werewolf culture

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

werewolf culture

Post by lycan94 »

lycan94 has started this to explain werewolf culture rvt hwlwnk
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I don't believe there is culture among werewolves, but rather a culture within a pack. And ofcourse it vary's in each pack.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Of course a huge amount of their culture would spring from thier human side. As for influence from the pack, I think that would depend on if the packs are in comunication with eachother. If they have a way of chatting (like conventions or forums) then thier culture would be homogenous with small variations for regien. Otherwise I agree with Morkuly that each pack would have a unique culture.
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycan94 »

are you so sure. i know afew werewolves, and there is no different cultures between packs
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

lycan94 wrote:are you so sure. i know afew werewolves, and there is no different cultures between packs
Why did you have to ruin your topic like this.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Zen and the art of duckie tossing

Post by Scott Gardener »

Explain werewolf culture... where to begin?

I believe we covered a lot of it over the past three years, so I'll start by referring the reader to our extensive, even obsessive prior discussions on this forum. I'll then have to jump in with some broad generalizations.

Discussion of werewolf culture is largely hypothetical, since even those among us who do believe that werewolves exist have so far been unwilling or unable to provide definitive evidence to substantiate the belief. I will approach it from the perspective of a writer, since most of us form in our minds our own fictional constructs of how it could work. Note that even those who believe they're real have to extrapolate, unless they know more than the rest of us.

The lack of definitive proof of werewolves brings up the first cultural point--secrecy. Werewolves must somehow not want to be known to the rest of the human world--at least in stories set in the modern world or something akin to it. The reasons for secrecy are pretty straightforward, and I won't bore you by rehashing it yet again. The means of enforcing secrecy are varied, but the main points would involve not telling the humans in general and being very selective about who does or doesn't get bitten. (This assumes the contagious bite method is part of the storyline. Hereditary werewolf storylines would be somewhat easier to keep secret.)

The next cultural element I would wonder about would be the degree of contact with other werewolves--if werewolves are very rare, then there won't be much culture at all outside of human context. If werewolves are more common, then there's likely to be more political intreague, more ceremony and ritual, perhaps an internal philosophy or religion. There would also be greater pressure to keep the secret, which could lead to an internal system of enforcing the rules.

A large enough culture can spawn subculture and counterculture. (the RPG Vampire: the Masquerade considered this with a group of vampire rebels known as "the Sabbat" in opposition to the mainstream "Camarilla".) One can see byproducts of counterculture, such as slang terms, coming up. We've contemplated all kinds of nicknames for getting bitten or being a werewolf. "This is Mike. He got hit with the duckie last week, and with our periods coming up, he's a little nervous about... going on his first drive."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

P-shifter.
Troller.
Mods.
Delete.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

There should be a nifty 'X'-button in the corner of this topic for mods. :D
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

lycan94 wrote:I know a few werewolves
You know some werewolves?! You have to introduce us! Are you one yourself? How much of the information is correct on this forum? Is the shapeshifting ability learnable or transferable? Out with the answers, man! You've just made all this speculation pale in comparison to your truth. Of course, you'll have to present some evidence, (welcome to the world of science) but once you have then we can learn so much!
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

lycan94 wrote:are you so sure. i know afew werewolves, and there is no different cultures between packs
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

lycan94 wrote:i know afew werewolves
No you don't. You now have three options:

1. Prove it. The least likely option.
2. Recant your statement. In the very likely case that the first is impossible, this is your best option.
3. Alienate yourself from the rest of the forum for making a logically and biologically impossible statement. The obvious worst option.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

lycan94 wrote:are you so sure. i know a few werewolves, and there is no different cultures between packs
Hmmmm, no.... no you don't.

Since you're new here I'll fill you in. Werewolves don't exist in the first place, at lest none who actually physically change into one. Don't claim that you are one or you know one, unless you have some out standing proof.

Any way I'll humor you and talk about culture among weres in my fiction. Werewolves are very unified, they have a strong sense of camaraderie with members of their own race. This comes from the countless centuries of human persecution, making them rely heavily on one another for survival. So unity is very big in a were's culture.
THE GAME

My Armory
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Okee-Dokee, lycan94 let's explain something.
First, either the members of this forum are Pro-Werewolf or are Pro-transformations in general: note some of the siggies aren't wulfen at all.
IF and I say IF Were's existed, AND WE KNEW IT- We'd deny their reality and do everything we could to assure that the general run of people agreed that they were impossible and just legendary.
Why? Because we Humans do not play well with others, that's why.
SO: Werewolves do not exist. We do not support the concept of their existence. They are legends.
Unless they were to change that, themselves. Yeah, we'd try to poke holes in that, too.
So: you do not know any Werewolves. Get it? They don't exist, get it?
Even if there is one shifting right beside you: they still don't exist.
It's called Respect.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

If he said he knew werewolves as in therians or other type of otherkin-wolves, I could have believed it. But I doubt he meant that since he was mentioning they lived in a pack.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Morkulv wrote:
Why did you have to ruin your topic like this.
Personally he ruined it for me when he referred to himself in the third person. :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Yeah, but that could have been sarcasm. :P
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycan94 »

Kelpten,07/17/07
:howl:  :oo
on march 30 of 2007, strange howls were heard in Isle minnesota.
On march31, two dead bodies were found.
One cattle, one human, both mutilated in the same fashion as le bete le Genavudaun( The beast of Genavudaun for those who don't speak French).
Heads torn off, throat ripped out, ribs chewed on, and large slightly human cannine tracks found all around.
Man was Jhon Doe, a drifter( yet to be identified), cattle paid for by insurance
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

lycan94 wrote:Kelpten,07/17/07
:howl:  :oo
on march 30 of 2007, strange howls were heard in Isle minnesota.
On march31, two dead bodies were found.
One cattle, one human, both mutilated in the same fashion as le bete le Genavudaun( The beast of Genavudaun for those who don't speak French).
Heads torn off, throat ripped out, ribs chewed on, and large slightly human cannine tracks found all around.
Man was Jhon Doe, a drifter( yet to be identified), cattle paid for by insurance
No link and no proof that it's tied to werewolves at all. This vague speculation is not the kind of evidence we are talking about. You say you know werewolves, meaning you should at least be able to get a picture or something...
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycan94 »

Kelpten07/17/07,
I know one who can answer all your lycanthrope related ?
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

lycan94 I'm going to be blunt,

unless you got some photos or a movie of a werewolf were aren't going to believe a word you are saying. You're making your self look like a total douche by trying to convince us that you interacted with a mythological beast. Trying to make your self look cool for a new group of people in the process.

It's okay that you believe in werewolves, but us older and a bit jaded members are going to need more proof than the word a 13 year old kid, and some circumstantial evidence that doesn't prove anything.
THE GAME

My Armory
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I wonder if he'll react when i call Selena and her friends...
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Aw :( , you sounded as if you knew a werewolf personally, especially as you claimed to have inside knowledge of their culture. Will I forever be doomed to a world of uncertainty, forced to exercise not but faith? Will the shapeshifter's gift remain a will o' the wisp of my imagination until the beautiful possibility lures me into the depths of insanity after years of self estrangement?

And why are all your posts addressed to me, Lycan :?
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Oh, and I tried to find an article of some sort to see if the story in Ilse Minisota had any backing and I sadly couldn't find anything. I figured that would make front page news of the local paper. Do you have any links for me Lycan? Please? :puppyeyes:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

lycan94 wrote:Kelpten07/17/07,
I know one who can answer all your lycanthrope related ?
Tadaa, see here: evidence number one that you are talking s***.

Lycanthropy is a mental disease. The reason its often related to werewolvism is because patients infected with lycanthropy often think they are shapeshifting beasts. If you don't believe me, look it up. You can even get medication for lycanthropy.

Furthermore I agree with Anubis.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:P-shifter.
Troller.
Mods.
Delete.

How about....locked.

Sorry....we don't need this type of disscussion, lycan94.

If you DO happen to know some werewolves....fine......keep it to yourself.