What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Guild Wars Noob Questions!

Post by MoonKit »

So, I'm a complete nerd and Guild Wars looks interesting to me and I might get it for my birthday but I had a couple of questions that I couldnt quite find clear answers to.

1) To get the game I would just purchase it in a store and then it has codes or software or something to put on my computer and set me up right? And this one is a one time fee game right? Or does it have monthly charges?

2) Obviously you play online with other players but do you regularly fight other players or do you mostly fight boss type things?

I think that's it for now. I'd appreciate any help you could give to the noob. :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I haven't actually played it, but I think I can answer your first question, with some additional information.

1. No monthly fees. Hell yes.
2. I don't really know... However, just for some extra, though unrelated, info for you, I do know that it does not involve player levels, so you do, in fact, fight bosses and stuff with other groups of players. Doing it by yourself will get you killed.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Your answer to question #2.

Yes to both. You do fight monsters and the bosses give you special "Elite" abilities if you use some kind of absorb spell on the corpse. Mostly the game is about fine tuning your character to fight in arena style battles in anywhere from 1 on 1, to 6 vs 6 combat. The competition is intense, and rankings are very detailed. You can even watch other people's battles in real-time.

My character's name is "Kaebora" of course. I'll have to see if I still have Guild Wars installed, since I stopped playing a long time ago. I never reached level 20 with my main character. Just too busy to play MMORPG games.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Re: Guild Wars Noob Questions!

Post by Morkulv »

MoonKit wrote:So, I'm a complete nerd and Guild Wars looks interesting to me and I might get it for my birthday but I had a couple of questions that I couldnt quite find clear answers to.

1) To get the game I would just purchase it in a store and then it has codes or software or something to put on my computer and set me up right? And this one is a one time fee game right? Or does it have monthly charges?

2) Obviously you play online with other players but do you regularly fight other players or do you mostly fight boss type things?

I think that's it for now. I'd appreciate any help you could give to the noob. :lol:
Since you already have the answer for question 1, I'll try and answer question 2.

You only get to fight other players in special arena's, trainings etc. So basically all other fighting is just side-by-side in party's against AI-bots (that might sound dull to some people, but as a Guild Wars player I can say that that is not the deal here). You also need other players in quests (wich can be quite a drag, since its kinda hard to find motivated players to help you who don't ask a s*** of money for they'r 'services') to set off switches and stuff like that. But if you want my advice, just concentrate on leveling at the beginning. Like in most MMORPG's, leveling is very important in the beginning of GuildWars.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.