Oi veh. You might need to get out more. :P
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Wolf22
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Wolf22 »

I know. This is most likely the most social thing I do besides sports pratice and school. :(
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Silverclaw wrote:I guess the long scene in Freeborn with gestalt-formed werewolves playing basketball together doesn't help...
:wink:
As long as it's later in the movie.

I think the confusion will be settled once the first trailer for the finished product is released. My understanding is that it's werewolves described as human beings, and human beings are capable of aspiring to a greater good and sinking to lower evils than we can ever imagine. We do scare each other better than any Hollywood monsters do (Jigsaw anyone?), so I think a traditional Hollywood monster with that human capacity for evil would make for a great movie.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Free your mind, Neo. The full moon has you...

Post by Scott Gardener »

I think the initial reaction to a Freeborn pitch will be more along the lines of... "Huh. OK. I hadn't thought of that. But, if it worked for vampires, what the hey." Vampires got used backwards and forwards for comedy, drama, romance, action, sci-fi thrillers, and everything. Werewolves meanwhile have been used for horror and on rare occasion comedy. I know a few people will be bothered by the vampire comparison, but we're talking about layperson public people, who have no awareness or concept of spiritual therianthropy, astral projection shifting, Wiccan shapeshifting rituals, Furries, or any of the other stuff we take for granted as other permutations of lycanthropy. To them, werewolves are those things that are less popular than vampires but also available as Halloween decorations. The idea of doing an intelligent drama that doubles as a special effects action piece for the guy in tow will blow their minds.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
CimaKenzo
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by CimaKenzo »

They'd just better start focusing more on the werewolves.
Everything I've seen in the trailer makes it look like they couldn't afford werewolf suits.
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

In reply to Scott's post, I think the use of vampires as a comparison is fair as vampires have always been used as the opponent of them, both in stories and in real life popularity. It would be redundant to repeat what I said in my topic, but basically, it seems that vampires are more popular as they are easier to relate to physically and pass off their vampiric aspect as simply a side bonus. When it comes to werewolves, most people feel no need to dig deeper through what they see on the surface into the spiritual side, which also requires more than just a general understanding and analysis.

It is a shame that people are hardly aware of those lycanthropy permutations you speak of, let alone the meaningfulness held behind them. It seems to me many people want quick entertainment and pleasure without any thought of the actual meaning behind whatever it may be. I definitely feel that Freeborn can set a new standard in werewolf media as well as possibly open the public to what's truly behind what is commonly considered a "monster".
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Hmm, all this talk about 'mass market' and all makes me feel ill...

Let me just say this; I'd rather see FreeBorn to be a underground culthit than a overhyped Hollywood-break. Thats all I'm saying.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
theMoonlite
Legendary
Legendary

Post by theMoonlite »

Morkulv wrote:Hmm, all this talk about 'mass market' and all makes me feel ill...

Let me just say this; I'd rather see FreeBorn to be a underground culthit than a overhyped Hollywood-break. Thats all I'm saying.
Aye, I must agree! *shakes fist*
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

That is a pity...
You would stand a better chance making the world a better place by getting involved in all that then doing nothing or resorting to violence.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

CimaKenzo wrote:They'd just better start focusing more on the werewolves.
Everything I've seen in the trailer makes it look like they couldn't afford werewolf suits.
Really? The main-problem I had with the trailer(s) was the acting... That wasn't very convincing IMO.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Another problem

Can someone give me a comic with werewolves being baddass and still not being evil?[/url]
XIV
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

Dreamer wrote:Another problem

Can someone give me a comic with werewolves being baddass and still not being evil?[/url]
Man, a couple of the guys in that forum are complete morons. They immediately turn to childish antics and insults. Hell, the very first post was an insult.

They're the type of people that cannot go outside their enclosed little boxes even to get the mail.

Edit: Also, what the heck is with these types of people? They automatically turn to the "OMGZ ITZ EMO LOLZ!!111!" and "G00D WEREWOLVZ = LAMENESS!!1!"

Ugh. Man, Dreamer, I don't know how you could even stomach that forum long enough to post 28 times!

----
Last edited by Ashkin-Tyr on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Well, to be fair, the only one who went out of his way to say anything relevant was a complete asshole. I think it was more just general disinterest (personally, I don't mean to be rude, I didn't really like your description of the forum, either), coupled with a total asshole. This, for example:
One more thing: unless they're still homicidal maniacs, no one cares if werewolves are still sentient while being transformed.
Suggests dickery and a lack of creativity. Why would someone want a sentient werewolf? Originality, that's why. Idiot. And where homicidal maniacs fit into the picture is beyond me...

As for why Dreamer posts there, well... The main site is pretty damn good. Just sayin'.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

ravaged_warrior wrote:As for why Dreamer posts there, well... The main site is pretty damn good. Just sayin'.
I see. It just really urks me when people go out of their way to be complete jerk-holes. They cannot just say something like, "Sorry, but it doesn't interest me," but instead they throw insults at the topic poster and their interests.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Well, to be fair, the only one who went out of his way to say anything relevant was a complete asshole. I think it was more just general disinterest (personally, I don't mean to be rude, I didn't really like your description of the forum, either), coupled with a total asshole. This, for example:
One more thing: unless they're still homicidal maniacs, no one cares if werewolves are still sentient while being transformed.
Suggests dickery and a lack of creativity. Why would someone want a sentient werewolf? Originality, that's why. Idiot. And where homicidal maniacs fit into the picture is beyond me...

As for why Dreamer posts there, well... The main site is pretty damn good. Just sayin'.
YEp. Videogame Vault and Angry Videogame Nerd kick a**.

But what about the sentiment that some people allong with him ( I remember Vuldari for one) might hold, that maybe making werewolves sentient when changed (And therefore not homicidal maniacs) and able to change at will take away what is appealing (not to me or you but to others) about the creature?

And by the way Ravaged_Warrior, how would you describe this forum?
XIV
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

I wish I had a wii...

I want Metroid Prime Three...
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

What does this have to do with the topic at hand emoboy?

BACK ON TOPIC!
XIV