Ever Wanted A Weird Pet?

The place for anything at all...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

One thing I haven't noticed (might have missed it though) is any thought given to the climate of the area anyone's planning on keeping their unusual pet. Hyenas for example... They're African and probably wouldn't do particularly well in a cold climate. (Z, would that be about right?) I don't know much about American geography or how mild the winters in California are likely to be so that would be something to think about as well if you're ever in the position to get one.

As for wallabies... they've acclimatised to the Waitaki valley area (so much so that they've occasionally been a bit of a pest) and I don't think there's any protection of them (they're not exactly endangered over here as far as I know, and they're an introduced species anyway). It's a fairly dry area with occasionally harsh winters. Kaebora, I can't remember where in America you are but as long as it's somewhere reasonably dry it should actually be possible to keep wallabies. I don't know much about the things, though... but they'd probably do better in a paddock than as a house pet. But it would definitely be worthwhile doing the background research to see if it's feasible to own one.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

If the dog primarily lives indoors, you don't have to clip its hair. My pet dog, a Japanese Spitz, has long white hair. The color keeps her from absorbing heat, but we still keep her indoors. She also is never left outside for longer than fifteen minutes, whether she's going potty, or taken for a walk. Central New Mexico weather isn't forgiving to longhair breeds, but we keep her cool.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Yeah, that would be bad. Some owners like the extra fluff on their dogs just to stand out. Damn prissy rich folks using their living breathing animals to attract attention. The dog's well-being should come first. Either keep them indoors, or shave that hotdog! (Yay! I made a pun!)
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

It works the other way too. If you've got a short haired breed with a thin body (greyhound, chihuahua etc) and it spends a lot of time in snowy weather, you darn well better get that thing a coat! Maybe even a snood. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

Heh, I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Z's right, as well as Kaebora and MoonKit. I guess they buy it for the looks, climate later. (He he, I'm a tape recorder.). Its kind of sad actually.

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill