Thank God Harry Potter is ending...

The place for anything at all...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Thank God Harry Potter is ending...

Post by MattSullivan »

Now maybe someother struggling author will be able to get their work recognized, instead of this hack JK Rowling, who has done nothing but write the same story over and over for seven straight books. I don't begrudge her success, after all, she deserved it for the hard work and suffering she endured. But now maybe the world will realize there are THOUSANDS of other authors out there...authors, I might add, who can write circles around JK.
WhitePaw

Post by WhitePaw »

seconded :howl:  :oo
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Aff to that.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

Indeed! with hope the 7th movie will be out soon enough and we can really wash our hands of the subject. Just.. try to avoid the theme park they're building of it. <.<
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Now, i'm getting tired of it, but i would never do THIS. Buncha jerks driving around to different bookstores, yelling out the ending to book seven!( warning massive spoilers if true )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=83W4H69Kt0A
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

MattSullivan wrote:Now, i'm getting tired of it, but i would never do THIS. Buncha jerks driving around to different bookstores, yelling out the ending to book seven!( warning massive spoilers if true )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=83W4H69Kt0A
Can anyone that's read the book confirm this?

It is kinda' funny when you consider:
A) How quick they are about it (like a drive-by spoiler)
B) How blunt they are about it (it's still worth reading to figure out how said spoilers happen).
C) They still tell everyone to enjoy the book.

Me personally, I have nothing against J.K. Rowling. I think it's great that someone that was formerly a single mother on welfare used her creative talent to get out of the hole. . . But she definitely shouldn't have become a billionaire thanks to this series. She is a good writer, but she isn't nearly that good.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

ravaged_warrior wrote:The same thing happened during the last book, so it's probably real.
Hm. A'ight.

Yeesh. If everything in that former clip is accurate, I don't care that he spoiled it. What a sappy way to end it! The only thing I couldn't have predicted from that spoiler was the bit about Hedwig. :P
Draca
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Draca »

I went with some friends to the midnight unveiling. People were shaking and freaking out. Sheesh, you'd think it was New Year's or something. What's really disturbing is that Harry Potter has developed such a large following that it's beginning to rival other fandoms, even megafandoms, which I despise.

The more hype it gets, the more I'll put off ever having anything to do with it. (If I never hear the Macarena again, it'll be too soon.)
Draca
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Draca »

Z wrote:well, i gotta say macerena ppl have so far been more fun lol,, and i like ur sig
Yeah, at least it was over a series of months and not a series of years.

And thanks. ^^
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

The first Harry Potter book was good. After reading the second one, I gave up on it. The author really needed to come up with new main villans, other than he who must not be mentioned. (lol) The movies do pritty well at condensing the stories to the most important plot points, but after the first two movies, its became sort of pase'.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

What i DO respect her for is succeeding and lifting herself out of overwhelming poverty. I just had no idea she would become the wealthiest woman in Britain!
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

MattSullivan wrote:What i DO respect her for is succeeding and lifting herself out of overwhelming poverty.
Same here! :) That's really something to accomplish
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

what do you have against the books mat?
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

MattSullivan wrote:I just had no idea she would become the wealthiest woman in Britain!
I reckon Liz Windsor has probably got a few more zeros at the end of her bank balance than JK Rowling will ever have.

(read the first four books a couple of years back, reckoned the series "jumped the shark" after the third and haven't bothered with them since)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Midnight wrote:(read the first four books a couple of years back, reckoned the series "jumped the shark" after the third and haven't bothered with them since)
They started getting dark after that. After the third one (which was already fairly dark) it seems they always end after killing at least one major character in the climax.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Fenrir wrote:what do you have against the books mat?
What I have against the series is the fact that Potterverse relies so heavily on wands like as if they're bloody Pokemon. It's like, witch loses wand, witch is defenseless. Everytime that happens, i pull out another strand of hair. Where's the professor that teaches *HAND* magic?

Rowling should've gone bonkers with the magic and actually got CREATIVE with wand usage. I mean come on, how is a polymorphing spell that changes your wand into a whip not cool? They already had Godric Gryffindor's sword in the series.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

kitetsu wrote:
What I have against the series is the fact that Potterverse relies so heavily on wands like as if they're bloody Pokemon. It's like, witch loses wand, witch is defenseless. Everytime that happens, i pull out another strand of hair. Where's the professor that teaches *HAND* magic?
Ah, by making them helpless without their wands...they are more human. She did try her best to make the series as realistic as possible for a fantasy series. I like it. :D

Matt, may I ask...have you ever read the books? I cant stand critisims from people who havent even read them. And if you dont like them then why bother paying them any attention. If you cant say something nice, dont say it at all.

And for all the other authors out there that you think are being ignored...Im in the Harry Potter fourms. Between books, the fans suggest other good books to read while they wait.

And what is so wrong about people waiting in line for hours for a book? Better then wasting their life away doing drugs. They are using their imagination, expanding their minds and making friends. Sure, some people are nuts but theres very few of them. These books have made millions of kids pick up books again. And as silly as it sounds, the Wizard Rock bands that have come out of it have actually inspired thousands or fans to spend time, money and energy trying to make a difference. Its really quite an amazing fandom that Im proud to be part of. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

kitetsu wrote:What I have against the series is the fact that Potterverse relies so heavily on wands like as if they're bloody Pokemon. It's like, witch loses wand, witch is defenseless. Everytime that happens, i pull out another strand of hair. Where's the professor that teaches *HAND* magic?
Well, to be fair, at least she explained it... Or at least implied why it's like that.
-Jack Handey
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Because it's about magic silly. Magic...magic wands....the two kinda go together.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:
kitetsu wrote:
Ah, by making them helpless without their wands...they are more human. She did try her best to make the series as realistic as possible for a fantasy series. I like it. :D
But she also had it that you had to be born a wizard. She wrote fantastically, but she never bothered to make sense of anything.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

The wand had magical items in it, like unicorn hairs and s***. I think it was meant more to focus the magic. Early in the first book, Harry does magic, but nothing that he can really control, which is what the wand is for.
-Jack Handey
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

heres what I gotta say about it, I liked the books and all but I could never draw myself to read one fully, as for the movies I love them but I would not go crazy about them.

also my dad loves the series, I think he is reading the new book right now. either way I think its a good series and its not like everyone has forgotten about other authors -.-

also, think of it this way, atleast its getting people to actually do some reading
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I'm glad people are actually reading this thing. Oh, wait, There's movies. Never mind.

"You ever talk about a movie with someone who read the book? They're always so condescending, "Ah, the book was much better than the movie." "Oh really? What I enjoyed about the movie? No reading. It only took two hours, and then I could take a nap."" ~Jim Gaffigan

It' a moderately good series. I liked Vuldari's idea of a muggle sneaking in, and becoming a potions master. I just kinda went "eh" after Harry stared going through mood swings.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I can now read through this thread without fear of the last book being spoiled (just finished a few hours ago :D )
I really like the series, it is well written, and well thought out. Though it needed more werewolf scenes :P

Don't knock em till youve read em.

:)