The Bite, the ceremony, the birth, or the curse

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
redwolfmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Clawed Creator

Post by redwolfmoon »

Okay, I'm going to try to say the things I want to say as accurately as possible. With what Apokryltaros said after my last post, I apologize if I fall under the category of the 'Half-Assed Fact Giver', I'm not all that great on reports, C student!
I was not seeming to reject the 'facts' held in folklore and legend. I do not deny that, yet it would make sence that durring the time, any form of aconitine was oftenly used in leathal dosage, since it is hard to figure out under 1.9mg!!! As I researched before, anywhere from 2+mg WILL kill. However, that still leaves room for smaller doses that are healthy. This means that there is a possobility that a small dosage could cure lycanthropy, of course it is only hypothetical.
For Raltor, my theory on the bite is this. A lycan may contain a form of bacteria in the saliva (Why? Since it would be dangerous to regress back into human form with a full stomach, it would be healthy to have a bacteria that quickens the digestive process). It is when this bacteria enters a wound of a nonaffected person that it begins the process. It is obsorbed into the body so that the blood stream is not corrupted, a person who is just bitten would be 'infectious' for about 48hrs until it was fully ingrated into the brain and dna. After these 48hrs they are like anyperson, the bacteria changes and, if somehow introduced into anothers body, their white bloodcells would over power it. This keeps the bacteria contained to the Lycans mouth.
Go ahead, rip my theory to peaces cause you can't leave room for such possibilities. :D
Doodle, doodle, paint, paint, don't forget about the sex and violence!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Do realize that 1.9 milligrams of wolfsbane equals about a shred of a leaf that's less than 1 centimeter by 1 centimeter.
I get snippity about things like this because Aconitum is a deadly deadly plant, and that, sadly, there are people who had died horribly as a result of trying to make their own witch's brew, or herbal cures, even today.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
redwolfmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Clawed Creator

Post by redwolfmoon »

Yes, I realize. I realized that a while ago and it was not needed to be pointed out. It is because you can only have such a small amount that makes it nearly impossible to do anything with! :roll:
Doodle, doodle, paint, paint, don't forget about the sex and violence!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

While we're at it, the flower foxglove is also used to make the heart medication "Digitalin."
And despite having been used by "witches" and some apocatheries for treating people with heart conditions, I strongly advise against trying to make your own heart medication from foxglove flowers, as foxglove is even deadlier than monkshood.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Shadow_in_the_Moonlight
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Shadow_in_the_Moonlight »

okay..... what? this whole discussion was easy to understand in the beginning. what the heck happened?!?!? and wahts this about squids?
"The wise ones keep far from these Deeps,
for in the shadows dwell and creep
all manner dark and sere and fair
of twilight's kith - these woods their lair."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Squid are unaffected by neurotoxins such as sarin because of special enzymes.
-Calculon
Anathaera Lupin

Re: The Bite, the ceremony, the birth, or the curse

Post by Anathaera Lupin »

>Perhaps a ceremony? Since the werewolf may not be able to be human, perhaps the human love would be willing to become werewolf themself? I couldn't help >but imagine candles and incense burning in the forest, a human womyn before her transformed lycan love as she slowly grows fur and they run in the moonlite >together...<

I like this idea, personally. To me, the idea of a creature who just goes around biting random people in the middle of the night is too much like the B class horror movie version of the werewolf. After all, a few fan werewolf stories like "Top of the Mountain" by Ben Goodridge, found in the anthology "Furry" edited by Fred Patten, suggest a very rich culture for the werewolf community, and suggest that they are highly intelligent - moreso than the non-were beings can hope to achieve.

So, wouldn't it follow that they would only want to bring "newcomers" into the fold who were agreeable and perhaps have some trait that would be in some way beneficial to the werewolf community as a whole, and also that, through the transfiguration, the addition of were makes them whole and also more than what they could have been on their own, left in human guise?

The idea of a shamanic ceremony strikes me as something that would have developed and been passed down through the centuries. This isn't a "purity of blood" statement type of thing - that thinking is dangerous and history has shown many atrocities done in the name of blood purity - this is more the idea of bringing those into the fold that agree to it, have something to gain from it and ultimately bring benefit to the Were.

This ceremony can be done on a personal level as you suggested, or could be done with an assembled pack.

Yes, some of these ideas are not completely my own and I give credit where it's due.

hwlwnk 8) :o