The place for anything at all...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Long Extinct Alaskan Wolves

Post by MoonKit »

So I found a link about how there used to be a much larger wolf that roamed Alaska during the Ice Age and it became extinct.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123444.htm

Anybody ever wonder if maybe they didnt become extinct at all but just evolved to hide in human form? :wink:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

"highly carnivorous"?
That phrase struck me as a bit silly. But as far as size goes, they seem pretty similar to buffalo wolves.
Interesting find, MK.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Re: Long Extinct Alaskan Wolves

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

MoonKit wrote:So I found a link about how there used to be a much larger wolf that roamed Alaska during the Ice Age and it became extinct.

Anybody ever wonder if maybe they didnt become extinct at all but just evolved to hide in human form? :wink:
Very interesting find..This could explain therians maybe? :o Though I have to agree with the Rundi "highly carnivorous" ?! please... :P
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: Long Extinct Alaskan Wolves

Post by RedEye »

MoonKit wrote:So I found a link about how there used to be a much larger wolf that roamed Alaska during the Ice Age and it became extinct.

Shush! Don't go spreading ideas... :x
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

:lol: Im glad Im not the only one who thought "highly carnivorous" was over doing it. :lol:
LightPaws
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The 1st Alchemy using WerePomeranian evAr!

Post by LightPaws »

PariahPoet wrote:"highly carnivorous"?
That phrase struck me as a bit silly. But as far as size goes, they seem pretty similar to buffalo wolves.
Interesting find, MK.
Well, wolves have been known to occasionaly nibble on berries, so maybe these guys didn't? :?
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

True, the Mission:Wolf residents loved pumpkins and watermelons, but these people have no way of knowing that the extinct canids didn't.
LightPaws
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The 1st Alchemy using WerePomeranian evAr!

Post by LightPaws »

PariahPoet wrote:True, the Mission:Wolf residents loved pumpkins and watermelons, but these people have no way of knowing that the extinct canids didn't.
True. Unless they were frozen like mammoths and scientists could look into their bellehs! Um, yeah. Nevermind.

My cousin sometimes brings his wolf hybrid over when he visits. We keep the big fella outside because, surprisingly, he's scared of my pomeranian. After a few days, my sister began to complain because good ole' Baily ate all her tomatoes!(and a few strawberries!)
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Maybe the "extreme Carinvore" bit was due to the teeth, which were more extreme than today's Wolves.

All that aside, I'd wager they'd gobble down a "Double-Double" complete with cheese and lettuce, tomatoes and onions.
Then give you "Wolfy breath" all afternoon.... :lol:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

LightPaws wrote:
PariahPoet wrote:True, the Mission:Wolf residents loved pumpkins and watermelons, but these people have no way of knowing that the extinct canids didn't.
True. Unless they were frozen like mammoths and scientists could look into their bellehs! Um, yeah. Nevermind.

My cousin sometimes brings his wolf hybrid over when he visits. We keep the big fella outside because, surprisingly, he's scared of my pomeranian. After a few days, my sister began to complain because good ole' Baily ate all her tomatoes!(and a few strawberries!)
Well Im scared of Pomeranians too. :lol:

I think they just meant highly carnivorous because they ate BIG game. No bunnies for them but mammoths were good. :)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

RedEye wrote:Then give you "Wolfy breath" all afternoon.... :lol:
Hehe. ^^
But that would be the only time a wolf would have bad breath. Wolves that eat a natural diet of raw meat, complete with hide and bone have no smell at all to their breath. : )
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

PariahPoet wrote:
RedEye wrote:Then give you "Wolfy breath" all afternoon.... :lol:
Hehe. ^^
But that would be the only time a wolf would have bad breath. Wolves that eat a natural diet of raw meat, complete with hide and bone have no smell at all to their breath. : )
Yeah, but sometimes the center would supplement their road-kill diet with kibble (Purina actually makes an appropriate dry food). They seemed to like it, eating it before the meat and hide etc.
But it did give them gas like you wouldn't believe! Apparently the corn meal base wasn't well handled by their digestive system. Still, they were healthy and quite happy to sleep on me when they wanted to nap.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Aww, lol!
Mission:Wolf only feeds their wolves horses and cows that farmers donate when they die. Well, the puppies got some kibble and some salmon to help them gain weight, but the adults got pretty much only meat.
I can say I've been on the receiving end of a one-sided french kiss by Raven, and her breath had no smell at all. ^^ :lol: