Jewelry

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Jewelry

Post by MoonKit »

Like a lot of others on this board, I have my own story with my own werewolves. Mine happen to be peaceful shapeshifters who can change whenever they want. And I never liked the idea of the clothes shifting too so I've always made them take them off. But I've run into a problem.

Two of my wolves are mated and have rings. Now other jewelry like bracelets, watches and necklaces can be baggy enough to fit both forms but rings would be far too tight on wolf fingers. And obviously I cant just get rid of the rings all together. Its a symbol. *sigh* So what do I do? It creates a dilema because I cant imagine them leaving something that valuable lying in a pile of clothes in the woods. Maybe they just wont wear them often. Though I dont like that.

Any ideas? Suggestions? ??
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kiri-Ryu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Wereraven in the Sky

Post by Kiri-Ryu »

Hmm...
A few ideas pop to mind. The first, and most obvious one is that they take them off before shifting. A small pocket in their clothes would allow them to secure them away, and stop it from falling out while traveling.
Another idea is to have a slit down the ring, allowing it to split and bend around the finger as it shifts. It might make the ring a bit out of shape after they shift back, but gold is pretty maliable, it shouldn't break and should easily be able to be bent back. (Hope I made myself clear with that one...)

Hope this helps. :wiggle:
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

they could wear the rings on necklaces. like, have a chain around their neck with the ring on it. like how frodo carried the Ring in Lord of the Rings. yeah. that's my idea.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

There are "Spring Back" rings that use a small leaf spring as part of the band and allow the ring to change size...usually when it's going to be worn over gloves or something.

You could just place the rings in the narrow parts of the Were's fingers: Wolves have narrow sections and wide sections on their paws, the narrow sections being at the joints, and the wide sections thru the pads on the fingers.

You said RINGS...what's wrong with Ear-rings or "other" body parts rings?
The Male Wulf could have his ring in the traditional spot for a "married male": through the nose... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Lord and Lady of the Rings

Post by Scott Gardener »

Can the rings expand and contract? This can be done through miniature mechanics if the idea of magic rings is against your plotline.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote: The Male Wulf could have his ring in the traditional spot for a "married male": through the nose... :lol:
If you knew my male character, you would be laughing your head off right now because of that suggestion. I can just imagine the appalled look on his face.

Nacho, you had a good idea about the necklaces. I have to debate that one. As for rings that change sizes, I'll have too look at a wolf paw more closely and see just how much it would have to stretch. And Scott, you also give me an idea. While magic is not very prominent in my story there are witches they could probably do that for them.

Thanks guys! You gave me several ideas to think about just as I hoped. You guys are awesome. :D
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

What about when they are about to transform they take it off and wear it like a necklace. It's less complicated and jewelers wont ask questions about why they are custom making wedding bands that can change size.

I have several characters in my story wear it on their dog tags when they are in gestalt form.

-or-

They have them make a larger set all together and switch rings when they TF,
THE GAME

My Armory
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

The necklace idea was foremost on my mind, as well. I also think that, given the personal and emotional significance of wedding bands, they would take quite easily to personal magic, depending upon how it works in your world.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

TakeWalker wrote:The necklace idea was foremost on my mind, as well. I also think that, given the personal and emotional significance of wedding bands, they would take quite easily to personal magic, depending upon how it works in your world.
what do you mean? Like its so important to them that it becomes part of them and changes? Is that what you meant by personal magic? You've got my attention. :o
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Perhaps your plotline could be slightly modified to use the old Celtic "Bracelet" type wedding ring. In some parts of Ireland, the custom is still followed, in that there are not only rings exchanged, but bracelets as well-that aren't removable easily.
Why?
Werewolves usually are depicted as having more-or-less human (Smooth) sized wrists. A bracelet (de Catenas) wedding band would therefore fit either the Wulf or the Smooth.
Just an idea...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

MoonKit wrote:
TakeWalker wrote:The necklace idea was foremost on my mind, as well. I also think that, given the personal and emotional significance of wedding bands, they would take quite easily to personal magic, depending upon how it works in your world.
what do you mean? Like its so important to them that it becomes part of them and changes? Is that what you meant by personal magic? You've got my attention. :o
Heh, I'm sort of babbling about things in my own head... :oops: Basically, what I'm saying is that wedding bands have such personal significance and symbolism for the person wearing them that they would take easily to magical alteration, and dedication; even more easily than clothing.

I think one thing you haven't said (at least, I don't think you have) is whether these weres are going into gestalt form or true wolf. If it's true wolf, then a necklace would work, but not a bracelet (which is another good idea if they're gestalt). Also, the rings could simply 'vanish', not showing up on the transformed werewolf, no matter what form they change into.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Split rings or ball rings would work. Also, as an alternative, they could put the ring on a smaller finger or further up in the middle of their finger while shifted, or could instead wear them as pendants on chains around their necks.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

You could try having them braid the ring into their hair, though that would depend on how long their fur is in their non-human form.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

TakeWalker wrote:
MoonKit wrote:
TakeWalker wrote:
I think one thing you haven't said (at least, I don't think you have) is whether these weres are going into gestalt form or true wolf.
Only wolf...well except for that one time. But that was before the matter of the rings.

Theres been so many good ideas. I'm amazed. I expect maybe one or two ideas. Thanks guys. 8)
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

(Well,
In the clawless ones work, he has several werewolves who are married, engaged etc.
Only thing is, he never really thought about that particular problem.
However, and this is just an idea that popped into our shared head, but what if the rings, "vanished" but appeared on the paws as colored bands, that change back into the ring when they shift?
Probably not what you were looking for. Sorry.)
(8) question by the way. It'll make the clawless one think a little more.
Thanks.)
Shadow_in_the_Moonlight
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Shadow_in_the_Moonlight »

going off of take walkers idea... couldn't said personal magic some how turn rings into a less painful and conventional.. collars? think about it. whereing a ring on the paw would cause raw spots, chaphing, and blisters. wearing it on a chain could lead to getting it snapped on a branch which in turn would lead to some heavy duty stress-inducing "OMG where is it?!?!?" trauma
"The wise ones keep far from these Deeps,
for in the shadows dwell and creep
all manner dark and sere and fair
of twilight's kith - these woods their lair."
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

They should just take their jewlery off before they change. To be on the same side, so they wouldn't damage anything. Like you would take your clothes of before. It makes sense.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Try having the ring meld to the finger and take the shape of a finger armor.