some states have laws aganst them ( mostly for agricultural purposes ) but also because non-domesticated pets can be very npredictable, and many just don't make affectionate pets like a dog or cat does.
Owning exotic pets CAN be one's undoing, but there are ways to avoid the worst case senerios from happening.

1. Research the exotic animal of choice EXTENSIVELY before purchasing.

2. Talk to breeders and current/past owners of the same type of animal about how to care for them.

3. Keep the breeder's phone number at your bedside in case of complications.

4. Research which states allow domestication of the exotic animal, and make sure you wont be raising or transporting the animal through those areas.

5. Find a veteranarian in your area that can care for your exotic pet. If you prefer the one you already have, ask him if he will research medical data for you.

6. Buy and set up everything needed to take care of the animal before buying it.

7. Research the exotic animal of choice EXTENSIVELY before purchasing.

8. Research the exotic animal of choice EXTENSIVELY before purchasing.

Oh. Almost forgot...
Research the exotic animal of choice EXTENSIVELY before purchasing.

To me, the worst that can happen with owning an exotic pet is an owner that discovers he/she can't care for it. They are left with trying to dump the animal in a zoo (which almost NEVER takes it in), finding another owner, or locating a sancuary that specializes in that particular animal. An unwanted exotic is typically a dead exotic. Don't buy one unless you are absolutely prepared for what the animal will require.
-Kaebora
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Personally, I always wanted a camel.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Z wrote:
but not as much as i want a hyena =]
:lol: I dont think there ever are breeders for that! :lol: But it is nice to dream.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

MoonKit wrote:
Z wrote:
but not as much as i want a hyena =]
:lol: I dont think there ever are breeders for that! :lol: But it is nice to dream.
Hyenas I imagine are more agressive than wolves. Even as domesticated animals, they would definately still remain to be agressive to some degree. This is an uneducated guess, so slap me with a fish if I'm wrong.
:P
-Kaebora
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

personally I would be better off getting a dog/cat/etc. from an animal shelter. but that is off topic.

I would imagine you would want to make SURE that the animal has been bread in captivity, and not been taken from the wild. That is just wrong.
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Taking an animal from the wild is called "poaching". It is illegal. There is so much paperwork involved in owning an exotic pet, that getting away with it is impossible.
-Kaebora
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

geekboy1500 wrote:personally I would be better off getting a dog/cat/etc. from an animal shelter. but that is off topic.
Quite a high number of exotics end up in shelters because their owners just thought it would be cool to own a skunk and didnt read up on them so you could find one there. :D
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Z wrote:however they did agree it would be interesting to own a capuchin monkey.
It may sound like a nice idea but I really hope none of you are seriously considering getting any type of monkey for a pet. Primates are horrible little things. Too many people learn that the hard way. They're mean, they bite, they're nasty, they require very specialized diets and medical care, and they can even make you sick. Many diseases a monkey can get are easily spread to humans. They're not good pets.

(And...yeah, just my protective side kicking in here. It's really better for both the humans and the animals if wild animals are left wild and not kept in cages for people's amusement.)
Kaebora wrote:Hyenas I imagine are more agressive than wolves. Even as domesticated animals, they would definately still remain to be agressive to some degree. This is an uneducated guess, so slap me with a fish if I'm wrong.
Hyenas don't put up with any s***, that's certainly true. I've never heard of someone attempting to keep one as a pet before. It doesn't sound like a good idea.

And by the way...hand raised =/= domesticated. It takes thousands of years to domesticate an animal. No creature will be tame simply because you had it since it was a baby.
Kaebora wrote:Taking an animal from the wild is called "poaching". It is illegal. There is so much paperwork involved in owning an exotic pet, that getting away with it is impossible.
I wish that were true. Unfortunately, many people still buy animals from poachers, even if they don't go out and get the animal themselves.
Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure

Post by Zombie »

I had a raccon a few years ago. When there small, sure they are all cute and cuddley, but as they grow, they want to be more independant. It went from being and indoor raccoon to a indoor/outdoor raccoon. They are clean, but thay can and will climb ANYTHING (even stuff that YOU think is un-climbable) and they can and will tear up your house if left unsupervised for a little while. They have to touch everything, at any cost, even if it means they have to knock over anything that might happen to be in the way. They like to play a game called "Gee, toilet paper sure is fun when its wet!" and spash around in the tub or an open toilet, usually with half a roll of toilet paper that they unrolled.

Kaebora is right, so Ill say it for all of you again...

THOUROUGHLY RESEARCH THE ANIMAL YOU ARE CONSIDERING GETTING!!!!

I did, and my raccoon still threw me for a little bit of a loop sometimes. Like one of the things that I researched is that they can be affectionate. Sure, they are affectionate, but what it didnt say is they like to bite/nibble at your ears while showing said affection. Sometimes hard. They wont listen to you. They act somewhat like a cat, you can huff and puff all you want, they will do whatever the hell they want to do.

Eventually it was killed on one of its outdoor excursions. I found the carcass 3 days later, bitten in half. (We have cougars and bears around here) He was about 30 lbs when alive, so he musta put up a hell of a fight before he went down.

I didnt get another raccoon.

-Z
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Who doesn't like free food? :P

I'd hardly say that means they prefer captive life over being wild. Any animal - even domesticated ones - will try to get OUT and run around free no matter how good they're treated. It's not natural for them to be cooped up in cages, houses, or backyards.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

Z wrote: Image
Damn, thats one big Golliath-hyena! :o
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Is that a cat in the corner of that picture? It doesnt look too happy!
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

MoonKit wrote:
geekboy1500 wrote:personally I would be better off getting a dog/cat/etc. from an animal shelter. but that is off topic.
Quite a high number of exotics end up in shelters because their owners just thought it would be cool to own a skunk and didnt read up on them so you could find one there. :D
touche. :D
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.