Origins

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

Native americans believe in totem animals an that to become closer to one totem you must become it
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Re: Orgins

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote: A)It was a free prize from a cereal. (Fruit Brute)

B) A wolf sneezed at a human sending wolf DNA and green colored mucas.

C) Someone stepped in something.

D) None of the above.
M) Someone forgot to wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

N) Evolutionary advantage to get *all* the bubbles in the bubblewrap.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote: N) Evolutionary advantage to get *all* the bubbles in the bubblewrap.
heh, you like popping those things to? :lol:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote: N) Evolutionary advantage to get *all* the bubbles in the bubblewrap.
heh, you like popping those things to? :lol:
Oh yes, sometimes even more than whatever it was I got them with.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Raina The Werewolf Queen wrote:Native americans believe in totem animals an that to become closer to one totem you must become it
*nods* The whole concept specifically of the "werewolf" is European, but stories about shapeshifters abound all across the world.

I remember in another thread, somebody brought up kitsunes from East Asian lore, and someone else (probably me) suggested that maybe werewolves and kitsunes are the same species, but where the Europeans thought they most closely resembled wolves, the Asians thought they most closely resembled foxes.

So if you go with that possibility: that lycanthropes have been around just as long as civilized man has, it could simply be that lycanthropes are an evolutionary fluke.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Heh, if you wanted an origin of the species you could go a dozen different directions.

You could tie it into mythalogy and have King Lycan be the first werewolf, or you could add a sci-fi twist and have the Gods of Olympus be ultra advanced alien beings. Admittedly that last bit is cheesy and could easily become the butt of many.

Then there's the magical route in which the first werewolf was either cursed by a, I dunno a celtic group or whatever. Or that the first werewolf simply mistook a spell-book for a cook-book.

There's the less cheesy but equally unrealistic sci-fi route in which werewolfism is a virus that was created as a result of an evolutionary fluke, genetic engineering, nano-engineering or leaving the McDonalds secret sauce in the sun too long.

I myself prefer the "there is no origin," approach, and instead simply stating that, "it just happens, we don't really know why. The rest of the options are all well and good, however each and everyone has a mildly cheesy element that could easily lend itself to a campy Werewolf Slasher. As such, they're not all that great for more dramatic affairs in my opinion.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

There can be only one!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Although I personally go with the genetic engineered alien experiment deal in my works, I think I'd prefer the no explanation route in Freeborn, as it's a werewolf movie, not a sci fi movie about werewolves.

You have to deal with alien influences very carefully, otherwise you run the risk of another Highlander II. The Men in Black really have had to work overtime to neuralize all of us and tell us that there is no planet Zeist, and what we thought was a Highlander sequel was in fact light from Venus refracted through swamp gas.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Yeah, in a book you have the entire novel in which the reader can forget the fact that any scientific explanation would be fudged. You don't have the same leeway in a movie, if you present an explanation that smells fishy, the audience won't have a chance to recover from that impression before the film ends.

That's of course, assuming that a science geek is watching/reading, a normal person probably wouldn't care. ;)
Vicious
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Vicious »

The only course that I have ever felt does proper credit to wolves is lycanthropy as a realisization of one's true soul or character.
No curse, no virus, no mutation.
Beauty isn't human.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

That's, a bit too..... spiritual for my taste. Well, not so much spiritual as much as it lacks coherency. I mean, I know people who think they really are wolves in human bodies but that doesn't magically make them turn into wolf creatures every full moon.

Remember, cause and effect, cause and effect.
IblisPendragon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ekte norsk varulv

Post by IblisPendragon »

The first werewolf ever was called Yorik, and he came from Russia. He was a bad fellow and liked to kill wolves for fun(much like som woolheaded Norwegians), the Devil didn't like this and punished the bugger. He had to be the creature he had killed so many times until he died..I don't think he liked it..
.? That is the problem with you mortals, you die too easily. You hardly fight back. A couple of pitiful screams and a little squirming and you are done. I can hardly call it satisfactory."

What's the point? They got their Keanu Reeves now...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think that werewolves make the "virus" from the glands in thier mouths.
when biting the virus makes it way threw the blood stream.
THE GAME

My Armory
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Silverclaw wrote:Alrighty, this one is kindof hard. What do you think are the orgins of the werewolf 'virus'? When did it first apper on earth? :? Much to think about indeed :)
my opinon is that the werewolf started to make it in the glads in its mouth so the werewolf can have genetic diversity
THE GAME

My Armory
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Silverclaw wrote:Alrighty, this one is kindof hard. What do you think are the orgins of the werewolf 'virus'? When did it first apper on earth? :? Much to think about indeed :)
It was the chicken. :howl:  :oo
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

*slaps head* of course! The chicken! Why didnt I think of that? :lol: Its always that damn chicken :P
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Silverclaw wrote:*slaps head* of course! The chicken! Why didnt I think of that? :lol: Its always that damn chicken :P
Not always. Sometimes it's the egg.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

My mistake :wink: Right again
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

If you ask me from quite awhile I'd have to say lycanthropy would be like a virus. But thats my personal opinion on this. Not precisouly a virus but would act like a virus. Inwhich it would invade the body inserting the werewolf DNA and information, which ofcource when infected that person is given the virus. How ever it came apon this earth, we may never know.

How many people does it take to fret over a made up virus to come to the conclusion, we may never know.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Now why didn't I think of that.

Wait...I didn't because thats silly.

I'm silly. We all are silly!! :jester:
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Now why didn't I think of that.

Wait...I didn't because thats silly.

I'm silly. We all are silly!! :jester:
Who are you calling 'we'?

Of fine, I'm silly too. *runs off to edit llama icon.*
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

It is El Puello Diablo!!!! *runs in fear*
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Now I am a silly llama.

Crap, the jingle bells on the hat are transparent too!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:Image

Now I am a silly llama.

Crap, the jingle bells on the hat are transparent too!
Soooo.....you wanna be silly, eh? I'll take a look at the hat and make some improvements for you. Unless someone else is already working on it. :jester:
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Rather than agreeing that no one can know the true origin of lycanthropy, that any such exploration of this origin is likely to drag a potentially decent werewolf movie into schtick, and that wolves have sillier hats than llamas, I'd like to see some more of those proposals as to how individual members like to imagine lycanthropy was started.

Personally, I link it back to a tribe of Homo habilis making a pact with the sky god Numi-Torem in what is now Siberia. Of course, I think Numi is another name for Ithiqua the Wind-Walker (of Cthulhu Mythos fame), and I believe the proto-humans were bred with a pseudo-demonic race called the gnophkeh, so this genetic offshoot of primals has alien and magical origins. They are my Mitochondrial Lillith. :lol:

Then it follows some evolutionary paths. The resulting hybrids became yetis and wendigowak as they migrated across Asia and North Am. Because of their demonic heritage, they were highly adaptable and fully able to interbreed with standard humanity, so that their offspring usually looked "normal".

An alien virus still plays a part, as it was transported to Earth via a chunk of the planet Thyoph which collided with the Earth (and resulted in the creation of the Moon). The virus inherits the dna of its carrier, but has the nasty effect of rewriting human dna to match the previous host. Most humans either die or fight off this effect (though a few actually become the animal carrier in a one-way transformation), but those who carry the primal dna adapt. They became the kitsune, werewolves, cynocephali, rakshasha, etc, and as they spread into Africa, Europe, and South America they added the boudas, berserkr, bruxsa, and other cool words starting with the letter 'B' to their ranks.

I could go on, but I suspect this won't appeal overly much to those not wanting to define the origins of the species, or just not wanting to tie werewolves into the works of H. P. Lovecraft (and friends).
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm